This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

I don't see what all teh fuss is about....

2 replies to this topic

#1 The Girl With The Golden Gun

The Girl With The Golden Gun

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Location:Deep inside my hollowed out volcano...in the South of England!

Posted 10 April 2002 - 12:14 PM

i really don't. i mean, AP 2 was called "the spy who shagged me" and i don't think you can get closer to a spoofed 007 movie title than that, without actually giving it the same name as a Bond title.

Goldmember sounds like a great pastiche of "goldfinger" but then again, the real problem lies within the subject of "goldmember" which has reported to be a villain with a golden...ahem. well.... :oP

#2 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 12:30 PM

Well, MGM did go after New Line for the Spy Who Shagged me Title, but they lost. IT really doesnt matter to me what happens, I'm not reallly interested in the new Austin Powers film anyways.

#3 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 01:42 PM

Parody laws protected the last film and the possible other titles, I think what happened with Goldmember was that it's not a phrase, but a name and maybe therein lies why it didn't pass through, while Live and Let Shag could...imagine if they called the film's lead character something like Danger Bond.....something parody, but too close to the real deal....but then I'm speculating here, so I'm probably wrong...