This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

welcome back, welcome back, welcome back!

28 replies to this topic

#1 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 03:55 AM

what's up? it's been a while. let's see what's new:

-i'm sure it has probably been covered on the boards here but i must chime in, "Van Helsing" is absolutely terrible! I want those two hours of my life back (and I saw it for free!)

-the lovable slow rapper Ma$e is back with a tune titled "Welcome Back". it samples the tv show of the same name. i must say, it's not half bad. not great, but pretty good.

-the French Open is getting sweet, with my arch nemesis Andy Roddick falling to the french virtual unknown Olivier Mutis. Henin-Hardenne choking was a shocker as well. Go Venus and Henman!

-Fantasia was crowned the American Idol tonight. Good stuff, but not shocking or surprising. Anybody watching the anti-american idol "WB superstar"? it's so wrong, yet so right.

-i'm heading to MTL and NYC in the next couple weeks so it should be some fun times. i'll let you guys know if anything crazy goes down.

-felix

ps. films to go see in the next little while

The Day After Tomorrow
The Terminal
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Around the World in 80 Days
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Napoleon Dynamite
The Bourne Supremacy
Garden State
The Village
The Manchurian Cadidate
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

#2 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:17 AM

...just wanted to say something...

...WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SACREMENTO KINGS MAN!?

:)

Really, Fantasia won!? I don't like American Idol, but my mom's a fan...

(HEY MOM WANNA KNOW WHO WON AMERICAN IDOL?)

She's watching right now...

Yeah tell us what you did at NY when come back alright?

#3 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:24 AM

kings went down. i was sad, but now it's all about the timberwolves or the pacers. (although they're both losing right now)

#4 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:27 AM

Na, I pick the exact opposite: Lakers vs. Pistons in the Finals.

A retro series!

I'm a Laker fan by the way...

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:01 AM

Welcome back, yes, there's been quite a lot of talk about Van Helsing. :)

#6 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:43 PM

-I hate the Lakers! Really, anybody but them.

-About Van Helsing>> Didn't anybody involved with the picture actually sitdown and watch it prior to its release?!?! Serious contender for worst film this year. Oh well, atleast Spider-man 2 looks promising!

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

-About Van Helsing>> Didn't anybody involved with the picture actually sitdown and watch it prior to its release?!?! Serious contender for worst film this year. Oh well, atleast Spider-man 2 looks promising!

Ah yes, I too eagerly await SpiderMan 2.

#8 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

Ah yes, I too eagerly await SpiderMan 2.

I liked the first Spiderman alot when I saw it opening day, but then I got it on DVD. Every time I'd watch it, it just got worse. I just don't watch it any more. I think Spidy 2 will suck.

Oh ya, welcome back Fexil.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:29 PM

Perhaps from watching it too often? :) I think it's one of the better pure action films, with the comic-book flavor attached that there's been in a little while.

#10 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:38 PM

Gabe Vieira>> See it was the reverse for me. I disliked it a lot when I first saw it and now after a second viewing I don't think it's that bad. The trailer for the second installment looks quite good though, let's hope it can deliver.

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:07 AM

Personally - I loved VAN HELSING, but then I've loved everything Kate Beckinsale has been in (with the exception of PEARL HARBOR).

#12 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:39 AM

Just saw THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW today, and I must say I was a bit dissapointed. I was expecting a more outrageous, mindless disaster flick, and I felt the film didn't give me a "Ah!" at the end. Once it comes out on DVD, I will not view it ever again.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:01 AM

I'm hoping it turns out to be a fair film and I'll possibly be seeing it tomorrow. I'm in the mood for an all out 'save the world' movie, but this one looks like it might be some entertainment, but not another INDEPENDENCE DAY. I'll see though, can't judge yet.

#14 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:18 AM

My friend's in The Day After Tomorrow (Just as an extra). They shot a lot of it in Montreal.

#15 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 06:29 AM

Just have to vent one more time. I have little ones and after hiring a sitter, paying for dinner, tickets, popcorn, etc. a movie gets pretty darned close to $100 for the night.

Last summer we went through all of that to see...Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.

I'd like to throttle whoever put that in the theaters. Too many hoky effects, too much camp, it was rediculous and I thought the first one was pretty decent.

That being said, what is worth going to this summer? I have surround sound at home so if it's just OK, it's a rental.

#16 Felix_Leiter

Felix_Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:41 PM

Glor (009)>> I listed a couple at the bottom of my original post.

