This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

I defy anyone to name a better director for Bond based on track record...

6 replies to this topic

#1 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 June 2001 - 05:10 PM

I defy any of you to name a director better suited to a Bond film BASED ON HIS/HER TRACK RECORD than John McTiernan.

Seriously, look at the man's credits...

Nomads (with Pierce Brosnan)
Predator
Die Hard
The Hunt For Red October
Medicine Man (with Sean Connery)
Die Hard With A Vengeance
The 13th Warrior
The Thomas Crown Affair (again with Pierce Brosnan)

That is quite a list - and most of those films fit in stylistically with the James Bond series VERY well. Cross the Die Hard action with the character development and sophistication of The Thomas Crown affair and The Hunt For Red October and you've got the perfect Bond style.

I know, I've mentioned McTiernan a dozen times here, but he really is the perfect director for the job.

I don't know why Eon keeps overlooking him (or just passing on him). Even if they had to give the final cut to McTiernan they could rest assured that he would get it right.

There is no other director with a track record so perfectly suited for Bond.

#2 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 05:04 PM

Eon wouldn't have to - MGM would!

The 13th Warrior was not a Bond film. Is there a movie series more famous than the Bond films? No.

John McTiernan has directed some of the best (and most successful) action/adventure films of the last 15 years. Put Bond and McTiernan together and you've got instant media HYPE!!!

That's what the Bond series needs to crack the $200 million mark in the US. To get the "casual" Bond fans into the theaters requires more than just another Bond movie, regardless of how good it's supposed to be.

Attach John McTiernan and then MGM can play up the hype (and the media will definitely play along) - and THAT will get the casual fans to buy tickets. Then we'd get an added plus of a GREAT Bond movie!

#3 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 03:48 PM

McT's track record didn't do much for "The13th Warrior"'s take.

Don't misunderstand me, I think McT would be fine, but I can't actually see EON hyping a Bond movie in this style.

#4 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 06:35 AM

The HYPE around a Bond movie "from the director of Die Hard, The Hunt For Red October, and The Thomas Crown Affair" would be worth 5 times at the box office what the extra cost of McTiernan would be.

He would definitely get the right "feel" for the movie, and wouldn't "Americanize" the film at all.

Eon is just being short sighted by not using him. BIG time mistake.

#5 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 05:45 AM

I wonder if EON have deliberately avoided using American directors so as to retain Bond's "Britishness", something that not all American directors(and I don't necessarily mean McTiernan) would have a feeling for.
John Landis for instance would miss the "British" flavour by a country mile.
Also, McTiernan wouldn't come cheap and EON are budget conscious.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 01:30 AM

You're right. McTiernan would be a great choice. And he did just drop out of SMOKE & MIRRORS...so...he's available.

The wild card is whether or not MGM is happy w/ ROLLERBALL?

#7 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 14 June 2001 - 07:38 PM

I think he would be a good choice because the Die Hards and Pedators are some of my favourite movies.