47 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:45 AM

If you had the ability to decide which author would deliver the next James Bond/Young Bond book in 2005, which would youi choose?

Raymond Benson writing another original James Bond novel...

-or-

Charlie Higson with SilverFin, (as it is now)?

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:51 AM

Even though I enjoy Higson, it would be Benson with an original without a doubt.

#3 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:52 AM

Benson writing another original real James Bond novel. He was at the top of his game when they stopped him.

Now we have this horse[censored] coming soon to a bargain book bin near you!

#4 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 06:53 AM

Although I've only ever read Benson's novelisations, the first chapter of SilverFin is enough to make me cry, "More original Benson, please!".

#5 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:01 AM

Anybody but Benson writing a novel set immediately after Colonel Sun. Otherwise, don't bother.

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:09 PM

My choice is Benson as well, but I'm hoping SilverFin doesn't dissapoint too much.

#7 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:43 PM

Even though I enjoy Higson, it would be Benson with an original without a doubt.

View Post

Same here.

#8 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

I'm sorry but I think Benson is a terrible writer. I have read Silverfin and even though I was against the concept of a young Bond I think the book is far better written than any of Benson's fanboy attempts

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:01 PM

Sorry the editor in me makes me cringe whenever I read Benson. His command (or lack of it) of the English language is astounding.

I have yet to read any Higson so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. :)

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

Sorry the editor in me makes me cringe whenever I read Benson. His command (or lack of it) of the English language is astounding.

I have yet to read any Higson so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. :)

View Post

I tried to read "The Facts of Death", but found it so jaw-droppingly badly-written that I wondered whether Benson was taking the piss or had delegated the writing to a 10-year-old. I somehow managed to slog through "High Time to Kill", but, again, the prose is so dire that reading it almost hurts.

Then again, I like "Zero Minus Ten" and "The Man With the Red Tattoo". "Never Dream of Dying" is quite a good yarn, too.

But I'll go for Higson.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:12 PM

Right, whoever the book editor was on Benson's books obviously needs to be fired. I cannot believe that IFP allowed Benson's work to go to print without major overhauls.

They should have had a writer who understands English follow Benson and clean up his stuff. It really is painful to read - especially the earlier Benson novels.

#12 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 02:24 PM

Right, whoever the book editor was on Benson's books obviously needs to be fired. I cannot believe that IFP allowed Benson's work to go to print without major overhauls.

They should have had a writer who understands English follow Benson and clean up his stuff. It really is painful to read - especially the earlier Benson novels.

View Post

I think, if anything, this shows the all-around neglect the literary series was tainted with the last decade or so. It seems like the "guardians" of Fleming's estate didn't care what was thrown out there as long as they were reaping the profits. Why hire an editor?

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:35 PM

Well if ever an editor was needed, it was for the Benson novels.

His stuff may have had better plots than the other continuation authors, but with such jaw droppingly bad prose it's hard to even make it a couple of pages in.

#14 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:00 PM

I've only read HIGH TIME TO KILL of Benson's novels. I thought it was terrible. I'm supposing that the plots of his other novels are good, because that one wasn't in any way interesting: the plot was pretty close to THE EIGER SANTION - up a mountain, which one's the baddie - and there wasn't nearly enough about Bond's past (his parents died in a climbing accident, so you'd have thought it was a golden opportunity to do that). The plots must be good, because unless he got a really good editor, the prose would still be awfully clunky, the research very shaky and the understanding of other cultures minimal.

I'd quite like to read an adult continuation novel by Higson.

#15 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

Wow...as someone who's read and enjoyed all of the Benson Bonds, I don't know how I feel after reading some of your comments. I guess, different strokes for different folks, huh? Or, whatchyoutalkinabout, Willis?

#16 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:22 PM

I'm sorry but I think Benson is a terrible writer. I have read Silverfin and even though I was against the concept of a young Bond I think the book is far better written than any of Benson's fanboy attempts

View Post

MarkA, "fanboy" attempts - I really like that.

With you 100%

#17 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:26 PM

I think he just needed a decent editor. Look at the opening of HIGH TIME TO KILL:

'The barracuda surprised them by opening its jaws to an angle of ninety degrees, revealing the sharp rows of teeth that were capable of tearing out chunks of flesh in an instant. It closed its snarling mouth just as quickly, leaving a half-inch gap.

