TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:54 PM

Discuss the story in this thread

A Michael Astbury 008 Adventure

For Michael Astbury, agent 008; the career of a double O agent had it's up's and downs. He treated the job as a normal function of everyday life. He was in it but not part of it. It didn't define or own him. He didn't thik about the positive sides or the negative sides. When he was on assignment his only concern was for the job at hand and accomplishing it in a cool and collected manner. To have an emotion when doing the work he did would be a mistake and mistakes, often brought death.

Such as the case of Kayle, who now lay dead on the floor before Astbury. Kayle was a middleman who was running secrets from Canada, Brittan, to China. However Kayle made a mistake of bragging to an American counterpart who was an informent for the FBI and when they learned of Kay;e's misgivings it was only civil to inform Scotland Yard...who passed the case to MI6.

Michael was given the file of the negere pipline with explicit instructions of shutting the pipeline down by whatever means necassary. Michael accepted the case and was flown to Langley witha solid cover. He made contact with Kayle who in turn, introduced him to the small pipeline. A middle aged chinese man named Kim.

However, Kayle had angered Astbury. With the inevtible confrontation in a small eastern aartment Kayle proved to be a dirty fighter and that was one of Astbury's pet peeves. Kayle had the upper hand the whole time and when he slipped for that fracton of a second Michael had no choice but to beat his oppenent to a bloody pulp then shoot him.

It wasn't the way Michael wanted the fight to end, but after all; what choice had he? Kim was less difficult, he learned of Astbury's real identity and purpose and would have informed Kayle had not word got to Michael beforehand so he could remedy the situation before it got out of hand.

Astbury didn't mind doing the dirty work for M, alot of the other double o's couldn't stomach it and after one rough assignment they wold transfer out of the service to a tropical boarder of thier choice. For Michael, it was better than sitting at his desk and talking to the secretary all day of meetings.

Michael cleaned the area around him setting tabletops right ,clearing away any broken lass, and wiping his prints off of everything he left the apartment then called the police from a nearby payphone, covering up his voice as he talked.

And now that it was almost finished and another name given to him by a contact in the CIA Michael Astbury sat in the window seat of the Brittish Airways flight back home to England wondering just how exactly will he get into China.

#2 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:41 PM

MI6 Headquarters.
6:00 p.m.

Michael Astbury sat at his desk look thru the past files at his PC consel. He was searching the databases of Interpol, CIA, and MI5 for a Li Chang Yen. He only got a brief factiod file on the man. There was no known picture. Just what Astbury printed out:

Li Chang Yen
D.O.B. 22 August 1940
Hair: Black
Eyes: Green

Appearence: Bald, goatee, sometimes sports a soulpatch.

History: Responsible for arms smuggling outside Peking China, Believed to have orginized Tienamin Square massacre, also believed to have supplied vietnam with advanced weaponery from 1964-1969. DOesn't travel outside China and no photographs of the subject have been taken of him. Does not see the public.

'Damned little to go on.' Michael thought. It seemed he was chasing a ghost. Michael wondered what this was really about, why had M wanted him to go after someone nobody's seen?

As if in answer the red telephone sitting at the top left side of his desk buzzed. Michael quickly picked it up.

"008 speaking."

"M requests an audience with you." said Moneypenny, on the other end.

"Be right there." Michael said, putting the reciever down.

He left his office and took the elevator to the top floor and walked into M's office.

"Evening 'Penny" Astbury greeted.

"Good evening 008. You're to go on in." Moneypenny said curtly.

Michael nodded. He walked to the door that leaded into M's citidel.

To M, 008 was a solid, trusted agent. One of the few double-o opertives to remain after the transition of the mid nineties. She often sent Astbury on difficult assignments and he never failed on a mission. For Michael the transition wasn't easy; all new starts start out rough but Michael was glad he hung on otherwise he wouldn't have as much respect of the new M as he presently had.

'Evening 008. Sit down then give me a report." M said.

Astbury sat in the chair oppisite M, he told her of the events of the earlier encounter. M noticed something of concern on his face; Astbury cleared his throat. " May I speak frankly m'am?" he asked.

M narrowed her eyes. "Proceed."

"This evening, before you called me I searched through the files of three various agencies and I got the same thing. Little. There's only a file that's a fourth of the page long, and there's no photograph of the man. I'm wondering exactly what to do next, M'amm."

M nodded in understanding. "I see. I feel at fault somewhat. If I had any idea of how challenging this would have been I would've waited until one of our lower departments could have gotten a photograph. But something concerning the case has come up."

Michael's attention peaked up. "Another link in the line?" He asked.

"Of a kind. " M. said. She reached inside her desk and then slid a folder to Michael.

Michael took the folder then opened it. Inside was a photograph of a young woman. To Astbury's estimation the woman was in her early thirties. Defenately asian, with jade green eyes.

"That photograph you hold in your hands-" M paused for effect, something she had in common with the previous M. "-was taken three weeks ago. Agent 454 took it in Amsterdam. Her name is Kim Soon Diep; She's Li Chang Yen's granddaughter."

