39 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:01 AM

Okay. So you've finished the book (and read no further if you haven't). You then start to think about all the things in the book that foreshadow the Fleming adventures.

Here's just a quick list of things that caught my attention.

-- First (and perhaps more obviously) the scar. Hellebore cuts James' face when he catches up to him towards the end of the book - you know right before Wilder and Martini come to his rescue...

-- Then the injection. In what shocked me James gets injected with the SILVERFIN serum. Does this account for some of the superhuman things he does later in life? Okay, that's a stretch but I found myself thinking about that as I was reading it.

-- Also, how about those breathing exercises, the ones he learns at Eton after having been beaten in the swim? Certainly, this helps James in the novel - but it can't have hurt in later years/adventures.

#2 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:47 AM

-- First (and perhaps more obviously) the scar. Hellebore cuts James' face when he catches up to him towards the end of the book - you know right before Wilder and Martini come to his rescue...

View Post

I never thought about this. Thanks for pointing it out.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:53 AM

-- Also, how about those breathing exercises, the ones he learns at Eton after having been beaten in the swim? Certainly, this helps James in the novel - but it can't have hurt in later years/adventures.

View Post

Good thinking. As you say, this surely must have helped. Interesting list DLibra.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:14 AM

Thanks Devin. :)

Of course add to that list May the Scottish housekeeper. I'm sure that she is meant to be the same May from the Fleming novels.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:27 AM

-- Then the injection. In what shocked me James gets injected with the SILVERFIN serum. Does this account for some of the superhuman things he does later in life? Okay, that's a stretch but I found myself thinking about that as I was reading it.

View Post

Oh, I TOTALLY thought that, DLibs! In fact, I was shocked after I read the book because to me it looked very much like what Higson was saying was the Bond "edge" was due to this childhood injection of the SilverFin. James Bond is the product of a genetic mutation. He's an X-Men! LOL.

But then I asked Higson in our CBn Interview (it's the blacked out "spoiler" question) and he said, "no." He hadn't even considered this. The effect of the serum wears off.

(But can something that changes you on a genetic level "wear off"?)

I then felt silly for thinking this, but it really seemed to me to be the big "twist" of the book and something that might be explored in later books.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:38 AM

I then felt silly for thinking this, but it really seemed to me to be the big "twist" of the book and something that might be explored in later books.

View Post

I don't think it can wear off so it seems a very plausible and reasonable question to ask. It certainly had me thinking about it which is why I put it on the list.

James also says something to the effect that his aunt says that the scar will disappear, but its evidently still there when he returns to Eton because his friends ask about it, so perhaps Charmian was just trying to make him feel better.

On an unrelated note, I really would like to see Kelly and Wilder appear in later books.

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:54 AM

Kelly? No. Hated him. The goofy sidekick. Not in my Bond universe. Okay, maybe have him come back as a villain.

Wilder? Yes. Now that James has the silverfin in him, maybe he'll know what to do with her. :)

#8 Trempo

Trempo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:01 AM

Good thread DLibrasnow,

Another one. Is the strongman in the circus "The Mighty Donovan" the father of Donovan Grant from "From Russia With Love"? Although Fleming called him "The Mighty O'Donovan"

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:19 PM

Kelly? No. Hated him. The goofy sidekick. Not in my Bond universe. Okay, maybe have him come back as a villain.

Wilder? Yes. Now that James has the silverfin in him, maybe he'll know what to do with her. :)

View Post

Couldn't agree more regarding both characters. But please please please don't bring back the damned horse named 'Martini'. :)

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

I like "SilverFin", but I do have a few gripes, the biggest being that it's hard to believe Higson's hero is the same person who goes up against Scaramanga and Nick Nack in 1974 and knows Sheriff J.W. Pepper. :)

(Which tells you a lot about my idea of proper James Bond. :) )

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

One thing that bugged me was when James and Red are burning down the castle at the end and one of the guards (can't remember the name) is attacked by the pigs and catches on fire. It's said that James sees something as the man's dying but it's not made clear what it is.
Any ideas?

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

I like "SilverFin", but I do have a few gripes, the biggest being that it's hard to believe Higson's hero is the same person who goes up against Scaramanga and Nick Nack in 1974 and knows Sheriff J.W. Pepper. :)

View Post

At least Pepper wasn't in the book The Man With The Golden Gun. :)

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

View Post

At least Pepper wasn't in the book The Man With The Golden Gun. :)

View Post

Well, he should have been. :)

"Get your cotton-picking schnozz out of my pants, y'know!"

