60 replies to this topic

#31 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 10:49 PM

I tried to play it, but I hate the controls and how you move. It was too dizzying, and I had to give up or throw up.

#32 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 05:16 AM

I've had the game since Wednesday and I've not yet completed it, but here's my opinion so far.

Mediocre graphics, akward controls that take a little getting used to, retarded plot, and crappy textures are the most glaring flaws. It's a moderately enjoyable FPS once you get past that, and it's definately a lot better than Nightfire or AUF (though those two were so incredibly awful that wouldn't be hard). According to IMDB, Famke Janssen, Judi Dench, and Christopher Lee all provided voices for their characters, which definately adds a lot to the experience. A pity they couldn't get Honor Blackman to voice Pussy Galore, since the imitator they found doesn't sound anything like her.

Multiplayer on Xbox live (BTW, my gamertag is ParaGoomba) is surprisingly fun. Some of the maps are incredibly dull (such as the aptly named Bore Tunnel), but others (such as the Moonraker maps) make up for it. The traps were obvious and staged in single player, but in multiplayer against real people they work. Activating the centrifuge in one of the Moonraker maps and plowing down 5 people at once, then hearing their reactions, never gets old. It's no Halo 2, but it's still pretty good.

Bottom line: If you've got an Xbox and Xbox Live, buy it for the multiplayer. If not, you could probably see all there is to see in the single player game just by renting it. It IS a little better than the reviews make it out to be, but that's to be expected with all the huge games like Halo 2 (which lives up to its hype) coming out and overshadowing everything.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:36 AM

Qwerty has collected the reviews on the main page...

Posted Image
"The Reviews Are In..."
Gaming sites offer their opinions of GoldenEye: Rogue Agent

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 04:01 AM

Alot of those reviews give quite a bit of good and bad points about the game. I have, though, noticed that the general consensus seems to be often leaning towards the negative aspects of the game. Eye of the beholder though.

#35 Goldeneye.

Goldeneye.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Location:Working on production of Now or Never, Coming soon in 2OO7

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:19 PM

You shouldn't listen to those damn reviews...They aren't always right. Do you notice how much they are comparing the game with Halo 2?! They should only talk about that game...Alot of people on GAMESPOT forums are saying how wrong the reviews are. These people LOVE this game. I also...It's alot of fun, and you know what? Buy the game, and see for yourself, it never hurts to give it a try...

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:23 PM

Oh, quite so Goldeneye! It's not always the reviewers that know best. And some of them didn't smash this game to bits. I think some of the aspects of playing it look pretty good.

#37 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:49 AM

What do you expect when EA was so obsessive trying to outdo N64's goldeneye, by calling it goldneye, and really not putting much thought into the game. The Bond licence is in the wrong people's hands, everything or nothing was decent, nightfire, but nothing to set a wow in you etc and Bond deserves better.

EA sometimes miss too hard, they get complacent, they do deliver at times, but they lack a certain passion to really put their stamp on the gaming market.

Edited by SeanValen00V, 29 November 2004 - 01:52 AM.

#38 agent007jb

agent007jb

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:25 AM

This game can easily be summed up like this. It is 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

I only played the first part of the game and got to the part where you are defending Goldfingers Atom thingy. Already i am turned off and have retreated back to Myst IV.

Lets begin with the basic crap of the game.

For one the graphics. They look like they were lifted out of Agent Under Fire. The Fort Knox level is so bland and crappy. Now some good detail has been put into the guns, but who cares.

Sound and music. So far the sound effects seem okay, but the music is so 1997. Going from Sean Callery to Paul Oakenfold was just a puzzling decision.

Voice Acting - SH***Y. I was sort of happy to see the EON clone of Bond in the opening helicopter sequence, but the moment he spoke. While a lot better voice acting than Nightfire, you can surely tell that isnt Pierces voice. Also the model of Bond was changed a bit to make it more generic. Of course Francisco Scaramanga is an okay voice role, but whoever does the voice acting for Dr. No and Goldfinger, its terrible.

Another point to mention, I do not know who did the cut scene cinematics, but they suck. As with EON they are blury and fuzzy and not as sharp as those nice teaser cards we saw on www.007gaming.com.

Gameplay. Back to the ****** style of Agent Under Fire. Shot at guys they fall over or move like the terminator from ....well The Terminator. Its just 2001 all over again.

Story - So far it stinks. You hit a few people and blow up the gold mine. M calls you being too violent and dismissed in a matter of 25 seconds. Then as your character walks out he has a business card from goldfinger. Really lame.

