This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

For Your Eyes Only: Reviews & Ratings

29 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate For Your Eyes Only?

How do you rate For Your Eyes Only?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Admiral

The Admiral

Admiral

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7777 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:45 PM

Posted Image

This thread is intended for reviews and ratings of For Your Eyes Only by members of the The Blades Library Book Club here.

Please do not reply directly to reviews in this thread, rather start a new thread to ask questions or post comments about reviews.

#2 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:23 PM

"The Quantum of Solace" is one of the oddest things I've ever read. While reading it, I didn't like it. It had nothing to do with spy fiction, nothing to do with James Bond really, it was merely a story being told to Bond about a couple and their problems. What's amazing about this story is how much I like it in retrospect. Like I said, it's odd. The more and more I think about this story, the more I actually like it. While the story may not be full of adventure as previous Fleming tales, the point of the story was to show that Bond's adventures pales in reality to real-life drama or so I believe, and thats really whats amazing to me. I sit here after viewing twenty-plus James Bond adventures on film and after having read most of the Fleming's novels, and this mans fictional life is nothing, in my opinion, even remotely close to boring, yet this is how Bond feels and that this tale between the couple is interesting and fascinating to him. It's a real flip.

The rest of the anthology's stories are pretty good, but they're not really amazing, IMHO. My least favorite of them all was "Risico".

#3 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:28 PM

Just finished re-reading "From A View To A Kill." I remembered this as being one of my least favorite Fleming shorts, but I found it quite enjoyable this time around. Notable: Bond says he hates Paris. Pretty much Fleming's feelings bleeding into the story, I'd gather. I did like the whole bit concerning Bond's rather elaborate plans for a successful night out with a pretty lady in the City of Lights. Especially his willingness to ply her with 50,000 francs up front, to put the whole money issue behind them, so they can proceed directly to enjoying themselves. Quite amusing. I really like these glimpses of the not-on-the-job Bond.

Once Bond gets involved in the espionage plot, I continued to find it an interesting read. It was a fairly routine affair, but anything with gypsies in it, always strikes my fancy. This story could make a decent sequence in a film someday.

#4 Almadjian

Almadjian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:12 PM

K1Bond007, you're right. This story reminds me of the Magnificent Seven when Charles Bronson is telling the farmers' children that their dads are braver than the gunfighters because they face risks much more important on a daily basis--the struggle for a peacable existence. Quantum of Solace is great because of the lack of action, the real-life human drama it portrays as opposed to the pulp fiction we commonly associate with the current bond stories and films.

#5 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

"The Hildebrand Rarity" is one of my favorite short stories in general and my favorite story from this collection. It's a great bit of storytelling that gives us a nice insight into what Bond is willing to let slide and what he won't stand for. Krest is a truly loathesome creation and oddly enough I could see Anthony Zerbe playing this version of Krest even better than the LTK version.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

My favorite short story from the collection is the title story, but I also really like "The Quantum of Solace." Really its a great collection and I like all of them - I always thought "Risico" would make a good movie title but apparently Wilson says nobody knows what it means.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:27 PM

An review/summary of sorts:

From a View to a Kill

A brisk, fast paced short story that pits 007 against Soviet spies that are setting up

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:40 PM

Great write up Devin...perhaps a poll to determine everyones favorite short story in the collection might be in order!

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

I think we may have one - but if I don't find it, certainly will.

#10 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

A long while ago I wrote reviews for the first few stories in this book. It can be found here. If I get a chance I'll try to re-read the stories I didn't review, and post a write-up here.

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:54 AM

Love the reviews so far - just bumping this for those who haven't posted one yet. :)

#12 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:30 PM

Just finished re-reading the 2nd and 3rd stories in the collection. For Your Eyes Only seemed a tad less engaging than I had remembered it. The bit in M's office was excellent. Love to see the old man squirm! And I enjoyed Bond's entree to North America via the Canadian office. One thing to note: 3/4 whiskey and 1/4 coffee is a mean mixture! I found the assault on the house curiously unsatisfying. And the denoument even moreso. Perhaps I've read this one too many times. Perhaps it's the fact that Ms. Havelock seems underdrawn. Perhaps I was wanting some s-e-x before the fadeout. :)

In any event it's a good yarn, but I now rate it lower than From A View To A Kill.

Quantum of Solace is a story I very much enjoyed the first time I read it, and continue to enjoy with each subsequent reading. It's not a Bond story at all, obviously. And in fact, to me, it strongly evokes Agatha Christie doing Ms. Marple. It had that very English air full of class, cruelty, angst and irony. Top stuff IMO. I did find myself wishing the good fortune hadn't befallen the traitorious femme fatale. Don't know what that says about me.

I'm just starting into Risico. This has historically rated at or near the bottom of my rankings of this collection. Will post more thoughts soon.

#13 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:26 AM

So far read the first 3 stories and loved them all!

However Quantum of Solace was the standout story for me. A glimpse into the people's lives during colonial days.