"Interesting. Considering that no children were recorded in his file." Michael replied. "But how did 454 know it was her?"

"454 was on loan to the french the time this photograph was taken. Her parents, Yen son along with his wife were in Marsalle. They were murdered."

"Rivals?"

"It's a theory. But I think it's something else; I did a background check on her father. His name was Li Sung Chen, apperantly he was raised to be the heir of his father. However when Li was twenty he left his father to work with the Tongs. Over the years he worked his way to the top making legitimate and criminal deals over China and to Russia as well. Then in 1996 he retired to live happily with his wife. He was bought out clean and never heard from again. But I haven't got to the disturbing part."

Michael chewed all this over in his mind. It was begining to be an interesting story. He waited for M to continue.

"When Li Sung was head of the Purple Dragon triad he used his resources to recruit members from his father's army. Secrets were stolen from both sides of the fence, so to speak and a bitter war ravaged on for nearly thirty years."

"Hm. The son trying to prove he's mightier than the father?"

"Possibly. But as you know already Li Sung retired. Suposedly He tired of the ongoing war. Whatever attempts to put his father out of busniess failed. SO he retired and took his wife to live in France, under forged identities."

"Interesting." Michael commented. "And yet, no one knows what started this rivalry. Do you think the woman knows?"

M nodded. "It's possible. Which is why I'm sending you to Amsterdam. Find the girl and see what she knows. It's highly unlikely she's ignorant of her father's past and if she had any clue as to where her grandfather is I want you to find out 008."

"You think it was Li Chang Yen who killed his own son?"

"I do. And if he did then that means there's more to the story that lies beyond the surface."

'So, there was a plot. And it was a thick one.' Astbury thought. "I'll do my best M'amm" he told M sincerly.

"Thank you 008. I trust you to clean this mess up and quickly if you can. There are other pressing matters thatneed our concern. I have a right mind to tell MI5 to leaves us alone and let us do our job. But anyways that's the case in a nutshell, I wish you luck and please come back in one piece."

#3 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 03:47 PM

As Michael Astbury stepped off the Brittish Airways flight 303 for Amsterdam. 008 didn't know the region of the netherlands all too well since the terrortories kept a peace amongst themselvs. He had no luggage to reclaim since he only brought the new briefcase Q branch had developed recently. Before Michael;s plane take off Q had informed Astbury of the minatuire knife hidden at the base of the handle, and the extra rounds for his Walther P99 hidden at the lower base.

As Michael proceeded outside he wondered how he was to make contact with 454. As if in answer a grey mercades approached the front curb of the airport. A woman, with black hair, brown eyes and almond skin wearing a red button down shirt and black kahki slacks sat behind the wheel. She pressed a button on the side of the driver door, and the passenger window rolled downwards.

"Do you know the way to Copenhagen?" She asked.

"I'm afraid not, but I do recommend the local sights here." Michael replied.

The passenger door unlocked and Michael climbed inside the car. Michael fastened his seatbelt and the Mercades drove off.

"I'm Marcie. Assistant to 454 Staton N. " She said. "You must be the Doble O M sent out."

Michael nodded. "It's nice to meet you Marcie. 454 couldn't come himself?"

"He was busy gathering up any availible information for you. I'm to send his apologies to you."

"It's alright." Michael said, smiling. "How long have you been with the station."

"Two years. It's interesting work; if you take in the consideration how many French, American, Isreli, and Russian agents flow thru Amterdam. It a traffic for spies. Sorta like the new chekpoint charlie. Basically we just monitor and report our findings to London like normal. Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary has happened so far."

This was all news to Michael. He remembered the days when Hamburg, Morocco, or Istanbul was high in espionage activity. How the times change.

She continued. "454 was recently given the bare bones of the case, in fact he requested he be given a short history of your case so as to not know that much. "

"He just wished to know why the woman's important?" Michael asked.

Marcie nodded her head. "That and he has a few theories he'd like to discuss with you."

"Has he tried to make contact with the woman?"

"No. He figured you'd be the one to do it. 454 wishes to completly hand the case over to you once he talks with you."

Michael nodded. The rest of the drive was in silence. Twenty minutes later the mercades pulled into a stop at a white eight story building. The two passengers got out of the car and proceeded inside and walked into n elevator. Marcie pressed the button for the fourth floor.

"The building belngs to MI6 bvut we rent out office space for catroonists, lawyers, and doctors going into private practice." Marcie explained.

As they got to the fourth Michael saw the door marked Universal Export, the now defunct cover of MI6. Marcie opened the door and motioned for Astbury to go inside.

"Well hello, you must be our chap from London. I trust you had a pleasant flight?" 454 asked. He was a man of medium size with Black hair with a shade of grey at the sides. 454's eyes studies Michael with interest. he streched out a hand i greeting

"It was good." Michael replied, shaking the hand.

"Excellent. Please. Take a seat. Drink?"

Micael looked at his watch, too early for a drink. "Soda?" He asked.

"Ah. I have Pepsi."

"Thank you."

454 went to a cubbard beside his desk and took two glasses, then walked to afridge by the farthest wall and took out a 24 ounce bottle of Pepsi. With the bottle stacked underneath his arm he walked over to where Michael was sitting and poured him a glass.

