3 replies to this topic

#1 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 10:00 PM

Sorry for this last minute bit of info but director Peter Bogdonavich's 1979 opus SAINT JACK is screening at The American Cinematheque in Los Angeles tonight at 8PM. Of interest to Bond fans is the fact that one George Lazenby is one of the film's stars! See you there!

Monday, October 25

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 October 2004 - 01:55 AM

Damn! I've being wanting to see this movie for ages!

Wonder if it's out on DVD then? Movies like this suddenly appearing on TV have a tendency to have just been released on DVD these days. Well, in my neck of the woods, at least.

#3 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 06:41 AM

It was a most interesting event as Mr. Bogdanavich is quite the raconteur. SAINT JACK in an interesting if not odd bit of filmmaking. I rather liked it. Very different from the director's other work. At times it had an early Altman-esque feel to it.

Besides Mr. Lazenby's rather understated but fine performance as a compromised senator, there are some other Bond connections with this film. Early in the picture some prostitutes are doing a strip tease. They put on an LP record and the needle skips over a couple of selections from the THUNDERBALL soundtrack and then lands on Shirley Bassey belting out GOLDFINGER! The strip tease continues and Bassey's performance is heard in total!

If that is not enough, James Villiers (FYEO's Bill Tanner) pops up in a number of scenes as a drunken lush!

And Cat: SAINT JACK is available on DVD in the U.S. and in Canada.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 26 October 2004 - 08:22 AM

And Cat:  SAINT JACK is available on DVD in the U.S. and in Canada.

View Post

Thanks for that. I'll definitely have to check it out.