80 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:27 AM

A terrific find by doublenoughtspy. This looks like a MAJOR work and MUST have.

Posted Image
'Ian Fleming's James Bond: Annotations and Chronologies'
Major new 007 reference book by John Griswold just released

#2 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:52 AM

Just when I thought all the bases were covered as far as subjects go another one comes our way. Sounds quite different from the usual fare.

#3 North Scorpion

North Scorpion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:31 AM

What a great piece. This looks like a major work that is sure to be revered among Fleming devotees. One thing I found interesting: a university in Indiana has all Mr. Fleming's minutiae? Who bequeathed that? Or what did they pay for such a collection?

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:24 AM

Looks really good to me. Might just grab this one.

#5 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:02 AM

Wow! I think this was inevitable. It could be argued that James Bond is the 20th century equivalent of Sherlock Holmes in literary terms and academics have long since discussed every conceivable aspect of the Holmes canon; it seems a natural progression to do the same for 007. My one miserly caveat is that it might stop the reader from joyfully stumbling across an interesting reference by accident - there's a danger that information overload could rob the books of some of their romance. But then I'm a miserable old scrote. Annotations and Chronologies looks as though it is going to suck the marrow from the raddled bones of Fleming's novels and provide lots of pleasure for Fleming fans. I might just buy it if the Finance Department accepts my chit.

I hope May has washed Bond's underpants.

#6 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

What a great piece. This looks like a major work that is sure to be revered among Fleming devotees. One thing I found interesting: a university in Indiana has all Mr. Fleming's minutiae? Who bequeathed that? Or what did they pay for such a collection?

View Post

Yeah I've always wondered how they ended up at the U of Indiana. Has anyone ever seen the works or know if they are accesible to the public?

This new book seems way to good to pass up.

#7 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:40 PM

Here's the link to the Fleming archive, which draws Bond fans like bears to honey:

http://www.indiana.e...eming/home.html

#8 North Scorpion

North Scorpion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:13 PM

Thank you Mr. Hitch for the link. Unfortunately, it still does not explain how they came to be the holders of the collection...perhaps I'll need to do some investigating. From my understanding, I thought a university held special collections of prominent alumni or citizens associated directly or indirectly to the university.

#9 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:22 PM

Thank you Mr. Hitch for the link. Unfortunately, it still does not explain how they came to be the holders of the collection...perhaps I'll need to do some investigating.

View Post

From that site: 'The Fleming manuscripts, 1952-1962, are writings of Ian Fleming that the Lilly Library purchased from Fleming's widow, Anne Fleming, in 1970.'

#10 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:15 PM

Ian Fleming's James Bond: Annotations and Chronologies for
Ian Fleming's Bond Stories

For more details and a Free Preview of the Introduction, proceed to:

http://www.authorhou...rchCatalog.aspx

Enter the author

#11 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:26 PM

The book also has an annotation for the origin of the
name

#12 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:34 PM

Interesting that IFP were prepared to give their blessing to a self-published book.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:19 PM

Interesting that IFP were prepared to give their blessing to a self-published book.

View Post

And provide a forward. :)

#14 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:14 AM

This pretty much sounds like a "must". Great find, always had hoped for something like this.

Must see to get it into my hands asap.

Can anybody tell something about print on demand books? I assume they are paperbacks. I'd rather have a pack of 16 or 32 pagers to have it properly bound (to have it as a real "book"), but I don't think this'll be possible. Or is something like this optional?

#15 AlphaSigOU

AlphaSigOU

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Station HSV - Huntsville, Alabama (formerly Station KWA - Kwajalein)

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:55 AM

This pretty much sounds like a "must". Great find, always had hoped for something like this.

Must see to get it into my hands asap.

Can anybody tell something about print on demand books? I assume they are paperbacks. I'd rather have a pack of 16 or 32 pagers to have it properly bound (to have it as a real "book"), but I don't think this'll be possible. Or is something like this optional?

View Post

Most print-on-demand books are trade paperback size, though some are published (for an additional cost). While traditional publishers look down on print-on-demand as the modern-day vanity press, it's a good way to publish a book that has a very narrow readership scope that most major publishers won't touch. Best thing about P-O-D is that the book is made to order and rarely is kept in stock by major booksellers. It's also good for formerly published authors who want to reprint their books.

I had a print-on-demand book made a couple of years ago for my high school's 20-year class reunion. For about $200 (it's a lot more now) you can have a book published. It certainly isn't gonna make the bestseller lists anywhere, but at least I don't have a stackful of unsold books gathering dust, as few traditional booksellers will stock them.

#16 Melanie

Melanie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

This book was written in 2002 and released in February 2005.
Did I get that right?

#17 ianfleming1

ianfleming1

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:59 PM

Hi,
Yes, the book was written in 2002 after twenty plus years of solid research. I finally had the time to write the book using my notes. The actual 'First Edition' has a 4/15/05 publication date. A preliminary proof copy was inadvertently released to the public with a publication date of 1/28/05.
I chose to publish with a print-on-demand publisher because it gave me greater control over the layout of the book and its content. I do hope you enjoy it and hope there will be new readers coming along to read Ian's Bond stories.

All my best,
John Griswold

'Ian Fleming's James Bond: Annotations and Chronologies for Ian Fleming's Bond Stories' officially approved by Ian Fleming Publications Ltd (formerly Glidrose), with a Preface by Andrew Lycett and Foreword by Zoe Watkins, Publishing Manager, Ian Fleming Publications Ltd.

Preliminary Proof copies of this book, which were inadvertently released, have the following notation:

Edited by ianfleming1, 08 May 2005 - 04:18 PM.

#18 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

As I am reading through this thread I wish I would have gotten the overnight shipping instead of standard mail.

#19 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

Hi,
  Yes, the book was written in 2002 after twenty plus years of solid research. I finally had the time to write the book using my notes. The actual 'First Edition' has a 4/15/05 publication date. A preliminary proof copy was inadvertently released to the public with a publication date of 1/28/05.
  I chose to publish with a print-on-demand publisher because it gave me greater control over the layout of the book and its content. I do hope you enjoy it and hope there will be new readers coming along to read Ian's Bond stories.

All my best,
  John Griswold 

View Post

Thanks for the info, John. I think you can see we are all very excited about this. I've ordered mine. Can't wait!

Glad to have you here at CBn. :)

#20 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:10 PM

Ordered mine. :)

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

This book sounds a must. :)

#22 Melanie

Melanie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

Would you be so kind as to post reviews asap?

My copy supposedly arrives in 11 to 14 business days.
Probably using a row boat to ship it across the pond. :)

----

Thanks for answering my question John.
I am one of those new readers.

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:31 PM

I'll add in a review when I get mine. Shame about the long 9-13 or so days shipping date on amazon.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

I think doublenoughtspy, who discovered this book and really knows his Fleming, is going to do the official CBn review.

#25 Melanie

Melanie

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

Shame about the long 9-13 or so days shipping date on amazon.

View Post

Update on Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours from Amazon.com

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

:)

#27 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:47 AM

My copy shipped yesterday. Looking forward to some great Bond reading this summer :) .

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:44 PM

I just changed mine to the quicker shipping, so I should have it in a few days. :)

#29 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:31 PM

Don't get too optimistic - I ordered form Amazon.com last Monday on 24 hour delivery and mine still hasn't shipped yet!

#30 Blofeld's Barber

Blofeld's Barber

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

Got mine - looks very intersting!