As far as dual weapons go. Halo 2 it was smooth, but this guy handles his guns like a 1985 Nintendo game.

I will play the game some more and see if there are any positives. I still feel that Everything or Nothing was the true labor of love for EA games and a real achivement. This game is so far just crap. There i have vented.

Pressing ABBA, ABBA on the controller accesses the original GoldenEye 64.

Edited by agent007jb, 29 November 2004 - 07:28 AM.

#39 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:13 PM

Story Here:

Old Structure Makes Rogue Agent Stale

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 09:41 PM

In this CBn Quick News link, it ranked #20: http://debrief.comma...topic=19928&hl=

#41 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:28 AM

GameCube GoldenEye: Rogue Agent Review

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 03:50 AM

The Games Asylum chimes in with their word on this game...it isn't good.

#43 Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:47 AM

Damn these reviews are just as harsh as the flak given to Nightfire.

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:49 AM

I'd personally say quite a bit worse. :)

#45 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:24 AM

Someone mentioned earlier that Free Radical should be hired for the next Bond game.

I am in total agreement with this as IMO GoldenEye N64 and Timesplitters2 are the two best FPS ever.

Although I enjoyed EON and its 3rd person perspective (which I admit Rockstar would have a mighty fine case for their own version of a Bond game)

I think Bond games are better in first person, and Free Radical is just about the best I can think of, also judging by the big talk surrounding Timesplitters 3 - Future Perfect

#46 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:07 PM

I'd love to see another first-person Bond game. If done right, they can often be exciting throughout the entire game. It worked well for the original, GoldenEye.

#47 Buck

Buck

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

[quote name='Defender007(2)' date='24 November 2004 - 15:11'][quote name='rafterman' date='24 November 2004 - 05:31']I had a feeling it would just be a way to latch onto the name.

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

Surprised the price hasn't lowered down again.

#49 Skin 17

Skin 17

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:59 PM

I hated that game I rented it and played a few levels and then stopped. What the heck were they thinking.

#50 Trevelyan_Moneypenny

Trevelyan_Moneypenny

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:35 AM

I like the game, but I have two complaints:
1) We already had a Goldeneye movie--calling a game Goldeneye makes it sound like you are playing a Goldeneye game.
2) Trevelyan is NOT a playable character!

#51 Grace

Grace

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

And: They don't even brought it out for Computer.. I mean sorry, nort everybody has a PS2 or Xbox............ :tup:
here at my hostfamily's house I can play it, but I'm not very convinced of its quality, for example the singleplayer has no real introduction etc.
I liked Nightfire better!

#52 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:02 AM

Welcome to CBn, Grace!

#53 Pierce James Bond

Pierce James Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:45 PM

Goldeneye Rouge agent was the by far the worst Bond game I've played. The only good level I thought was good was the first level but it still should not be a 007 game. Thats my opinion.

-PJB

#54 AccusedNut

AccusedNut

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:21 AM

i am sooooooooooooooooooooo glad i did not buy this crap, they could have given us another bond game instead of this mess B) :tdown:

Actually my friend, this game is great. People didn't like it at first because it didn't feature Bond as the main character, but GoldenEye in my opinion is a great villain and reminds me much of Alec Trevelyan. Look into this game if you like the underground side of Bond and want to see a more darker side of the world of 007.
I love this game and into this day it stands out in the Bond games as my favourite.
Hell, GoldenEye would make a great villain in a actual Bond movie where at the end there's an epic showdown between James Bond and GoldenEye.

#55 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

Played it again only last weekend. Still not my cup of tea. Not too bad agame but I want something different from a Bond game.

#56 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

I haven't played it in a long time, but I give it props for the inventive weapon selection.

Other than that, it's pretty forgettable.

#57 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

I haven't played it in a long time, but I give it props for the inventive weapon selection.

Other than that, it's pretty forgettable.

Gotta change my preference on this game; now Ive changed my platform

#58 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

That makes no sense, what so ever. :|

#59 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

I regret to say that I have failed to get past the fourth mission on this game (that's on the easy setting too). I am
useless at all computer games.

But it is my personal favourite of all the games, I especially like the fact that you can hold and fire two guns at once. B)

#60 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

I regret to say that I have failed to get past the fourth mission on this game (that's on the easy setting too). I am
useless at all computer games.

But it is my personal favourite of all the games, I especially like the fact that you can hold and fire two guns at once. B)

You can come and have a go on my GoldenEye 007 anytime:)