This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

What other movies does everyone like watching?

64 replies to this topic

#31 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 09:22 AM

Oh, jeez, most of my favoirtes have already been mentioned, my list looks a little mainstream I'm afraid, oh well, here goes...

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
Dirty Harry
Independace Day
The Untouchables
Rear Window
Ferris Bullers Day Off
Magnum Force
The Blues Brothers
Superman
The Silence of the Lambs
The Rock
Romancing the Stone (You're serious right Mr Moon ? I concur)
Shaft (Old one, new one was okay though)
Men in Black

#32 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 02:14 PM

HEAT (1995) is the greatest crime thriller EVER made!! Stylish with wonderful photography and excellent score - I've seen it about 15 times!
I think its De Niro's finest movie - he's supercool in this film! Al Pacino is great too.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 03:52 PM

Blue Eyes (05 Apr, 2002 06:33 a.m.):
Fight Club - I was on Zencat's website and I noticed a script he'd written Catfighter and it mentioned it was a cross between one film and Fight Club. So I went out and watched Fight Club. What a drug induced trip that film is!?!?!

Hey, I'm glad I turned you onto Fight Club, Blue Eyes. I liked the movie when I saw it in theaters, but I've really come to love it on DVD. It IS a trip.

#34 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 04:20 PM

I like a lot of these, (Dave is a nice little comedy, BC!) some I've never seen, but one I don't see listed to my shock and surprise is VANILLA SKY! I saw that movie with my girlfriend and we totally loved it. Now, I've heard the spanish language version is better, but having never seen it, i wasn't tainted. Anyone have an opinion?

#35 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, a mate of mine loves Vanilla Sky, I personally think its ****, mainly because I can't stand Tom Cruise he's a pint sized buffoon.

Does anyone agree that Stanley Kubrick is a genius? And does anyone agree that 2001: A Space Odyssey is the greatest movie ever made.

#36 DavidFries

DavidFries

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 06:05 PM

mrmoon (05 Apr, 2002 06:42 p.m.):
Yeah, a mate of mine loves Vanilla Sky, I personally think its ****, mainly because I can't stand Tom Cruise he's a pint sized buffoon.

Yeah, alot of people don't like him. I myself have managed to remain neutral on him personally, and I thought he did a credible job with the lead role. I was also very impressed with Penelope Cruz in her role. Very engaging.

#37 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 05 April 2002 - 06:06 PM

Dirty Harry

Magnum Force

(That Dirty Harry Movie with Tyne Daly. What's it called?)

The Gauntlet

Planet Of The Apes

Escape From Planet Of The Apes

The Odd Couple (the 1968 one)

The Star Wars Movies

Disclosure

That's all I can think of at the moment.

#38 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 06:12 PM

Here's a couple more

A Bronx Tale

Meet The Parents

#39 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 07:19 PM

[quote]Dr. Tynan (05 Apr, 2002 07:08 p.m.):

That would be, The Enforcer, the dirtiest Harry of them all, according to the trailer from the film.

My favs would have to be:

The Contender
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Heat
The Insider
The Lethal Weapon Series
Airplane!
The Naked Gun Series
and a few others.

#40 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 10:14 PM

I like anything really, ranging from Titanic to Con Air, black and white to Technicolour/color. I especially enjoyed American History X. I watched it for the first time today. I loved it, not because of all the violence and I love violent films, even if I'm only 16! What about The Train, with Burt Lancaster? Anything that I've seen, I enjoy. Apart from those kind of films you see over and over again that end up getting boring...e.g. Halloween!
P.S. though I'd mak it short so that I don't list every film I've seen, wasting time and effort for all those who 'read' each film title! I admit, I didn't!

#41 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 10:44 PM

This is a rough question because I like a certain types of movies -- but not all the movies that fall into that type, if you know what I mean.

The Pierce Brosnan Canon: I guess I should confess that I have seen about 97% of the movies and miniseries' that PB has done. (And that includes his brief apperance in the "Hammer House of Horror TV Series" but not "The Professionals") I enjoy his movies because he does tend to play different types of characters, once he steps back from Bond. My absolute favorites of his include Grey Owl, TCA, ToP, and the miniseries "Noble House."

