15 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

Question - Does EON automatically control rights to the Higson continuation novels? Or just the right to develop new stories based on the adult character that Fleming created?!

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

I think we debated this in the SilverFin movie talk thread. What I've been told is Eon automatically holds rights to Higson books just as they did Gardner and Benson (unless there's some loophole, but I doubt it).

#3 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

I think their perky behinds are covered. The rights extend to the character James Bond. Higson's novels are explicitly based on that character, hence the movie rights are Eon's.

That's my opinion, but I could be wrong.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

I removed my question from the Gardner thread because I thought it really didn't belong in there.

Interesting theory about EON and the Higson books. I think there is a very gray area there since Higson is writing books on a character that Fleming did not. Sure the name is the same but all the Bond traits have yet to be established and he's not working for British Intelligence etc.

If EON does hold the rights, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony were anxious to revv up a young Bond frnachise to compete with Warner Bros. Harry Potter bohemoth.

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:46 PM

[mra]The fact that Eon was able to do

#6 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:54 PM

Higson is explicitly writing about the James Bond, under licence from the Ian Fleming foundation. It is still James Bond, just a younger version. The books are being marketed and sold as young James Bond stories.

If, on your own accord, you were to write a book about an orphan named James Bond, with all the little details we know about his childhood, and somehow get away with getting it published, claiming that it's a totally different character that might be another story (but who'd buy it?). There should be a gray are somewhere around there, but not when you are explicitly saying that this is about James Bond's youth.

I truly hope Eon can withstand any pressures to create a 'YJB' movie or franchise. I just can't stand the idea. Kinda makes me cringe.

#7 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:58 PM

I truly hope Eon can withstand any pressures to create a 'YJB' movie or franchise.  I just can't stand the idea.  Kinda makes me cringe.

View Post

Quite right... the very thought is not a pleasant one...

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:03 PM

I truly hope Eon can withstand any pressures to create a 'YJB' movie or franchise.

View Post

Oh I'm sure that EON is under pressure. Remember, the second Harry Potter movie (released back in 2002) made $100 million more than Die Another Day in the US market.

#9 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

I truly hope Eon can withstand any pressures to create a 'YJB' movie or franchise.

View Post

Oh I'm sure that EON is under pressure. Remember, the second Harry Potter movie (released back in 2002) made $100 million more than Die Another Day in the US market.

View Post

That's why I'm afraid. Very afraid. This is very much realistic stuff. The thing is, they'd bring in gadgets, write in some sort of mini-Q (or is there one already in the book?). Maybe a TV-series is more likely.

Each to his own I guess, I can always just not go and see it. As if... :)

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:21 PM

I'm still in the process of reading SILVERFIN but I think it's great stuff and very much a page-turner. A really good read.

#11 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:57 PM

[quote]That's why I'm afraid.

Edited by Aussie21, 07 April 2005 - 06:00 PM.

#12 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:09 PM

[quote name='Aussie21' date='7 April 2005 - 18:57']
[quote]

Higson, and hopefully EON, wouldn't want to tread in the "Agent Cody Banks" territory.

View Post

[/quote]

Don't put ideas like that in front anyone to read. They might just try an amalgamation of JB, HP and CB. I'm sure they'd be there by the third movie.

#13 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

I think we debated this in the SilverFin movie talk thread. What I've been told is Eon automatically holds rights to Higson books just as they did Gardner and Benson (unless there's some loophole, but I doubt it).

View Post

They hold the film rights to the James Bond character in whatever form he/she/it may take, they don't hold the rights to the stories published by IFP. So if they wanted (as an example) to use a Gardner book as the basis for a film they couldn't do it without purchasing the film rights for that particular novel.

This is my understanding after reading tons of information on Fleming/MGM v McClory/Sony. Didn't Cubby also state that he would rather hire his own writers to write a story rather than to go back to IFP/Glidrose too? That kind of implies that they would have to get authorization or the rights from IFP to ever use one of their stories.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:21 PM

[quote name='Aussie21' date='7 April 2005 - 17:57']I haven't read the book yet, but the interview with Higson on CBn had him stating that having a "young Q," "young M," or a "young Moneypenny" in the Young Bond universe was virtually out of the question because it made no sense in the history of JB.

#15 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:39 PM

I should really stay quiet on this since I'm not a great fan of Bond continuation novels in general (and the YB idea in particular), but I like your idea on M, Loomis. That's the kind of stuff that could work.

Edited by Skudor, 13 April 2005 - 02:40 PM.

#16 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:50 PM

I should really stay quiet on this since I'm not a great fan of Bond continuation novels in general (and the YB idea in particular), but I like your idea on M, Loomis. That's the kind of stuff that could work.

View Post

Thanks. 'course, it'd risk accusations (of the kind that have been levelled at Benson) of laziness ("He should create his own characters instead") and fanboyish trainspotting ("Wow, I bet Higson thinks he's being really clever by that reference to a geisha called Trembling Leaf"), but:

A. There's more need to shore up HigsonBond's, erm, Bondian credentials (and surrounding him with a few Fleming characters from time to time would seem a good way of doing that), than there is to shore up BensonBond's; BensonBond is an adult, the same old seasoned professional 007 we all know and love, so there's no need to introduce him or prove anything. HigsonBond, on the other hand, is a kid, who's yet to turn into.... James Bond.

B. One of the things I found irritating about Benson's use of Fleming characters was the diabolical liberties he took with them. However, Higson wouldn't be able to kill off Fleming characters, turn good guys into bad guys, etc.