Had it yawned?

It was easily a twenty-pound fish. One of the most dangerous predators in the sea, the barracuda is an eating machine that rivals the ferocity of a shark. This one swam lazily along beside them, watching. It was curious about the two strange larger fish that had invaded its habitat.

James Bond had never cared for barracudas. He'd rather be in a pit full of snakes than in proximity to one of them. It wasn't that he was afraid of them but merely that he found them mean, vicious, and unpredictable creatures. There was no such thing as a barracuda in a good mood. He had to be on his guard without showing fear, for the fish could sense apprehension and often acted on it.'

The main problem with all of this is that barracudas are simply not that exotic anymore. We don't need to be told they're dangerous predators - everyone knows that. Fleming would have used something much more obscure if he were still writing. A much more unusual fish. 'Had it yawned' is a terrible thing to have so close to the start, as it really makes me feel I'm going to be bored myself. And basically, nothing has happened - he has the fish open its mouth just so he can tell us about it. How far are 'they' from the fish - are they really under threat? I'd have started:

'James Bond had never cared for barracudas, and this one was no exception.'

I'd then make his companion show fear - that's something Bond can't control - and have the barracuda sense it. It's all very long-winded and nothing much happens for several paragraphs. And this is some of the best writing in the novel.

#18 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:41 PM

Benson, without giving it a thought

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the excerpt and critique spynovelfan.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:58 PM

Like I said spynovelfan....appallingly bad writing by Benson makes his novels unreadable.

View Post

Four posts saying exactly the same thing. We get it already. You don't like Benson. You've made your point. :)

#21 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:40 AM

Hence the "Like I said..." at the start of the post :)

But on a point of order - I don't not like Benson. I do like BEDSIDE COMPANION. I just don't think his fiction work is written well. An important distinction I think.

#22 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:43 AM

I've only read HIGH TIME TO KILL of Benson's novels. I thought it was terrible. I'm supposing that the plots of his other novels are good, because that one wasn't in any way interesting: the plot was pretty close to THE EIGER SANTION - up a mountain, which one's the baddie - and there wasn't nearly enough about Bond's past (his parents died in a climbing accident, so you'd have thought it was a golden opportunity to do that). The plots must be good, because unless he got a really good editor, the prose would still be awfully clunky, the research very shaky and the understanding of other cultures minimal.

I'd quite like to read an adult continuation novel by Higson.

View Post

I'd recommend trying Zero Minus Ten if you like, it seems to be one of the more favored Bensons on here.

#23 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:07 AM

But on a point of order - I don't not like Benson. I do like BEDSIDE COMPANION. I just don't think his fiction work is written well. An important distinction I think.

View Post

Five times... :)

#24 GreggAllinson

GreggAllinson

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:52 AM

Haven't gotten around to reading Benson yet, and of course I haven't read SilverFin, but I'd opt for option "C": a continuation novel featuring an adult Bond in the late '60s written by a "serious" spy novellist or literary figure in the Kingsley Amis mold. Hell, where's Per Fine Ounce, already?

Edited by GreggAllinson, 16 February 2005 - 08:53 AM.

#25 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:17 AM

[quote name='GreggAllinson' date='16 February 2005 - 08:52']Haven't gotten around to reading Benson yet, and of course I haven't read SilverFin, but I'd opt for option "C":

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

Just type the words as is, don't need to substitute to bypass the censor. :)

#27 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:33 PM

View Post

Five times... :)

View Post

Righty, I was responding to Zencats post in which he said I don't like Benson.

#28 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:36 PM

[quote name='David Schofield' date='16 February 2005 - 04:17'][quote name='GreggAllinson' date='16 February 2005 - 08:52']Haven't gotten around to reading Benson yet, and of course I haven't read SilverFin, but I'd opt for option "C":

#29 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:44 PM

Presumably Per Fine Ounce must be really :) for it to be kept under wraps and Benson's stuff released.

View Post

[/quote]

Don't forget, there was the one Benson short story that wasn't released also.

View Post

[/quote]

A Benson story not released? How bad can THAT be?

But seriously, Qwerty, what was the subject of this banned masterpiece? Do you know?

#30 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:48 PM

You can read about The Heart of Erzulie on the CBn main page. I'm afraid I do not know a whole lot about Per Fine Ounce, but simply search through the older literary threads on CBn, it has been discussed.