Spy movies: I don't think I have seen one yet that has disappointed me. I love the thrill of the chase, and all the cross talking that goes on in such a film.

Action movies: They are so mindless in the sense that there is no hidden symbolism to look for, no hidden agenda to the dialogue. It is straight forward, in your face, ride by the seat of your trousers fun! I consider "The Rock" and "Men In Black" to be among my favorites.

Cartoon Charcter Movies: Chrisopher Reeve was a very awesome Superman, and if anyone ever gets the chance to see them, you should. I also love Michael Keaton's "Batman" movies, although that series went downhill after MK left. I am looking forward to the "Spiderman" movie, and I will now rent "X-men" just to see how Hallie Berry does.

Older Disney Cartoon movies: I admit that Beauty and the Beast is an amazing movie, but the real gems of the Disney collection are the movies that came out years and years ago -- Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty.

"Classic" films: In the US that term is usually applied to films made before the year 1960. Of those I enjoy the technicolour musicals, the movies of Clark Gable, Cary Grant, and Katherine Hepburn.

Independant movies: I like the small, quiet films that are made by film makers who do not always get a push from mainstream Hollywood. Of these my all time favorite is a movie called "Surf Club" that is extraordinary for its absolutely flawless underwater cinematography. If you can find it -- see it.

That covers it! Aren't you glad you asked!

-- Xenobia

#42 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 11:01 PM

[quote]walther (Edited) (05 Apr, 2002 08:19 p.m.):
[quote]Dr. Tynan (05 Apr, 2002 07:08 p.m.):

That would be, The Enforcer, the dirtiest Harry of them all, according to the trailer from the film.[/quote]

#43 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 11:06 PM

I'd just like to go back and develop a few points on my liking of the HalloweeN series and at the end, I have a small favour to ask you all.

As you may or may not know, there were two versions of 'HalloweeN:The Curse Of Michael Myers' produced. The first cut was far superior to the final and has so far never been officially released. It is extremely sought after by die-hard fans and so far the only copies available are illegal bootlegs.
This leads me to the favour that I'm asking you all to do me. The HalloweeN fan community would seriously like to see the release of the 'Producer's Cut' of the movie. To do this, a petition has been set up to urge 'Dimension Films', who made the picture, to release a VHS/DVD which incorporates both versions of the film.
All you have to do is leave your name and a valid e-mail address. You will not receive any SPAM as a result of this, and the only e-mail you will receive is confirmation of your signing, which does not need to be replied to, and contains a letter that can be copied and sent to your friends, to urge them to vote. You can also leave any comments you wish to make, when you sign.

This is the link to the petition:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/h6pc/

and these are links to sites which contain info on both versions of the film:

http://konker.tripod.com/curse.html

http://www.joblo.com.../halloween6.htm

http://www.joblo.com...halloween6b.htm

http://www.halloween...site/h6pcut.htm

Many thanks everyone and I hope it is OK that I posted this here. Feel free to delete it if you want Dan.
You don't have to vote if you don't want to; but every vote counts.

#44 RossMan

RossMan

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 11:20 PM

Enemy At The Gates
The Patriot
Rules Of Engagment
The Bone Collector
Movies from Tom Clancy's books: The Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games, Clear And Present Danger
The Bourne Identity (older TV mini-series, new Matt Damon version doesn't look too good to me)
The Untouchables
Unbreakable
Seven
The Silence of The Lambs (Hannibal wasn't as good, unfortanetly)
In The Line Of Fire
The occasion mindless action movie with Steven Seagal

That's just off the top of my head, most of them are fairly new but that's probably because it's what I seen most recently so it's fresh in my head.

