6 replies to this topic

#1 JReber007

JReber007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:30 AM

It's so sad to see the state of Hollywood these days. Hot new writers will rip off of anything they can. Take the new spy thriller XXX for example. Premise is interesting. I plan to see it. However, I read something that made me angry.

In the beginning of the movie, at a rock concert, a dead agent, wearing a tux no less, will be bodysurfed across all in attendance. Director Rob Cohen (Fast and The Furious) says he isn't British. Then the bastard laughs!

This upsets me. I hope Vin Diesel and the rest of the crew on XXX realize their film will never see the kind of money Bond has made these 40 years. So sad to see them disgrace 007. Oh yeah, that's right. 007 is the top influence in the movie! Grr.

(PS - Vin Diesel basically called Bond a "p***y" in an interview a few months ago. I hope he takes it back...or I'll send in the Russian Mafia.)

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 03:57 AM

JReber007 (03 May, 2002 02:30 a.m.):
(PS - Vin Diesel basically called Bond a "p***y" in an interview a few months ago. I hope he takes it back...or I'll send in the Russian Mafia.)

Somehow I don't think the Russian mafia support James Bond... ;D

#3 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:36 AM

oh don't worry this is low brow action entertainment, no way will it ever be as big as Bond, it'll be a flash in the pan kind of hit, it's spy for the extreme games set, they can call Bond whatever they want, but really aren't they just trying to rip off the formula in their own way, they bash, but without Bond they'd have nothing...

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:56 AM

I've moved this thread to the Spoofs category. Why? Because that's all XXX is, a James Bond spoof.

It's not even an original film. XXX, 007, The Spy Who Loved Me anyone? Not very original I must say.

Poor guys on set realise that they'll never be as good as Bond, but to try and drag in the Bond audience they try and create a gritty version of the Bond film. Shame on them.

After this news, I do not intend to see the film. If they repilcated Bond and showed it respect, then fine. But this is just petty nonsense.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 02:07 AM

Vin Diesel is very hot right now (and I do like him) so XXX is getting some decent buzz in Hollywood...but I think the era of the hyper-violent-macho action hero is deader than dead and XXX doesn't excite me. Give me Bond, Spiderman, and Star Wars and I'm happy.

And where's the Wonder Woman movie!? That's what I want next. Not another jar-head action hero.

#6 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 03 May 2002 - 01:20 PM

XXX Bashes Bond

Here's me thinking that I must have missed a scene out of The Spy Who Loved Me!:)

Anyway, this is the reason why I liked True Lies. There were no pretentions to being a Bond copy, and no silly backhanders either.

#7 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 May 2002 - 03:56 AM

Blofeld's Cat (03 May, 2002 02:20 p.m.):
XXX Bashes Bond

Here's me thinking that I must have missed a scene out of The Spy Who Loved Me!:)

And here's me thinking there's some pørn film with a James Bond character that is made fun of! :)