14 replies to this topic

#1 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:37 AM

I was recently watching "Mommie Dearest" with Dunaway, and throughout the entire movie, I was oddly reminded of Tracy, then I began to wonder: "Could Faye Dunaway have played Tracy?" She does have the same confidence, poise, and class as Diana Rigg, and they do look slightly similar. I wonder if she would have had chemistry with Connery if he had taken the role, in the same way Rigg did with Lazenby.

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:12 AM

Wasn't she even considered for the role? Not sure where I read that, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

Anyway, I think Diana Rigg is perfect for it, but I've always thought Faye Dunaway would have been good. She was certainly beautiful enough back then and is much closer to how I remember Tracy being described when I read OHMSS.

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:15 AM

Hmm, I seem to remember it just being Brigitte Bardot and Catherine Deneuve considered for the role, but you may be right.

I love Diana Rigg in the role, but Faye Dunaway might have been good as well. I would have liked to see her as a Bond girl.

#4 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:07 AM

She was very much like a Bond girl in 'The Thomas crown Affair' but you have to remember that she was an A list actress then so doing Bond would have been like career suicide.

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:09 AM

She was very much like a Bond girl in 'The Thomas crown Affair' but you have to remember that she was an A list actress then so doing Bond would have been like career suicide.

Possibly. She did have The Towering Inferno coming up in the next few years.

#6 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 04:01 AM

Wasn't she even considered for the role? Not sure where I read that, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

Anyway, I think Diana Rigg is perfect for it, but I've always thought Faye Dunaway would have been good. She was certainly beautiful enough back then and is much closer to how I remember Tracy being described when I read OHMSS.

The hmss.com article on an imaginary "what if?" On Her Majesty’s Secret Service mentions that Miss Dunaway was considered for Tracy but that's the only place I've read it. I've seen other sources mentioning her as a contender for the roles of Domino, Tiffany Case and Octopussy but not Tracy. Miss Dunaway at the height of her attractiveness would have made a fine Tracy although I think she would have made an even better Bond villainess IMHO. I could easily see her as Helga Brandt.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 04:08 AM

Wasn't she even considered for the role?  Not sure where I read that, but I seem to remember seeing that somewhere.

Anyway, I think Diana Rigg is perfect for it, but I've always thought Faye Dunaway would have been good.  She was certainly beautiful enough back then and is much closer to how I remember Tracy being described when I read OHMSS.

The hmss.com article on an imaginary "what if?" On Her Majesty’s Secret Service mentions that Miss Dunaway was considered for Tracy but that's the only place I've read it. I've seen other sources mentioning her as a contender for the roles of Domino, Tiffany Case and Octopussy but not Tracy. Miss Dunaway at the height of her attractiveness would have made a fine Tracy although I think she would have made an even better Bond villainess IMHO. I could easily see her as Helga Brandt.

She would have made an interesting Helga Brandt, but I'm not sure to what extent because that character is written so lightly and hardly with the force of Fiona Volpe or one of the other femme fatales.

She would be a good villianess though.

#8 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 04:57 AM

dunaway would have done very well in a bond film i feel but she would not have been a good tracy

they had the best tracy they could ever have had in rigg

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 05:02 AM

I'm amazed at how few people know of Diana Rigg. She was Tracy, not to say that Dunaway wouldn't have made a good Bond girl.

#10 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:23 AM

[quote name='Qwerty' date='14 August 2004 - 22:08'] [quote name='PrinceKamalKhan' date='15 August 2004 - 00:01'] [quote name='PaulZ108' date='6 August 2004 - 22:12'] Wasn't she even considered for the role?

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 03:24 AM

Interesting, you may be right. It's sometimes hard to see how actors and actresses would have been. Octopussy, yeah, I could maybe see that.

If she was Helga though, I would just want to see the part of Helga written stronger.

#12 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:26 AM

I would have liked the role to have been better written regardless of the actress. :)

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:27 AM

You're saying you didn't think Tracy was a well written Bond girl/woman? :)

#14 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:36 AM

Oh, I thought you meant Helga. Tracy? Maybe the best written female lead in the series! :)

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 05:37 AM

OH! :)

Whew(!)

Yes, Helga could have been written better.