Movies I want to see:
Spy Games
Hart's War
The Sum Of All Fears (upcoming)

What I've just seen last week:
Panic Room (if you haven't seen it then don't, it's ****)

#45 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Tanger

I'd just like to go back and develop a few points on my liking of the HalloweeN series and at the end, I have a small favour to ask you all.
As you may or may not know, there were two versions of 'HalloweeN:The Curse Of Michael Myers' produced. The first cut was far superior to the final and has so far never been officially released. It is extremely sought after by die-hard fans and so far the only copies available are illegal bootlegs.
This leads me to the favour that I'm asking you all to do me. The HalloweeN fan community would seriously like to see the release of the 'Producer's Cut' of the movie. To do this, a petition has been set up to urge 'Dimension Films', who made the picture, to release a VHS/DVD which incorporates both versions of the film.
All you have to do is leave your name and a valid e-mail address. You will not receive any SPAM as a result of this, and the only e-mail you will receive is confirmation of your signing, which does not need to be replied to, and contains a letter that can be copied and sent to your friends, to urge them to vote. You can also leave any comments you wish to make, when you sign.

This is the link to the petition:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/h6pc/

I've just signed the petition, Tanger (more than a year after you last posted on this thread - it's still up). I'm also a fan of the HALLOWEEN films (I guess my user name gives that away:D). I've seen all of them apart from RESURRECTION, which seems to be taking its sweet time coming to DVD in the UK. I have to ask, though, what were they thinking with HALLOWEEN 5? Michael collapsing with exhaustion and being cared for by the hermit at the beginning of the film, and at the end of the film being taken into police custody? (Does he only have his special powers on 31 October, I wonder?) The comedy cops, and Michael's unexplained saviour? Michael crying? I also thought the scenes of the little girl being menaced were in rather poor taste (admittedly, there wouldn

#46 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 08:57 PM

There are also scores of other great films I'd love to mention, but I'd probably overload this site's server if I did.:)

#47 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:34 PM

My favorite two movies (besides Bond of coarse) are Scarface and Dog Day Afternoon. Big fan of Pacino. My friends in school call me Scarface because I love to imitate his voice from that movie.

#48 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:22 PM

Whew, lemme think about this one a bit...

Dark City
Total Recall
The Bourne Identity
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Blazing Saddles
Super Troopers
The Boondock Saints
U-571
Star Wars: A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Predator
Predator 2
Commando (heh - sensing a trend here, anyone?)
Eraser
Evil Dead
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness
Batman (1989)
Spider-Man
X-Men
X-Men 2
Mortal Kombat
Deep Rising
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Red Dragon
Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal
Office Space
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Die Hard With a Vengeance
Darkman

Those are all aside from Bond, of course (I think my favorite one to watch over and over is DIE ANOTHER DAY).

If I think of more, I'll say something.

#49 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 12:33 AM

Here's a full list...

Scarface
Dog Day Afternoon
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II
The Godfather Part III
Planet of the Apes
Beneath The Planet of the Apes
Escape From The Planet Of The Apes
Conquest of The Planet of the Apes
Battle For The Planet of the Apes
Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Spaceballs
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
The Phantom Menace
Attack Of The Clones
Three Kings
Austin Powers
The Spy Who Shagged Me
Goldmember
X-Men
X2: X-Men United
Spider-Man
Superman Part 1, 2, and 3
Bedazzled (The original with Dudley Moore)
Gladiator
American Pie
American Pie 2
Scary Movie
Independance Day
Stargate

That's not even half of them!

#50 Sick Sense

Sick Sense

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 04:01 AM

ahhhhh good ole film. my favorite movie is a hard say. so ill name a few: fiding forrester - i love the soundtrack and the story. enemy of the state - wonderfully done, gene hackman was perfect. blackhawk down - great soundtrck by hans zimmer, saving private ryan - tom hanks is a god. now a list

stakeout
the rock
rocky - rocky V
little monsters
the wizard
peewee's big adventue
big top peewee
jurassic park
forrest gump
BIG
dumb and dumber

and many MANY more

#51 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 19 June 2003 - 10:52 AM

I now have a new favourite movie that I've been aching to watch for years but only just got on DVD:

RESERVOIR DOGS.

Classic!

#52 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 02:14 PM

Oh, wait - I forgot the GHOSTBUSTER films....

