29 replies to this topic

#1 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:13 AM

In my opinion, Telly Savalas did a reasonably good job as Ernst Stavro Blofeld in OHMSS. He has taken alot of flack in his "too-American" version of the SPECTRE leader. I'm here to defend him. He was a near-perfect choice as Blofeld. For one, he's bald, and two he acted nicely with Diana Rigg. Remember the sophisicated/Shakespearen scene with her? He's not better then Donald Pleasance, but better then Charles Gray, slightly. Your opinions?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:20 AM

You might be interested in some thoughts on him expressed here:

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=13366

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:58 AM

He's not better then Donald Pleasance, but better then Charles Gray, slightly. Your opinions?

I agree with you on all counts here.

#4 Simon Bermuda

Simon Bermuda

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:19 AM

In my opinion, Telly Savalas did a reasonably good job as Ernst Stavro Blofeld in OHMSS.

Yes, reasonably good about sums it up, in my opinion. Savalas wasn't the worst choice for Blofeld.

However, he wasn't the best, either. I agree with those who complain that he came across as too American. Savalas may share some Greek heritage with Blofeld, but there is little suggestion in his portrayal that Blofeld is half Greek and half Polish, as in the novels. To me, the Savalas of OHMSS seems more like a henchman - another Emilio Largo - than the criminal mastermind we get tantalizing glimpses of in FRWL and Thunderball.

Nor is the Blofeld of the novels bald-headed. In Thunderball he is a large, heavy man with close-cropped black hair. In the OHMSS novel his appearance has changed drastically: he is now slim, with long, fine, silvery-white hair, resembling a Klaus Kinski or Max von Sydow far more than a Telly Savalas.

The cat, if memory serves, is also an invention of the movie scriptwriters.

The hidden Blofeld of the earler films seems the most satisfactory portrayal, to me at least.

#5 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:23 AM

He's my favorite Blofeld, that we saw the face of...the voice of the FRWL's Blofeld is the best.

#6 TheCheat

TheCheat

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 494 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 01:49 PM

i agree with Tarl, he is the best of the 3 that were shown (but unofficially i think Max von Sydow may have been better in NSNA its pretty close)

#7 THEQUESTFORPEAC

THEQUESTFORPEAC

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 07:32 PM

i think he was the best Blofeld, its only a pitty he didn't do DAF

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 08:36 PM

I think he did a fair job as Blofeld but I would not say he was better than Charles gray. Personally I think Max Von Sydow was the best Blofeld even though he was underused.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:13 PM

At the moment, he's my favorite, as that spot is sometimes occupied by Pleasence' performance. Savalas did a fair job as the Blofeld we got to see face to face, certainly better than the follow up performance, which wasn't bad, but just fair.

#10 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:45 PM

I think Von Sydow's Blofeld oozed evil :)

#11 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:46 PM

Von Sydow seemed to laid back and never showed any menace. The lack of screentime also hurt his character.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

You felt his menace....I just don't get that from Pleasance, Savalas or Gray.

#13 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:48 PM

Blofeld wasn't supposed to be physically threatening...he has his goons do the rough stuff.

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:48 PM

I think his only standout scene, was when he addressed the World leaders of what SPECTRE would do, but even that was fair. Just my opinion.

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:56 PM

He only needed that one scene.

#16 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

Just watched NSNA last night. Von Sydow does seem menacing. You just know this guy isn't bluffing.

Telly Savalas was good too, but more like a naughty boy. I still dig the way he puffs his cigarette in front of Tracy in the elevator.

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:00 PM

Perhaps, but Savalas also had something similar to that in "that I mean what I say, and I'll do what I claim." A terrific line. Just personal choice I guess.

#18 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:04 PM

That's one of his best scenes in that film. I also like the line "Merry Christmas, 007!" Very memorable effort.

I agree, that Savalas isn't that menacing. But I think he was as Kojak.

#19 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:05 PM

Well it's the type of menace, as Pleasance has the loud and blasting type of anger, while Savalas and Von Sydow are quieter.

Didn't see too much from Gray. :)

#20 Onyx2626

Onyx2626

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:06 PM

Yes, that is a great line. And he did deliver his lines well. I guess I lean toward Max because I know he is European...

Anybody notice that Marlon Brando has a cat on his lap in the GF?

#21 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:08 PM

Hm, Brando would have been a great Blofeld.

"Mr. Bond, I'll make you an offer you can't refuse!" :)

#22 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:11 PM

Well it's the type of menace, as Pleasance has the loud and blasting type of anger, while Savalas and Von Sydow are quieter.

