This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Evil dead 4 with Bruce Campbell is a go!

13 replies to this topic

#1 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:32 PM

A fantastic movie announcement that rivals the latest Bond news--The long delayed Evil Dead 4 is a go! And Ash ala Bruce Campbell is back--Groooovy Baby! So we have two great Campbell announcements back to back--one Bruce and one Martin.

Sam Raimi was interviewed saying that Evil dead 4 is a go that he hopes to get off the ground by the end of this year. The great Bruce Campbell is set to return. This is just cool. For a long time it looked as it would never happen.

For any naysayers out there I say, "Excuse me Mr. Fancypants." :) And if you persist i'll have to bring out my BOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:37 PM

Sounds good to me. I just hope Raimi goes for the gusto and makes something along the lines of the second movie in terms of outrageousness with the humor of the third.

#3 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:41 PM

I love ED2 but I never did see 'Army of Darkness'(I guess I should). And what about Spiderman 3? :)

#4 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 06:50 PM

My guess is that ED4 would be a low budget, short schedule type film that Raimi could just do real fast before moving onto Spider-Man 3.

#5 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

I love ED2 but I never did see 'Army of Darkness'(I guess I should). And what about Spiderman 3? :)

View Post

It wasn't said how they will handle the Spiderman 3 schedule. Before this announcement Raimi was saying he would do Spiderman 3 first and then be free to possibly do Evil Dead 4. But if they get Evil Dead up and started by the end of the year perhaps Genrewriter is correct.

You have to rent Army of Darkness--it's crazy and hilarious.

#6 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 07:09 PM

Sounds good to me.  I just hope Raimi goes for the gusto and makes something along the lines of the second movie in terms of outrageousness with the humor of the third.

View Post

I'm with you here--that would be the right mix with Raimi's gonzo style. It could be fine without a much bigger budget BUT it would be cool to add some money and heft to the production also. With Raimi's huge success he shouldn't have a problem getting more budget.

#7 Brett Sinclair

Brett Sinclair

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:33 AM

Wow,great news.I've been waiting for a new Evil dead film for ages.
I can't wait :)

#8 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:45 AM

I think this is fantastic - I'm also happy to hear that they won't be using Ash for the Evil Dead remake, hence nobody will be ATTEMPTING to replace The Bruce.

One thing is certain about Evil Dead 4 - it needs to be cheap and silly, like the originals. I really hope that Raimi doesn't go big-budget just because he can. What makes the first three so fun and silly is the low-budget special-effects, especially the undead army in Army Of Darkness. C'mon, a bunch of plastic skeletons running around, killing people? How can you get ANY better than that?

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:50 AM

Hope this one turns out well. Raimi can do it. :)

#10 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 02:51 AM

I just watched the Director's Cut of Army Of Darkness - what a great, great movie. One of the best elements of it (aside from The Bruce, of course) is Joe LoDuca's excellent score. For a cheap, low-budget horror/adventure/comedy movie, it's large in scale, and just fantastic. I highly recommend checking it out!

#11 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 03:53 PM

I think this is fantastic - I'm also happy to hear that they won't be using Ash for the Evil Dead remake, hence nobody will be ATTEMPTING to replace The Bruce.

One thing is certain about Evil Dead 4 - it needs to be cheap and silly, like the originals.  I really hope that Raimi doesn't go big-budget just because he can.  What makes the first three so fun and silly is the low-budget special-effects, especially the undead army in Army Of Darkness.  C'mon, a bunch of plastic skeletons running around, killing people?  How can you get ANY better than that?

View Post

I absolutely agree. They can give it more budget BUT not necessary to throw money at it. That may hurt its low budget charm--2 and 3 had relatively increased budgets but not enough to lose its charm. Raimi is talented and gonzo enough that he doesn't need to throw money at the screen to make great entertainments though of course he can do that well also ala Spiderman. The old fashioned special effects in fact tend to suprisingly have more heft and realistic feel to the fantastical proceedings. As you say the great army of skeletons show that.

#12 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:06 PM

Reports say the movie maybe called Army of Darkness 2 instead of Evil Dead 4 since Universal is all excited about AOD instead of the first two deads. Which is fine by me I think AOD was the best of the trilogy even though I really liked ED2 also while ED1 isn't shabby either. I liked how AOD still had the gore but not as much as they added even more humor and some adventure also.

#13 IndyB007

IndyB007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:42 PM

Hail to the king baby...

#14 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:45 AM

Now, it makes me wonder - which ending of Army Of Darkness will they continue from? Raimi's original post-apocolyptic one, or the happier, run-of-the-mill Hollywood one where Ash is in present day? I personally think that it would be more interesting for them to pick up from the original ending, although, granted, fewer audiences will have seen that one...but then again, the people who are the most interested in seeing Evil Dead 4 are the die-hard fans, who have most likely seen the original ending anyway...

Eh, who knows...

All I do know is that the original ending reminds me of the last section of the videogame Evil Dead: A Fistful Of Boomstick, a fantastic action game that came out some time back. Like the movies, Ash gets thrown around through time, only to return to his own time, but it is now overrun by Deadites, and he takes them on as only Ash can. If you are an Evil Dead fan and haven't checked it out yet, I highly recommend you do - Campbell even does the voice acting for Ash, giving some really amusing one-liners, such as, "Hey, I've found a cure for ugly!"