#53 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 05:35 PM

Psycho (1961)
A Hard Day's Night (1961)
The Godfather Trilogy (1972, 1974, 1990)
Jaws (1975)
Star Wars Trilogy (1977, 1980, 1983)
Indiana Jones Trilogy (1981, 1984, 1989)
Ferris Bueler's Day Off (1986)
Aliens (1986)
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns (1992)
Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter Trilogy (1991, 2001, 2002)
Patriot Games (1991)
Clear and Present Danger (1994)
Jurassic Park (1993)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
Forest Gump (1994)
Se7en (1995)
Austin Powers Trilogy (1997, 1999, 2002)
Croupier (1998)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)
Fight Club (1999)
Gladiator (2000)
What Lies Beneath (2000)
X-Men (2000)
X2: X-Men United (2002)
Swordfish (2001)
Spy Game (2001)
Ocean's 11 (2001)
The Bourne Identity (2002)
Signs (2002)
The Hire - BMW Films

#54 JmesBond2001

JmesBond2001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 11:36 PM

Damn, too many for me to list since I'm a huge movie buff. I will toss a recomendation though, go see Boondock Saints if you never have before.

#55 Sick Sense

Sick Sense

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:32 AM

oh my, that movie is incredible, and only 10 bucks on dvd, its great.
might i suggest "Just Cause" starring our very own sean cnnery. he plays a detective/lawyer who is trying to get an innocent man off of deathrow. but WHAMMO watch out for the twist. ed harris is unbelievable in that movie. go get it now. go go for the good of the city.

#56 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Tanger
I now have a new favourite movie that I've been aching to watch for years but only just got on DVD:

RESERVOIR DOGS.

Classic!

Great movie. I bought the 10 Years Special Edition of it a month ago, with Tarantino on the cover. Have you seen the other Tarantino films, Tanger? Highly recommended.

While I'm here:
Alien Quadrilogy
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Snatch
The Transporter
Red Dragon
The Silence of the Lambs
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Schindler's List
Scarface

#57 Robinson

Robinson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 04:51 PM

So many like-minded folks on these boards. Soon they all shall fall under my spell and thus my new army will be born.

In time, this planet and all who inhabit it will be MINE!:)

Jokes aside, here's my list:

La Femme Nikita
The Professional
Once Were Warriors
La Haine
North by Northwest
Lifeboat
Touch of Evil
The Towering Inferno
The Empire Strikes Back
The Insider
Hard Boiled
Aliens
Diva
Deep Cover
King of New York
Superman: The Movie
Heat
Sharky's Machine
Bullitt
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Long Good Friday
Fireworks(Hana-Bi)
Sonatine
Purple Rain
Die Hard
The Terminator
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Warriors
Streets of Fire
The Matrix
The Shawshank Redemption
The Five Heartbeats
City of God
The Dark Crystal
Scratch(Documentary)
Highlander
Malcolm X
Chameleon Street
Ninja Scroll
Metropolis (2001)

The more I think, the more films I'm coming up with. So I'll stop thinking now...

#58 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 08:23 PM

I need help from my friends in the UK. I'm in love with Minnie Driver's High Heels and Low Lifes. What I need to know is can someone recommend any other movies in this genre. If not I'll just keep watching it each time it comes on. ( a guilty pleasure.)

#59 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 09:50 PM

I always thought of Batman and Batman Returns as the best Superhero adaption to date (even better than Spider-Man, if it comes to atmosphere). Two of my all-time favourites. Well, what else... I guess I saw The Fellowship of the Ring about a hundred times already :) .

Also, I'm a fanatic when it comes to Bud Spencer/Terence Hill movies.

#60 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 21 June 2003 - 10:03 PM

first Star Wars trilogy
The Samurai trilogy
Raiders of the lost ark
Bladerunner
Predator
Boogie Nights
The English Patient
Crouching Tiger
Lonestar
Unbreakable
Casablanca
Clint Eastwood Spagetti western trilogy

*looking forward to:
Matrix 3
LOTR:ROTK
Spiderman 2
SWE3: so we can be done with it already!
Bond 21,22,23.... :)