52 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:25 AM

So I just got my copy of SILVERFIN today (how about that Amazon.co.uk getting a customer in the U.S. the book a full day before the official release -- woo hoo!). But one curious thing I noticed was that the "Other Young Bond titles" page it says Book 2 is due for release in October 2005...but a full page advert for Book 2 in the back of the book says it's due for release in January 2006?

So which is it? And does this mean we have a first printing that is an error edition?

#2 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:29 AM

Yah, probably an error, Zen. This whole young Bond series was doomed from the get-go, if you want my opinion. Plus, from reading the synopsis, sounds like a very crappy story.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:38 AM

Hope it's some sort of error, as I'll soon be getting my copy.

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:21 AM

I emailed IFP for clarification. Hope the release is October '05. I was bummed when I heard it was Jan.

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:49 AM

I'm guessing those copies will become collectors items.

#6 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:26 AM

So I just got my copy of SILVERFIN today (how about that Amazon.co.uk getting a customer in the U.S. the book a full day before the official release -- woo hoo!). But one curious thing I noticed was that the "Other Young Bond titles" page it says Book 2 is due for release in October 2005...but a full page advert for Book 2 in the back of the book says it's due for release in January 2006?

So which is it? And does this mean we have a first printing that is an error edition?

View Post

Hi, zencat!
I've got my copy since last saturday and I live in Germany. I too couldn't understand why I got it so fast. And it is seemingly the same edition as it sports the same ad "...security cleared for release in January 2006".

#7 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:28 AM

View Post

Hi, zencat!
I've got my copy since last saturday and I live in Germany. I too couldn't understand why I got it so fast. And it is seemingly the same edition as it sports the same ad "...security cleared for release in January 2006".

View Post

But does it say Book 2 is coming October 2005 on the "Other Young Bond Adventures" page in the front of the book?

#8 Trident

Trident

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2658 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:40 AM

No, in the front of the book it reads January 2006 as date of release too. Sorry, I mixed it up. Looks as if your copy is indeed pretty rare. Thake good care of it. :)

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:45 AM

No, in the front of the book it reads January 2006 as date of release too. Sorry, I mixed it up. Looks as if your copy is indeed pretty rare. Thake good care of it.  :)

View Post

Really!? :)

Well that's just weird. Mine says October 2005 in the front.

Do I have a rare misprint?

Others please chime in with what they have.

#10 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:01 AM

Zen what exact edition do you have? More than a week ago I got my copy from Play.com but was very annoyed to find out it was a 2nd printing (it had a small '2')... :) my copy says January 06

#11 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:33 PM

I just returned from my local bookshop where luckily they sold the true first edition ('1'). It is as Ze described it, with the wrong publication date for #2. Already in the second impression of Silverfin ('2') they corrected this error. Hang on to that first edition! :)

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:09 PM

[quote name='J J' date='3 March 2005 - 01:01']Zen what exact edition do you have? More than a week ago I got my copy from Play.com but was very annoyed to find out it was a 2nd printing (it had a small '2')... :)

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:18 PM

Well I hope my copy from amazon.co.uk is a first with this error. Good/bad chances, what do you think Zen? Don't think it has shipped yet, but I ordered quite a few days ago.

#14 philbowski

philbowski

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:49 AM

Mine just shipped, I hope it's a first edition.

#15 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:20 AM

Got mine today, and it's the first edition error. I wasn't expecting the book for a few more days, but good ol' Amazon got it to me today. The only thing is that the top of the front cover is slightly bent, probably happened when they packed it.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:45 AM

Just read the book shipped. I'm hoping. :)

#17 Taboo

Taboo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 10:29 AM

:)

#18 Kristatos

Kristatos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 251 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:33 PM

I have received it in Germany last Thursday and it is a Nr. 1!

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='3 March 2005 - 06:45'][quote name='Trident' date='2 March 2005 - 22:40']No, in the front of the book it reads January 2006 as date of release too. Sorry, I mixed it up. Looks as if your copy is indeed pretty rare. Thake good care of it.

#20 Goldeneye.

Goldeneye.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Location:Working on production of Now or Never, Coming soon in 2OO7

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:17 PM

Heh, I've got it!

#21 eyeinthesky

eyeinthesky

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

Mine says October 2005 at the front and January 2006 at the back. So it's one of the rare copies, yes/no? :)

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

Looks like it. :) Welcome to CommanderBond.Net.

#23 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:24 PM

Seems the majority of us are getting the first. I'd be interested to know at what point this error was caught and corrected in the second printing. Remember, this first print run of SilverFin was going to be 150,000 (that's HUGE compared to Benson's 5000), so even if the print run was completed with a corrected second edition, there still might be quite a few SilverFin firsts out there. Might not be as rare as I first suspected. I guess time will tell.

#24 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, with 150,000 copies out there it should be fairly easy to find a copy.

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

Yeah, with 150,000 copies out there it should be fairly easy to find a copy.

View Post

All 150,000 are not firsts. The existence of the second tells us the 150,000 print run was completed with a corrected second edition at some point. Question is, how many firsts rolled off the presses before the correction was made?

I'm actually on the hunt now for a corrected second. :)

#26 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:30 AM

Am I too cynical to suggest that this "error" could've been placed to help boost interest in sales, and as a result boost values in collecting circles?

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:39 AM

Am I too cynical to suggest that this "error" could've been placed to help boost interest in sales, and as a result boost values in collecting circles?

View Post

If that were the case, I doubt they would have left it up to little old us to discover it. Of course,
a seller on eBay is now using the error as a selling point, so...

A post over on the Young Bond forums by someone who seems to be in the know is saying at least 9 printings have this error, so there may be more error copies than non-error copies out there. However, if this error lasted through 9 printings, how is it someone here said they had a corrected second printing?

This is getting interesting.

#28 J J

J J

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:43 AM

100% certain (as stated in my earlier post) that my 2nd printing has the corrected Jan 2006 release date for book 2... maybe they changed it back to October 05 in printing 3 thru 9?? :)

Edited by J J, 07 March 2005 - 08:44 AM.

#29 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:48 AM

My copy - a second print - says 2006 consistently.

#30 AB3

AB3

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

Hi there, new to the forums but not to the site.

been watching this thread as very intrested in this.

my copy from play.com that arrived the other week was a 2nd printing, which i thought was strange seeing as play.com had their books early. read the article on the error and that explained it. i went out to my local book shops to find that waterstones and boarders had the first printing, so i bought a few copys, as you never know!

and have just found that a few of the book collector websites have started to pick up on this:

http://www.inprint.c...helf_life.shtml

http://www.rarebooknews.com/

both link back to CBn.net but thought that it was quite intresting that they have picked up on it.

anyway really enjoyed the book, and the glimpses of how bond became bond.