"Well now down to busniess. Mr. Astbury I';m concerned by your presence here actually. This sector has been idle for as long as I can remember and if I may be frank, you double o's have a reputation to be somewhat hellraisers so to speak. Now I'm not saying you're unwanted but I advise you to be careful as well as discreet."

Michael nodded. "I understand 454. Thank you for your warning. Now, what can you give me?"

454 handed Astbury another photograph of Kim Soon Diep. "As you see Ms. Soon Diep likes to eat at restruants alot. Recently she's hardly ever seen outside for fear of what happened to her parents. Which brings us to this meeting. I believe she saw whoever slaughtered her folks or she had a hand in it herself."

"Hmm. It's plausable. But what makes you think so?"

"She may be involved with a rival gang. Usually Triad Iniatiation involves an act proving of extreme loyality. Right of passage sort of thing, you know."

Michael turned the theory over in his mind. He had to admit it was plausible, if it turned out to be true then he could easily learn about the whereabouts of her father in no time.

"Do you have her address?"

454 reached inside his pocket and handed Astbury a small piece of paper.

"Just follow those directions and you shgould reach her place within a half hour."

Michael finished his gas of soda then rose to his feet, extending his hand.

"You've been most helpful. Thank you 454."

"You don't have to mention it. If you need help you know where to reach me, Marcie will lend you the keys to the mercades. I trust you'll return the car in tact?"

Michael smiled. "I'll do my best to not let you down."

454 laughed. "Well then Mr. Astbury I wish you the best of luck. Happy hunting and all that but please mind my request about discretion. We don't want any incidents to get seriously out of hand."

#4 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:25 PM

The cafe that was across from the restruant where Astbury watched his query lasted two of the longest hours of his life.

Kim Soon Diep ate for a rather long time. Michael wondered how anyone could eat as if enjoying a piece of art, devouring a little piece at a time. Perhaps it was a zen buddhist ritual? Or maybe Kim just enjoied taking her sweet time.

She ordered the check and Michael prepared to follow her once again. Kim payed her check, and walked out of the restruant.

It wasn't long before she was attacked.

Michael had expected it. It would have fitted the M.O. of her grandfather to do so which ruled Kim out from her having to do with anything with the murder of her parents.

The mugger, supposedly; ran up behind Kim and started tugging on her purse, after a few seconds of struggle he hauled Kim on his shoulders and quickly ran into a nearby alleyway. The mugger threw Kim on to the ground roughly. He then produced a handgun. Kim caught a wicked grin on the mugger's face. She closed her eyes as if this was indeed the end.

Then suddenly she heard a grunt then a snap. she opened her eyes to find the muggerdown with his face to the gravel. Her savior, wiping the sweat off his brow. Michael helped her to her feet.

"Who are you?" Kim asked.

"Your knight in semi shining armour." Astbury said.

"Thank you, I would've been killed."

"Don't mention it. Do you know who he was?"

"I've never seen him before."

"Could your grandfather have sent him after you?"

Kim was taken aback. Michael could read the surprise on her face.

"Who are you?" she asked.

"I work for the Brittish government." Michael replied. "I've been looking for him for quite some time."

"Are you going to arrest him?"

"Maybe, if I can find him."

Astbury looked around, a crowd could form at any moment.

"Let's get out of here." he said. "Care for a drink?"

Kim laughed. "Yeas, I'd love that."

Twenty minutes later The two were at a bar in the farthest,darkest corner where no one could disturb them.

"SO how did you know where to find me?" Kim asked.

"I was just lucky." Michael lied. "Do you know where your grandfather is? Where can I find him?"

"He's in Japan. Kyoto." Kim said. "I've known for all this time and yet I've done nothing."

"You were afraid." Astbury said, hoping to give the woman some comfort. "Anybody in your shoes would have done the same thing."

"No, I should have done something, anything. I watched my family die by this man and yet I've done nothing."

"Try not to worry." Michael replied. "I'll make sure he gets what he deserves."

"Why do you care?" Kim asked. "He's done nothing to you."

"Not directly. But he's made alot of my people sick, some he's killed by his profession. It's my job to make sure he's...put out of busniess."

Kim looked Astbury over. She could see a ruthlessness in his eyes, the hard lines on his face told her that this man has lived a hard life, a life of danger and excitment she could never hope to understand.

"How do I know I can trust you?"

"I'll take you to somewhere safe. I'll protect you."

Kim nodded. "Strange, you help me but I don't know your name."

Michael winked an eye at her. "Just think of me as an avenging angel. We had better get going."

They had left the bar and Michael drove back towards the headquarters of 454.

That night 454 hid Kim Soon Diep in a convent. Michael assured Kim that she would hear from him once this busniess was over. he also promised that her grandfather would meet some kind of justice.

And now on the flight to Japan Michael was lost in thought of where to begin. 454 would contact the head of Station J and inform him of 008's arrival.

To Michael it was only a matter of time before he came face to face with the menace he had been chasing. The anticipation senta wave of thrill up his spine.