This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Was Lazenby with Bruce Lee on his last days?

16 replies to this topic

#1 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:36 PM

No, this isn't a lie. I would confirm this on the 007 book, JAMES BOND THE LEGACY, that George Lazenby was actually filming a movie with Lee, the superstar martial artist, just before he died. You all heard that Lee might have died from an ancient curse, but maybe it was Lazenby that prompted his death? I think Lazenby was around Lee's last days, as they were friends. My remembrance is sketchy, what movie were they working on? If not a movie, I just know that Lazenby was around Lee's last days. Your opinions, guys?

#2 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:24 AM

DoublenoughtSpy, CBn's resident Lazenby expert, knows the answer to this. He should be posting shortly.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:28 AM

They werent filming a movie, but they were talking about making one. In fact Lee gave Lazenby a huge advance on his salary the day before he passed away. Someone can confirm that for me, but I know it to be the truth.

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:56 AM

Wasn't GL one of the many stars who were trained by Lee in the martial arts? It was one of reasons why Lazenby publicly dissed the lame (his words) fighting in The Man With The Golden Gun during it's period of initial release.

It's probably not all that surprising that they were together, for any reason, just before Lee's death.

#5 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:59 AM

I believe so, BC. He also starred in a kung-fu action flick called Stoner. From what I hear and have read it's a decent watch, though nothing that will stay with you for a long time. :)

#6 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:16 AM

You all heard that Lee might have died from an ancient curse, but maybe it was Lazenby that prompted his death?

Explain.

#7 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:38 AM

Lazenby and Lee had met shortly before Lee's death and after Lee had learned who Lazenby was, he offered him a role in his next movie and even gave him an advance pay of $10.000.

On the night Lee died, Lazenby, Lee's manager and Lee had a meeting for dinner, but Lee didn't come (because he was dead).

That's basically the story as far as I know it, not sure if all of this is 100% correct.

#8 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:36 AM

Sounds closely right as far as my memory is concerned.

I thought Lee met Lazenby, realised he was short of $$$ they organised a film and he gave GL the 10 large.

#9 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 April 2004 - 11:11 AM

This is that thread: Lazenby In Bruce Lee Films.

#10 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

Icephoenix, If you read this. The reason why Lazenby may have prompted Lee's death was maybe Lazenby was the curse himself? He almost ruined the James Bond franchise!

#11 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 01:18 AM

Icephoenix, If you read this. The reason why Lazenby may have prompted Lee's death was maybe Lazenby was the curse himself? He almost ruined the James Bond franchise!

Good grief!

If I was Lazenby I'd consider sueing over that comment.
:)

#12 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 03:39 AM

I was just kidding! But Lazenby almost did.

#13 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 04:26 PM

I thought this was common knowledge!

#14 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:09 PM

I was just kidding! But Lazenby almost did.

No he didnt. It's naive people like you that refuse to see how great Lazenby really was in the role :)

#15 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:59 AM

I do agree that Lazenby did a fine job as Bond, my least favorite of the five, but still quite good. Yes, his film didn't do well at the box-office, agreed. But the wide fan appeal and overall appreciation for this film has shown that On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Lazenby included worked very well together.

#16 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 02:41 AM

I said I was kidding, MAN! :)

I DO LIKE LAZENBY! IN SOME WAYS. I AIN'T NAIVE, I'M A UNASSUMING JAMES BOND FAN JUST LIKE YOURSELF! LAZENBY DID CONTRIBUTE TO OHMSS, I'M JUST TELLING THE TRUTH JUST SPEAKING THE TRUTH. I DON'T TAKE NAIVETY THE WRONG WAY.

Edited by SPECTRE_ASSASSIN, 09 April 2004 - 02:42 AM.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 02:59 AM

I think Lazenby did a great job and it was great to see Peter Hunt and all the other people on the DVD say that he did a fantastic job as 007. I watched it just the other night (I think it's actually still in my DVD player) and I think Lazenby should be commended.