This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Raymond Benson Returns to the Spy Game...Bigtime!

51 replies to this topic

#31 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:06 AM

Yeah but if you bought a signed copy you'd decrease its value by reading it.

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:45 AM

Just got a copy tonight, I didn't even know until tolday we had got them in at where I work.

#33 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:55 AM

Hopefully my copy will come before Christmas. I'm really looking forward to reading it actually.

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:56 AM

This is good news! I just started reading "Face Blind", so once I get around to finishing that I may take a look at this series.

I wonder if Raymond will sell copies of this on his webiste? We may not get it in Australia! :)

View Post

Well I found out the good news today...Raymond is also selling signed copies on his website for $9 (plus shipping to where ever you may be). I'm very happy about that, as I'd much rather buy it through him, get a signed copy, than to buy a copy off Amazon, whose likely price would be a lot higher than a copy direct from Raymond! :)

View Post

Argh. Now I find that out. :) Ah well, still looks like a good one, signed or not.

#35 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:14 AM

Yeah but if you bought a signed copy you'd decrease its value by reading it.

View Post

If you mean for sales purposes, I am only looking to keep this novel in my collection, not sell it at any point. :)

#36 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:19 AM

By value I meant either profitable or personal. Wouldn't you feel better though if it stayed in its original condition?
I have a signed copy of Face Blind that I don't intend to sell, yet I can't bring myself to read it as I want it to remain in perfect condition. It's just a personal preference and hence why I've had to buy a reading copy of the novel.

#37 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:24 AM

The book acknowledges James McMahon, who also helped Benson with The Man With The Red Tattoo I just noticed.

#38 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:24 AM

I've just noticed this and is it just me or does this picture make Benson seem slightly dodgy?

Posted Image

#39 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 03:27 AM

I'd never seen it until this CBn article was put on the main page, but I like it. It's one of his better ones compared to some there have been before.

#40 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:41 PM

I've just noticed this and is it just me or does this picture make Benson seem slightly dodgy?

Posted Image

View Post

LOL! I see what you mean! Still it beats the boring mugshots that so many of the authors have...

#41 James Boldman

James Boldman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:45 PM

By value I meant either profitable or personal. Wouldn't you feel better though if it stayed in its original condition?
I have a signed copy of Face Blind that I don't intend to sell, yet I can't bring myself to read it as I want it to remain in perfect condition. It's just a personal preference and hence why I've had to buy a reading copy of the novel.

View Post

Well, with the state that my room is in, these days it is bound to get worn a little anyway, but I'm still trying to keep it in a tip-top condition. :)

#42 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 11:50 PM

"I'm at one with the busy, I'm at one with the bush..."lol.

#43 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 08:45 PM

Update...

Posted Image
"Benson Makes The Best Seller Lists"
'SPLINTER CELL' charts among NY Times and Publishers Weekly bestsellers

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

Excellent! He's done some great work, it's nice to see it acknowledged by the public. Can't wait for book #2.

#45 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:41 PM

Excellent! He's done some great work, it's nice to see it acknowledged by the public. Can't wait for book #2.

View Post

It's too bad that the public doesn't really know who wrote the book. I can understand pseudonyms by authors who want to hide their identity for various reasons. Besides, they're really absolutely useless since they're the world's worst kept secrets even when the intention is to keep it a mystery. It is common knowledge in the literary community that Robert Markham is Kingsley Amis, Richard Hooker is Dr. H. Richard Hornberger, "Anonymous" is Joe Klein in the case of "Primary Colors", etc. I think the revelation that David Michaels is actually Raymond Benson might have broken the record for quickest author identity disclosure.

The story we've been given in this case is a bit hard to swallow. Tom Clancy, who has reaped the riches of avarice with his novels that have grown into a multi-franchise empire, is now content to sit back and let others do the work. For that, the author SHOULD at least be recognized by means other than fansites and below-the-radar means of communication. The "David Michaels" thing sounds more like an ego decision on the part of Clancy, Inc. than a reasonable policy to seamlessly change authors without the public knowing it.

It is certainly good for Mr. Benson, however, that these books are undoubtedly reaching more markets (at least in North America) than his Bond novels ever did. I was in a local super market last week and "Splinter Cell" was on the shelves. I would guess situations like this was a major contributor to the best seller status. I'm glad Raymond can add "NY Times best selling author" to his resume and I hope he's getting a good check.

#46 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:29 AM

View Post

It's too bad that the public doesn't really know who wrote the book. I can understand pseudonyms by authors who want to hide their identity for various reasons. Besides, they're really absolutely useless since they're the world's worst kept secrets even when the intention is to keep it a mystery. It is common knowledge in the literary community that Robert Markham is Kingsley Amis, Richard Hooker is Dr. H. Richard Hornberger, "Anonymous" is Joe Klein in the case of "Primary Colors", etc. I think the revelation that David Michaels is actually Raymond Benson might have broken the record for quickest author identity disclosure.

View Post

True enough. I'm sure we can expect another thank you to him in the acknowledgements section, as in the last one. Not really a big secret in this case here.

#47 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 12:42 AM

Maybe if the series is very sucessful Raymond will drop the disguise and just use his regular name?

What's on my mind is will he only write two books or will he just keep writing until he tires of the series and moves on to other works?

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:04 AM

Maybe if the series is very sucessful Raymond will drop the disguise and just use his regular name?

What's on my mind is will he only write two books or will he just keep writing until he tires of the series and moves on to other works?

View Post

I see him doing more than two books. He seems very enthusiastic, and has basically just started with this series. I hope he continues on with it for a while as well.

#49 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 04:13 AM

Ah... hi.

I got this book for Christmas... it kicks serious :) hardcore. WAY more in-depth than the videogames. Michaels* is a damn good writer. He should do more.

/spoiler.gif
Benson
/gen_line.gif

#50 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:34 AM

Ah... hi.

I got this book for Christmas... it kicks serious :) hardcore. WAY more in-depth than the videogames. Michaels* is a damn good writer. He should do more.

/spoiler.gif
Benson
/gen_line.gif

View Post

I believe the update on the main page says he was on the second one currently.

#51 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 12:42 AM

He's currently contracted to do one more yes, making a total of two and then decide if he wants to continue?

You know he will, this could be a big earner for him and he certainly seems like he's enjoying it.

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:19 AM

He's currently contracted to do one more yes, making a total of two and then decide if he wants to continue?

You know he will, this could be a big earner for him and he certainly seems like he's enjoying it.

View Post

Most definitely. I'm looking forward to collecting alot of these books in the future, along with the Young Bond run.