#17 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:52 PM

For those of you who haven't seen The Day After Tomorrow, it's basicly Independence Day, but replace aliens with storms. Plus, I've figured out the plot of Emmerich's next film: An asteroid is heading for the earth, but it will not hit us. It will miss by the diameter of the moon, minus three hundred miles. But when it passes, the moon will be in the way. It hits the moon, and everything heads straight for earth. To be exact; New York, Washington DC, and LA :)

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:56 PM

For those of you who haven't seen The Day After Tomorrow, it's basicly Independence Day, but replace aliens with storms. Plus, I've figured out the plot of Emmerich's next film: An asteroid is heading for the earth, but it will not hit us. It will miss by the diameter of the moon, minus three hundred miles. But when it passes, the moon will be in the way. It hits the moon, and everything heads straight for earth. To be exact; New York, Washington DC, and LA :)

I'll be seeing it today.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:25 AM

Saw The Day After Tomorrow today, and it was better than I thought!

#20 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:13 AM

Just have to vent one more time. I have little ones and after hiring a sitter, paying for dinner, tickets, popcorn, etc. a movie gets pretty darned close to $100 for the night.

Last summer we went through all of that to see...Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.

I'd like to throttle whoever put that in the theaters. Too many hoky effects, too much camp, it was rediculous and I thought the first one was pretty decent.

That being said, what is worth going to this summer? I have surround sound at home so if it's just OK, it's a rental.

Man I feel sorry for you!

I work at the movie theatre and here are some prices toward food at ours.

A popcorn and a soda: $9
A popcorn and two sodas: $13.75
A soda and hot dog: $7.50
A soda and nachos: $8.50

An extra cup of cheese (for nachos): $1.75
A small bottle of water: $3.75
A large bottle of water: $4.00
Pretzel: $3.75

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:18 AM

A popcorn and a soda: $9
A popcorn and two sodas: $13.75
A soda and hot dog: $7.50
A soda and nachos: $8.50

An extra cup of cheese (for nachos): $1.75
A small bottle of water: $3.75
A large bottle of water: $4.00
Pretzel: $3.75

Movie theatre food and drinks may be one of the easiest ways to get cheated out of money, and it always happens. Unbelievable the prices.

#22 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:24 AM

The bad part is, even as an employee, I still have to pay the full price when I'm not in uniform when I have a day off to see a film.

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:26 AM

Not surprising, as nothing comes cheap.

#24 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:40 PM

I'd like to throttle whoever put that in the theaters.

Na, first one was bad, the second was good.

#25 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

Just saw THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW today, and I must say I was a bit dissapointed. I was expecting a more outrageous, mindless disaster flick, and I felt the film didn't give me a "Ah!" at the end. Once it comes out on DVD, I will not view it ever again.

I felt the ending was pretty good for it, although not the average ending occasionally. It seemed at first like this movie was going to be pure action, but I rather liked it after seeing it.

#26 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:02 PM

I felt the ending was pretty good for it, although not the average ending occasionally.

I don't know who to put up that "spoiler" thing, but If you haven't seen The Day After Tomorrow, and don't want to know how it ends, turn away now.

I really liked the ending. It's not all the time where everything is still dog-:) in the end. Besides, if the world was to be fine in the end, how would they explain it?

Edited by Gabe Vieira, 02 June 2004 - 09:04 PM.

#27 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:30 AM

I felt the ending was pretty good for it, although not the average ending occasionally.

I don't know who to put up that "spoiler" thing, but If you haven't seen The Day After Tomorrow, and don't want to know how it ends, turn away now.

I really liked the ending. It's not all the time where everything is still dog-:) in the end. Besides, if the world was to be fine in the end, how would they explain it?

*Minor spoilers*

True, and I think the final shot of the Earth, different as it may be, works for the film. I wasn't sure how they'd finish the film off, either with the entire world in danger, or just the frozen northern parts as shown in the film. It worked though.

#28 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:41 AM

But, what Emmerich should have done is: Zoom out to the moon, and have the Earth turning so we could see the ice age all around the northern hemisphere, the stars, Venus, a little sliver of Mercury, and have the sun just behind the earth so it's rays just bearly glimmer over earth with the stars behind everything. THAT would have been an amazing shot. Best in the film I think.

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:47 PM

But, what Emmerich should have done is: Zoom out to the moon, and have the Earth turning so we could see the ice age all around the northern hemisphere, the stars, Venus, a little sliver of Mercury, and have the sun just behind the earth so it's rays just bearly glimmer over earth with the stars behind everything. THAT would have been an amazing shot. Best in the film I think.

Indeed an interesting idea you have there. I think the best shot in the film was the chaos happening when they were directly in the core of the storm. Rather good shots in that scene I'd say, good tension for a disaster film.