Seven nabs 'Die Another Day' for 2005

45 replies to this topic

#31 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 December 2004 - 01:11 AM

Kath and Kim has just started showing on ABC Asia Pacific here and I gave up on it after watching the promotional ads!

#32 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:04 PM

I must say, I think this season lacked something, and I think it was the season-long story arc.

The season finale was never going to live up to last year's cliffhanger, with the always-superb Mick Molloy returning as Kath's ex-husband. That said, this year's was a hoot. Typically over-the-top on the sci-fi elements, but what isn't over-the-top in Kath & Kim? Kylie Minogue coming full-circle in her acting career was perfect, as an adult Epponnee-Rae, and the sight of a ginormous Glenn Robbins dancing was a crack-up.

Perfect ending, too, with Pru and Trude being swooped by Graham's flying saucer. I'd be happy if this ends up being the last episode. I'd be happier if they made a fourth season. :)

#33 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:36 AM

Speaking of Seven, has anyone been watching Neighbours? I no longer live in Australia (moved in 1999 to the States) but I must say I was a huge fan while living there. Still am actually. My cousin said the season finale was amazingly well done. Can't wait to see it.

#34 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 12:57 PM

Neighbours actually airs on TEN, not Seven [unless you're referring to Home & Away?].

In any case, I don't watch either, but the Neighbours finale - something about a bomb or a fire or some such nonsense - did look quite good for Australian drama standards, if the advertisements were any indication.

Welcome aboard, Aussie21! Always great to see another Aussie on the forums!

#35 Aussie21

Aussie21

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:42 PM

Ah, my apologies. I did realise that Neighbours screened on TEN, just a slip of the mind I guess.

:)

Anyway, thanks for the welcome [dark]! :)

Edit: And upon further google-ing, I found that Neighbours did screen on Seven when it first premiered in 1985. The following year Seven cancelled it and TEN picked it up. Woo, I'm not completely crazy.

:)

Edited by Aussie21, 02 January 2005 - 12:17 AM.

#36 Vodka Martino

Vodka Martino

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

You can't heap too much [censored] on Channel Seven, gang. After all, it's the station that gives us "Alias" and "24" so that we can get our little espionage fix between Bond films. If only Seven would have the balls to stick to a regular programming schedule with "24", rather than chopping and changing the screening nights the way they did with last season's episodes. "Spooks" on the ABC was also worth a look.

Vodka Martino

#37 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:15 AM

I know.

Doesn't look good for next season, either. While Fox seems to be plugging Season Four of 24 as a complete overhaul [which it is], it was completely absent from the press release Seven put out promoting their 2005 line-up. I'd have hoped Seven would do the same as Fox this season and try to bring back viewers.

Don't expect to see Season Four any time soon. :)

Oh, and a friend got me the first season of Alias for Christmas and I'm really getting into it. Hopefully I'll be up to speed by the time the new season starts.

#38 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:15 PM

[quote name='Blofeld's Cat' date='1 December 2004 - 16:47'][quote name='[dark'],30 November 2004 - 20:11]No worries, BC.

Just to clarify, the title of the chapter concerning Mr Norman is "The Fool Monty".

#39 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

I know.

Doesn't look good for next season, either.  While Fox seems to be plugging Season Four of 24 as a complete overhaul [which it is], it was completely absent from the press release Seven put out promoting their 2005 line-up.  I'd have hoped Seven would do the same as Fox this season and try to bring back viewers.

Don't expect to see Season Four any time soon. :)

View Post

On some dvd website, they gave a release date for season 4 in here in Aus. They say its coming out in August, which means ch 7 will probably screen it before then.

#40 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I read that.

Let's hope Seven considers the fact that the season premiere of 24, having just gone to air in the US, garnered it's best ratings ever, before dumping it in a late-night slot again.

#41 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:12 PM

And its VERY good.

#42 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:28 AM

Well, no 24 for a while.

It's not in the new schedule - nor is Alias, for that matter, my current obsession, thanks to a friend who bought me Season One for Christmas.

The folks at Seven have previewed the first four episodes of 24 and agree that it's too good to waste in a 10:30 slot, so it will most likely return mid-year in a primetime slot.

Darn.

#43 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:17 PM

Well, no 24 for a while.

It's not in the new schedule - nor is Alias, for that matter, my current obsession, thanks to a friend who bought me Season One for Christmas.

The folks at Seven have previewed the first four episodes of 24 and agree that it's too good to waste in a 10:30 slot, so it will most likely return mid-year in a primetime slot.

Darn.

View Post

How do you know its not in the schedule?

#44 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:31 AM

Yikes, after Channel seven plummeted last year in ratings and hit shows, it has come roaring back to life this week with HUGE ratings for Desperate Housewives and Lost (plus bigger ratings for the tennis earlier).
About 2.3 million people tuned in for each show, which is just ridiculous when a hit show in australia is one that rates over a million people.
I smell a major comeback for channel seven this year.

#45 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:37 PM

I actually think Seven deserve this one. They've had a rotten couple of years - due, solely, to some bad programming choices - but this year, I think they're playing their cards fairly well.

Not only did they manage to get their hands on two of the hottest shows to come out of the US in years, but they marketed them almost perfectly [the tennis had a lot to do with it]. Sure, they're also sticking with the inexplicably high-rating Dancing With The Stars and last year's gradual hit, My Restaurant Rules, but methinks the cracks will begin to form for those two, this year.

Hopefully they'll start to bring down the Nine juggernaut and Ten's reality congo line [one lousy reality program after the next] over the coming year; they've been battling for so long, they deserve it.

#46 MajorBoothroyd

MajorBoothroyd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Annnnd they still have the rights for DAD, if the 50th anniversary marathon they had recently is any proof.