24 replies to this topic

#1 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:10 AM

I am sure you are all wondering what the HELL I could be talking about. What Feminist factor could possibly be involved in the "Young James Bond" series? Unfortunately, this is a huge factor that needs to be addressed.

If the IFP is looking to dip into the Harry Potter bank roll, (and I acknowledge that is a big if), the IFP has greatly underestimated the Feminist factor, and how that is going to stop parents, and in particular some mothers, from allowing their children to read these books.

As far as I can see, Harry Potter has never upset Feminist sensibilities in any real way. It is politically correct and it is blessed by the talking heads that guide those who are undesiring of making up their own minds.

James Bond has never had that kind of luck. Lots of feminists (but I admit, not all), hate Bond and they hate Fleming. They think both men are mysogynistic dinosaurs.

Moreover, Bond is perceived by some to be politically incorrect. And as has been already discussed in these forums, the issues of Bond's drinking, smoking, and sexuality are going to have to be addressed sooner rather than later in this series. How is that going to be viewed?

Some PC parents are not going to buy these books and may forbid their children to read them either because they are offended by what they think Bond is, or (and IMHO more likely), they don't want to be seen by other parents as being politically incorrect by letting their kids read this series of books.

That's my two cents.

-- Xenobia

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:16 AM

Moreover, Bond is perceived by some to be politically incorrect. And as has been already discussed in these forums, the issues of Bond's drinking, smoking, and sexuality are going to have to be addressed sooner rather than later in this series. How is that going to be viewed?

Some PC parents are not going to buy these books and may forbid their children to read them either because they are offended by what they think Bond is, or (and IMHO more likely), they don't want to be seen by other parents as being politically incorrect by letting their kids read this series of books.

That's my two cents.

-- Xenobia

In keeping with those ideas, parents need to go and read these books for themselves, before they make unfounded comments on something they just simply do not know about if they haven't read it.

I was told by a store associate that a parent wouldn't buy her teen son one of the Penguin reprint novels because she thought the images to be totally inapproriate. People need to judge by content, and not by what they've heard, what they think they know, or by a simple cover.

#3 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:20 AM

Pish Posh Feminists and their PC ways!

(I know that's not very insightful at all :))

#4 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:29 AM

I wouldn't really say "piss off" to them. Maybe the parents have a point at not watning the kids to read the books. They seen what they seen in the movies, but yes, I agree with Querty that the parents need to read the content themselves, and that seems the biggest problems right now with the "Young Bond" novels.

#5 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:34 AM

Athena, I wish someone else would say that to the Feminists.

I just looked at a preview for next issue of the Modern Language Association magazine, and I kid you not, this is the title of one of the articles : "Alien Sex Acts in Feminist Science Fiction: Heuristic Models for Thinking a Feminist Future of Desire."

And these folks are worried about what Bond does?????? Give me a break!

Qwerty is right...people need to make up their own minds about books, films, and TV, but why would they do that, when the talking ends on TV can do it for them? :)

-- Xenobia

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:37 AM

Exactly Xen!

Heaven forbid they have a brain when a critic can have one for them and make the decisions! :)

#7 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 07:40 AM

Heck, I'll say it, Xen! :)

It never ceases to amaze me that some people are simply willing to give their brains away to a group for no other reason than they just are too frigging lazy to think for themselves.

#8 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 11:33 AM

Feminists are such a boring lot, while at the same time being a whoring lot. Quite a paradox, eh?

4A

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:32 PM

I wish they would get lost in a pardox vortex 4A.

Do you realize this series might never even happen if the feminists get wind of this, and cause a big enough stink?

-- Xen

#10 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:46 PM

I can't stand feminists...the kind that think anything bad that happens to them is the result of the evil patriarchy's opression of women.

However, I won't shed any tears if they ruin the young Bond books.

#11 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:43 AM

I presume though that the board at Ian Fleming Publications has already considered the "feminist factor" and modern politically correct sensibilities and have worked with Charlie Higson and Puffin books to create a child friendly James Bond universe.

I don't think that it matters that the books are set in the 1930's, because all the characters in them will have 21st century values. For this series to work at all, IFP and Puffin will need to have a promotion/publicity campaign that re-assures parents that this "James Bond" is not the same James Bond in the Ian Fleming novels or in the film series. Perhaps they will pay child psychologists for endorsements of the new book?

I really don't know if they will be successful at convincing skeptical parents and grandparents that the child-oriented James Bond books are a good purchase.
Hopefully, Ian Fleming Publications and Puffin have miscalculated the "feminist factor" and politically correct sensibilities and Higson's book will flop.

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:18 AM

Well, if the pyschologists come in and say how the book is perfectly tame and won't do any damage, the kids won't want to read it, and the true Bond fans will know its rubbish, so either way, it's a win-win.

The books will flop. :)

-- Xenobia

#13 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:52 AM

Sorry Xen, what evidence do you have for this? All I see is a load of supposition with the phrases 'some people' and 'maybe' appearing a lot.

