2 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:33 AM

It's obvious that the new James Bond 'teen' novels will be aimed at a younger audience, which will most likely mean different styles of plots, characters and ideas.

What I'm wondering is, do you think that the growing difficultly in making new adventures for the literary James Bond had any play in this idea to go to a younger Bond, and thereby opening a brand new door for a whole selection of new and fresh plots. Even though the plots and elements would be totally different and on a seperate level than what we're accustomed to, they would definitely be something that has not been seen in a Bond novel recently, really not since 003 1/2 really.

I'm not saying any of the plots in the recent Bond novels were bad or repetitious, on the contrary, they were very good, but it does seem like they might get hard to come up with new ideas, yes?

#2 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 03:28 AM

In alot of ways, Bond has changed over the years. And I think that the authors haven't really ran out of ideas, because in a sense the authors like John Gardner and Raymond Benson haven't stepped up to par in Fleming's relm of Bond. I do agree that that making good fresh and intriging ideas is harder now for the authors to comprehend, due to the mystical wonder of James Bond, and how he should be potrayed. I agree with you Qwerty that the stories made up for the last few novels have been a little uninspired, and that making a new series of Bond novels for a younger generation is the next way to go for future Bond enthusists. I think in my opinion that Higson might succeed if he makes fresh and wonderful stories to young Bond lovers. And I feel the new novels weren't made due to lacking stories from Benson and Amis, but for a profitable business. That's my opinion. Thank you for listening

#3 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

You make some interestin points.

Personally, I feel that they could have kept going with the James Bond we know, and still be able to create some fantastic stories with new and exciting plots, Benson proved this, but I'll keep a positive attitude for these new ones.