37 replies to this topic

#31 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 12:22 AM

Pierce should do two more if they have the three year break between film. Or three more if they have a two to two-and-a-half year gap.

As for Brosnan looking too old, I personally thought Pierce looked perfect in The World Is Not Enough. He had lacked the ruggedness of Fleming's Bond in Goldeneye but by the time of TWINE Pierce's look was perfect. There is a reason he was 'Sexiest Man Alive' in 2001 and not in 1995.

#32 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 01:01 AM

I say 6 ot 7, he looks good and fit, he can do it!

#33 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 24 February 2002 - 02:35 AM

Let him do as many as he wants to as long as he's happy doing it. The guy has helped keep the franchise going and I think most of us will agree he's been a damned fine Bond.

And keep in mind what's happens everytime a popular actor in the role is leaves -- the next film usually isn't very well accepted by the general moviegoing audience, whether it's fair or not. I don't agree, as I like Lazenby and Dalton and their films, but others just don't like change. Though we like to have fun speculating on the board here on who should be Bond, would the average guy or girl on the street who doesn't know who, say, Clive Owen is, really care. Then again, nobody knew Connery before Dr. No, so who knows.

#34 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 03:00 AM

Personally I'd prefer that he winds it up after 5. What has happened to each Bond actor past his fifth film is the material has gotten weaker (Diamonds are Forever, Octopussy, A View to a Kill). Diamonds are Forever and Octopussy were silly, tacky, convoluted and poorly edited. A View to a Kill paled in comparison to it's predecessors.

Moore overstayed his welcome, so to speak; he didn't know when to quit and hung around until he was 57. Brosnan is pushing 50 (he'll be 49 by the time Bond 20 finishes shooting), so assuming he gets another three-year break he'll do Bond 21 in 2005 at the age of 52; to me that sounds old enough to retire the role. Plus, if he gets a three-year break between each film and goes beyond five, Bond will miss the year 2007. Such would be a ripe time to bring in the sixth fellow.

A sixth or a seventh film, the record has so far shown, signals a decline in quality (and I know someone is going to say that the pattern won't necessarily hold up for Brosnan, so don't bother saying it). I think Brosnan should leave his fans wanting more rather than stay on too long and wait for the films- and himself- to become tired.

Dave

#35 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 04:44 AM

Just don't let him be the next old-man Bond like sc3 in DAF or rm1 in AVTAK.

I'd say one more, maybe two as long as the makeup doesn't get to be an inch thick. rm2
It would be a pity to repeat the latter Moore years where the plots were excellent, and Moore played the part very Fleming-ian (please don't take that as some sort of a pun seeing as how it is a very poor one at the best), but he looked like he was going to refuse a martini because of doctor's orders.

At least Moore didn't take the whole series down with himself like Connery did, and give us LALD and TMWTGG dribble. following in the style of DAF dribble. rm2

#36 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 04:31 AM

It's weird hearing people talk about how old Connery looked in DAF considering he was only 40 when he made it. Moore took over when he was about 45, Brosnan was like 42, and I think Dalton was 40 or 41 also. I'm not defending him, per say, just observing that a lot of people thought he looked fitter in Never Say Never Again than in DAF, which I would support. Maybe the guy was just happy with his success at that point and didn't feel like he had to look like a bodybuilder anymore. He must have had the attitude, if they want me as Bond, take me as I am.

Also, I'm not disagreeing with the theory of weaker films as the actors go on, but in the case of DAF, it was a reaction against the "failure" of OHMSS on the producers' part to play it safe with space hardware and humor as opposed to the human Bond of the previous film. You shouldn't drag Connery down because of the film, which was written long before he decided to return. He was wooed back at the very last minute. People at the time were just relieved and thrilled to have him back as Bond.

#37 Tracy Bond

Tracy Bond

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 07:55 AM

I think he's still good for maybe 2 more after Bond 20...I'd like to see him do at least as many as Moore (7).

But for goodness sake don't give him that Super Aqua-Net shellacked hair (case in point AVTAK)!

He seems to be in excellent shape and more importantly looks like he's been around the block once or twice. Bond should have a "lived in" face....although I've always wondered why they never gave him his scar in the films? Do they think he'd look to villanous?

Anyway, I really like Brosnan in the role and I still think he has a few Bond films in him! As for his salary, when you think of what Cruise and Co. are earning (20 mill +), I don't think it would be unreasonable for Brosnan to ask for more money. He probably doesn't get a % of the profits or he'd never even negotiate his contract!

#38 MDSmith

MDSmith

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 03:34 PM

rm1 looked really old in AVTAK, It was a little gross to see him sleeping with a younger woman. If you look on the back of the US DVD cover he has his shirt off and is smiling GROSS he looks as if he'd spent too much time in the water. :)