This appears to be some sort of advertisment to show how you are a funky 21st century woman who can deal with Bond being a 20th century man whilst these mysterious 'others' (who are never named or quoted) are too up their own imaginary backsides to be as groovy as you.

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 10:48 AM

Do you realize this series might never even happen if the feminists get wind of this, and cause a big enough stink?

I doubt that "the feminists" have that kind of power. Besides, don't the Andrea Dworkins and Naomi Wolfs of this world have bigger fish to fry than Young James Bond?

#15 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:47 AM

Sadly Loomis, from what I can gather since Al Gore isn't running for
(re)election in 2004, Dworkin and Wolf have plenty of time to spin their wheels on the young James Bond series, especially if they haven't been published for a while and need to pad their CVs.

As for your comments MTM...I don't need to advertise that most post modern critics are not as groovy as me. Spend five minutes in my pressence, and you will know that I am the grooviest chick on the planet. :)

-- Xenobia

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:18 AM

What are "feminists?"

:)

#17 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 08:39 AM

So from your glib reply I take it you are admitting you have made this whole thing up?
Or worse, are these hideously PC attitudes actually your own, but ones which you don't have the conviction of admitting and have to give them to non-existant 'others'? Why start a topic if you don't want to discuss it and just make facetious comments?

This point here is a fair one, but a pretty uninformed one. Ask anyone on the street who they think James Bond is and will they reply 'scarred face, Bentley driving, sea-island shirt wearing murderer' or will they say 'wise-cracking, dinner-suited, gadget-using, Aston Martin-driving super-man'? Honestly, no-one's going to be offended by Bond. Unless you are? It is the very definition of 'patronising' to imagine yourself to be better informed or more open minded than others.

#18 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:33 PM

Sadly Loomis, from what I can gather since Al Gore isn't running for
(re)election in 2004, Dworkin and Wolf have plenty of time to spin their wheels on the young James Bond series, especially if they haven't been published for a while and need to pad their CVs.

Yes, well, they'd have to hear or read about Young James Bond first. And unless they hang out with Bond fans or visit sites like this one, I'll wager that both Dworkin and Wolf (who in any case have much bigger fish to fry - check out Dworkin's website to get an idea of the things that truly concern her, such as violence against women and pørnography) will go to their graves ignorant of Higson and his work.

Young James Bond? Feminists just couldn't give a monkey's. There are larger - much larger - issues.

#19 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:11 AM

Oh Loomis, I agree there are MUCH LARGER issues out there.

That being said, there is a slight problem in the world called Tenure. What tenure does, for those who don't know, is to guarantee that once a teacher has it, they can do pretty much whatever they want, because it is now virtually impossible to fire them.

To get tenure, at the university level at least, you must publish, and publish, and publish some more. Some of the truly lame brained don't think the big issues have enough material to write about (which is a lie, you just have to be creative in your thinking), so they write strange things like long tracts on the sex lives of female aliens in post modern fiction, or they attack children's books.

It's not cool, it's not right...but it happens.

As for your question Zencat, that's a freaking dissertation in its own right. What a feminist is, depends on who you ask, and when you ask. Suffice to say at the bare bones level, a feminist is concerned about women's rights.

As for you MTM, since no explanation I have ever given you has satisfied you, and more over, I don't think in your lifetime you WANT to be satisfied by anyone or anything, I am no longer going to waste my breath defending myself to you. But rest assured, the next time you take a potshot at ANYONE else on this board, you will feel my fury, and that's not a pretty thing, and that's not something I am making up.

-- Xenobia

#20 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 11:32 AM

The problem with tenure, and university professors in general, is that they seem to forget that they have a responsibility to train students. For the most part, the professors just come into class and give a canned lecture. They then let the TA do the rest of the work, while the professor goes off and screws around most of the day.

When students complain that the "creative" exams don't in the least reflect what has been taught in the lectures, the professor's default response is, "well I am trying to get you to think".

The university academic system, in general, needs an enema.

4A

#21 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 12:48 PM

That's my two cents.

You should have used them to buy a decent conspiracy theory. No, no and no.

#22 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 12 April 2004 - 04:17 PM

...James Bond is about adventure, beautifull women (smart is preferable), fast cars, gambling, great food & drinks, the whole world as a decor, and some great violence...

Such is the life of Four Aces :)

#23 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:44 AM

Four Aces...I agree with you totally. The entire systems needs to be revised. If Professors don't want to teach, then they shouldn't be granted tenure, simple as that. Anyone can get published (note the now trice mentioned "Alien Sex" article), but it takes a truly special someone to be a great teacher.

As for you Matty...go back to watching "24." I'll let you know when you have permission to speak. :)

-- Xenobia

#24 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:20 PM

Nobody tries to 'appease' feminists and its not like the feminists will now buy the books. Perhaps you are implying that all feminists read Harry Potter and other childrens books because they are immature. Shame, shame and shame.

#25 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:36 PM

No, I mean feminists read those books because they are looking for something....ANYTHING...that can get them published and make their career.

And that is a shame, shame, shame.

-- Xenobia