I am sure there are many older people out there that would love to turn the clock back to the days of servants, socıalısing all day and growing rich off the sweat of the natives.

#14 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

Risico:

As mentioned in a previous post, I had less than glorious memories of this story. And as the events in the restaurant in Italy unfolded, I was feeling only marginally engaged. For some reason, this bit of Fleming (i.e. the first section of this story) just doesn't grab me. As things move out to the beach, however, my interest picked up. I conjured up decadent visions of Lisl Baum sunbathing :) , and the chase along the peninsula is gripping. From the moment Bond awakens on Colombo's boat, I was caught up. I love the Colombo character. He's just as charismatic in the book as Topol made him on film (or was I just imagining him as Topol?). The assault on Kristatos' wharehouse is a nice action set-piece. Bond getting Lisl's services as a reward is quite a nice touch.

Overall, I enjoyed it more than I had remembered from the last reading. It's a bit unengaging, esp. in the early going. But the pace keeps the pages turning. I currently rate it the lowest of any story in this collection.

The Hildebrand Rarity:

The reputation of this story seems to grow with each passing year, and everyone apparently likes it. Personally, the fact that it's set in The Seychelles is a big plus right out of the gate. I've long dreamed of visiting this exotic and remote island group. Interestingly though, Fleming (via his characters) speaks unflatteringly of these islands.

That fact notwithstanding, one of the overriding strengths of this story is the excellent sense of atmosphere created by Fleming. While reading, I felt immersed in remote tropical ambience. I could palpably sense the warm, humid, breezy air; the soothing waters of the Indian Ocean; and the overpowering blast of air-conditioning when entering the boat's chambers. Too, the kaleidescope of colour afforded by the underwater ventures fairly drips off the page. Every time I read this story, I recommit to taking the family there someday.

Fleming does a nice job with the characters as well. Milton Krest is indeed a nasty man, and like Genrewriter, I can't help picturing Anthony Zerbe as Krest (I can't remember how I pictured Krest prior to the release of LTK). His comeuppance was anxiously expected, and the bizarre nature of his death/murder was classic. My only tick is for the resurfacing of Fleming's approach to American vernacular. He's seen too many Film Noir, IMO.

The story is engaging enough to propel the reader onward. But the true glory of this 5-star effort is in the characters, and the atmosphere.

Overall, I give the collection 4 stars (It rates higher than some of the novels IMO). Individually, I rate the stories thusly:

FAVTAK = 3 1/2 stars
FYEO = 3 1/2 stars
QOS = 4 stars
R = 3 stars
THR = 5 stars

#15 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:20 AM

The Hildebrand Rarity:

The reputation of this story seems to grow with each passing year, and everyone apparently likes it. Personally, the fact that it's set in The Seychelles is a big plus right out of the gate. I've long dreamed of visiting this exotic and remote island group. Interestingly though, Fleming (via his characters) speaks unflatteringly of these islands.

That fact notwithstanding, one of the overriding strengths of this story is the excellent sense of atmosphere created by Fleming. While reading, I felt immersed in remote tropical ambience. I could palpably sense the warm, humid, breezy air; the soothing waters of the Indian Ocean; and the overpowering blast of air-conditioning when entering the boat's chambers. Too, the kaleidescope of colour afforded by the underwater ventures fairly drips off the page. Every time I read this story, I recommit to taking the family there someday.

Fleming does a nice job with the characters as well. Milton Krest is indeed a nasty man, and like Genrewriter, I can't help picturing Anthony Zerbe as Krest (I can't remember how I pictured Krest prior to the release of LTK). His comeuppance was anxiously expected, and the bizarre nature of his death/murder was classic. My only tick is for the resurfacing of Fleming's approach to American vernacular. He's seen too many Film Noir, IMO.

The story is engaging enough to propel the reader onward. But the true glory of this 5-star effort is in the characters, and the atmosphere.

Excellent post Bon-San!

I felt exactly the same way reading the Hildebrand rarity. As a matter of fact
this short story has ignited my desire to travel to some similar tropical island groups closer to home in the South Pacific mainly the Cook Islands and French Polynesia.

#16 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

Cheers, Byron.

I've long wanted to see the South Pacific as well. Especially French Polynesia! Must make it there before I die! :)

#17 North Scorpion

North Scorpion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

Just finished Q of S in FYEO. While I think this is a great reflection of Mr. Fleming's views on marriage, I don't know why he would make it a Bond story. It featured none of what we have come to expect from Fleming's Bond. I am a fan of artistic expression, but my time is limited...when I pick up a Bond book, I want a Bond story. If you have something to say about relationships, Mr. Fleming, save them for a short story or a novel outside of Bond.

#18 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:23 PM

I've been behind in my reading so i just finished "From A View to a Kill".

The story is much better than I remembered. I love the way Bond ferrets out the spies. The motorcucle scenes are really exciting and should be used ina film. In fact it would make a great pre-titles sequence or thet start to a novel.