The character was just pure Fleming (especially if we believe those who claim that Bond's creator had a, shall we say, relaxed attitude towards things like racism and political correctness).

After which utterly gratuitous championing of THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN/blatant threadjacking, back to "SilverFin": :)

View Post

Oh, I TOTALLY thought that, DLibs! In fact, I was shocked after I read the book because to me it looked very much like what Higson was saying was the Bond "edge" was due to this childhood injection of the SilverFin. James Bond is the product of a genetic mutation. He's an X-Men! LOL.

But then I asked Higson in our CBn Interview (it's the blacked out "spoiler" question) and he said, "no." He hadn't even considered this. The effect of the serum wears off.

(But can something that changes you on a genetic level "wear off"?)

View Post

I wondered the same, zen, so if you're silly, I'm silly. Erm, I guess we're both silly, then. :) Nah, it was a bit like INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, which poses the question:
/spoiler.gif
has Indy become immortal
/gen_line.gif
?

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:53 PM

One thing that bugged me was when James and Red are burning down the castle at the end and one of the guards (can't remember the name) is attacked by the pigs and catches on fire. It's said that James sees something as the man's dying but it's not made clear what it is.
Any ideas?

View Post

Yes...he says that it appears that the bottom half of the mans body is missing.

#15 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

Must have missed that. I meant to go back and re-read it to see if it made anymore sense. Thanks for clearing it up.

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

View Post

LOL. Good point. I didn't mind Kelly. I did think that Wilder was underused and would like to see her (and Martini) return in a future novel.

So Devin, what'd your issue with the horse? I liked the fact that the horse was named Martini.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:59 PM

Good thread DLibrasnow,

Another one. Is the strongman in the circus "The Mighty Donovan" the father of Donovan Grant from "From Russia With Love"? Although Fleming called him "The Mighty O'Donovan"

View Post

Great catch Trempo :)

#18 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:48 PM

Just re-read the bit that was bugging me and it does indeed say that the "lower half of the gillie was missing". I think it was the word 'gillie' that threw me since this is not one that I'm familiar with.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:46 PM

So Devin, what'd your issue with the horse? I liked the fact that the horse was named Martini.

View Post

It just seems like a childish attempt to make a link with the adult Bond.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:49 PM

Well my roomie has two dogs, both of whom are named after alcoholic drinks - Pims and Finney - so I guess the fact that Higson named a horse Martini seemed only natural to me

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Two different views on it then. I only looked at it from a James Bond standpoint.

#22 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:13 AM

View Post

View Post

I agree unless Wilder's father likes martinis.

#23 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:45 AM

Sorry, fellas, I am going to still pass on this one. I am going to wait patiently for someone to write more books when he maimed, killed, and screwed with the best of them.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:03 AM

Sorry, fellas, I am going to still pass on this one.  I am going to wait patiently for someone to write more books when he maimed, killed, and screwed with the best of them.

View Post

Not even going to read it from a library or something of that nature?

#25 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:39 AM

Nah, Qwerty, I just don't think I'm going to spring for this one.

#26 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:52 AM

Well my roomie has two dogs, both of whom are named after alcoholic drinks - Pims and Finney - so I guess the fact that Higson named a horse Martini seemed only natural to me

View Post

My grandad just to have a dog called Whiskey.

#27 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:20 AM

View Post

View Post

View Post

Thinking of the word "martini" in the context of the adult Bond world, was the horse shaken or stirred at one time during the book. Perhaps that's how Bond decides how he wants his martinis made - a throwback to a chidhood incident. Pretty lame notion, I know.

#28 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:36 AM

Anybody out there more likely to consider Silverfin "genuine" Bond when they have the true US First hardback in their hands rather than a crappy paperback?

I certainly am.

#29 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:42 AM

I already consider it "genuine" Bond and that's exactly what it's supposed to be.

#30 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:51 AM

I already consider it "genuine" Bond and that's exactly what it's supposed to be.

View Post

You misunderstand me. I already accept the link between this Bond and the Fleming character (one and the same).

I mean from a purists point of view, having a hardback first (as all the official titles have had) makes it feel more genuine.