Didn't see too much from Gray. :)

I like all the actors who played Blofeld. Pleasance is my favorite, simply because he has a memorable look and as always, plays a great villain. von Sydow is good in the time he has, but that's really like saying the water is wet. When is Max von Sydow not good in a role? Savalas is very menacing in my opinion but I do think he is probably a little too physical for the character. I'll save most of my remarks on Charles Gray for the DAF article I'm toiling away on but I will say that for the film he appears in, his portrayal is quite appropriate. :)

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:13 PM

I do agree with that point, Genrewriter. Appropriate for the film.

Compared to other Blofeld's, he is fair in the role, but I can't criticize him for acting as the film went along. (Diamonds Are Forever) :)

#24 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:16 PM

I agree that Donald Pleasance is the best Blofeld. He had the scar, baldness, his menace was more then "plesant" and his lines were superb.

I also like him in HALLOWEEN.

#25 Max Zorin

Max Zorin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:53 AM

True, but Pleasance in know way resembles the Blofeld that Fleming created.

#26 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 02:55 AM

Pleasence was my favorite before I had never read any of the novels, then I grew to appreciate the man we do not see in From Russia With Love and Thunderball even more, once I had.

#27 Scottlee

Scottlee

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2592 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

I agree with the starter post - not as good as Pleasance, but better than Gray. Someone in another thread said Savalas was too much like a T.V villain, and to be honest I have to agree.

#28 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:12 PM

As described in the novel "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" Blofeld in the physical sence seems most like Charles Gray. Silvery hair, thin ugly smile, and he certainly has more of a build than his two predecessors. His voice, however, lacks much intimidation. Here is where Savalas at least provides some continuity in the series, particularly with his hypontic instructions to the girls. Although the accent is different, he sounds a bit like the Blofeld in "From Russia With Love" and "Thunderball". If you don't care about how Fleming wrote the character, Pleasance is decent as a Bond villain.

#29 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:13 AM

I don't think that Savalas as Blofeld is believable. Blofeld is supposed to be intimidating, genius, and psychotic. Pleasance's Blofeld captures the genius part, but doesn't seem that threatening. Gray's Blofeld captures the psychotic part, but again, isn't a threat. I would have preferred VINCENT PRICE to play Blofeld in OHMSS. If he did, some changes would have needed to be made:

-Don't have Blofeld involved in the chase sequence. It seems degrading to the character to have a hands on role in the elimination of 007, unless it's a last resort. Maybe have him trail in a helicopter, then shoot the flare, causing the avalanche.

-When he hears of 007's escape, don't have him throw down his trademark Persian cat.

-Perhaps a slightly less physical bob-sled chase

#30 Willie Garvin

Willie Garvin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:57 PM

I've always liked Telly's Blofeld best--of the onscreen Blofelds.My favorite will always be the Unseen Blofeld of From Russia With Love and Thiunderball.The long thin hands and eerie voice really impress me in a way none of the on camera Blofelds can.From his brief appearance in Thunderball we can see that Blofeld's a tall man with a long face a full head of hair and a slender build.

Despite the bald head,Telly's a good physical match for Blofeld--something the terribly miscast Donald Pleasance never was.Savalas has an air of authority about him too--it's not hard to believe that he's the leader of a terrorist organization.He's not a nice fellow--the charm is all for show and not sincere.He's not overly sophisticated.This man is scum-a killer a madman with little regard for human life.And he's vain enough to also try buying respectabilty.I don't see that with Donald Gray, although I'll always think that had he been given a serious script, he could have been the greatest of all the Blofelds.He had an impressive height,a hawk-face,a distictive voice not unlike that of George Sanders,and cold grey-blue eyes.A potentially menacing individual--check him out as Mocata the Satanist in the Hammer film The Devil Rides Out before dismissing him.Or as Mycroft Holmes,the brother who is smarter than Sherlock.Unfortunately Eon turned him into a clown.

At any rate,Telly Savalas brings a dangerous energy to the screen that Blofeld really needs to be a credible threat to 007.His moments with Diana Rigg are especially fine--a couple of pros enjoying themselves.It's so easy to write off Savalas as too American or as Kojak(a character he didn't play until after appearing in OHMSS) but considering the storyline and the film itself those are small factors.OHMSS needed a dynamic actor along with a talented leading lady to help bolster their new 007.And I think he's succeeds.

Of course,Savalas isn't the ideal Blofeld.Had I been in charge at Eon, I'd have signed Christopher Lee or Peter Wyngarde to a 3 picture contract to play Blofeld in the Blofeld Trilogy--shot in it's correct order(with a considerably more faithful to the novel screenplay for You Only Live Twice),and starring a commited Sean Connery in all 3 movies.But that's just me...

Edited by Willie Garvin, 10 June 2004 - 06:01 PM.