One thign though: what the hell does the title mean? Is it a play on some expression that as an American I am unfamiliar?

Wouldn't either "Crash Dive" or "Route de le Morte" have been a more appropriate title?

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:42 PM

One thign though: what the hell does the title mean? Is it a play on some expression that as an American I am unfamiliar?

View Post

Not that I know of. I think it's appropriate because of the surprise killings of other characters in the story.

#20 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:28 PM

View Post

Not that I know of. I think it's appropriate because of the surprise killings of other characters in the story.

View Post

It's from a British hunting song.

"From a find to a check,
from a check to a view,
From a view to a kill in the morning"

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:03 PM

Hey, very cool. Thanks K1! :)

#22 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

K1,

Thanks for solving that mystery. I have never seen that referenced in anything about Fleming or Bond that I have read.

Now the title makes sense.

#23 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

Just finished the story FYEO.

Man its better than I remembered. Fleming goes into such detail yet never bores. They were smart to take as much as they did from the story for the movie.

I had forgotten that "When seeting out on revenge, first dig two graves."I love that line.

#24 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

I finished "Quantum of Solace" last night.

Great title and a very good story.

I first read it more than 20 years ago and did not appreciate it then. Now I do.

However one wonders why Fleming made this a Bond story? Coud it be he wrote it when he was tired of Bond and wnated to make Bond work for him instead of vice-versa?

#25 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

Me too - I first read QoS a long time ago and enjoyed it, but a later reading impressed me much more. Fleming said somewhere that (to paraphrase) he thought he could write a War and Peace-type novel but couldn't be bothered to put in the effort. QoS does seem to suggest that Fleming had a very different type of novel inside him; I think it's one of the most intriguing stories in the whole Bond series.

#26 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:11 PM

I finsihsed re-reading FYEO last week and just wnat to add my two cents on the last two stories.

RISICO: I love this story. I was kind of stunned wehn I realized that it is not really any longer than the story FYEO (actually its shorter) or some of the others. However it has the Fleming sweep so it feels much more like a novella than the others. It is truly a terrific story. I wonder if Columbo later inspired Fleming to create Draco, there are many similarities.

The Hildebrand Rarity: Again a great title from Fleming and his descriptive powers are remarkable. He really knows how to make you feel like you're snorkling in the Sheyselles, even if you have never been near them or the ocean even. This is truly what sets him apart from his successors.

The story however, while good is not geat. The whole "mystery" aspect of it, leaves me flat. Fleming gives us two suspects and leaves it up in the air for Bond and the reader as to "who dunnit?" As for me, I thnk that only Liz Krest could have killed Milton, so I don't come away with the feeling Fleming wants us to have.

In any event the book is a very fun collection of stories any all of which are worth reading.

#27 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

FAVTAK = 4 stars
FYEO = 2 stars
QOS = 5 stars
R = 3 stars
THR = 1 stars

I dont have much to say about these short stories.
As can be seen above, I most enjoyed the first story "From A View To A Kill" & "Quantum of Solace", which in my opinion was a bit of surprise, since it had nothing to do with James Bond. This story especially captivated me, for the whole time, I used for reading it.

The last story was just boring, hence 1 star out of 5 stars-

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:25 AM

The last story was just boring, hence 1 star out of 5 stars-

Interesting. To each his own, but I don't often see “The Hildebrand Rarity” tagged with a low rating. Was it the plot, characters, etc... that didn't work for you?

#29 Blonde Bond

Blonde Bond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2006 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

The story wasn't interesting. Not to me anyways.
Maybe it was the late hour & maybe I need to read this story again someday.
But as for my first impression; catching a rare fish > not that interesting. I mean there was not much else going on.

#30 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:59 PM

Been re-reading FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, and last night took in (this is an apt way to describe it, I think) the superb THE HILDEBRAND RARITY.

I seem to recall just skimming this one first time round, a couple of years ago, but now, paying attention and savouring it, I feel it's right up there with YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE as one of Fleming's most atmospheric and compelling works, rich in intoxicating travelogue detail. Bon-san puts it perfectly:

While reading, I felt immersed in remote tropical ambience. I could palpably sense the warm, humid, breezy air; the soothing waters of the Indian Ocean; and the overpowering blast of air-conditioning when entering the boat's chambers. Too, the kaleidescope of colour afforded by the underwater ventures fairly drips off the page.

Another thing THE HILDEBRAND RARITY has in common with YOLT is that it most definitely doesn't deliver What You'd Expect From A James Bond Yarn™. There's an emphasis on character, and, as Genrewriter points out, it gives us "a nice insight into what Bond is willing to let slide and what he won't stand for". (By contrast, in RISICO, the story immediately prior to THE HILDEBRAND RARITY, 007 is more or less just in cardboard cutout mode, an uninteresting action man.)

This insight yields some surprises, which I'll put in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

Excellent stuff, though, and quite possibly one of Fleming's best works. Still can't work out who the killer is - anyone with any interesting theories?