If we are going to be getting a glimpse at James Bond

#2 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:51 PM

Interesting point, Mr. A. Fleming already established that Bond lost his virginity (and wallet) to a prostitute in Paris at 16. Will they tell that story -- or will that be too "edgy" for their target audience?

Guess it all depends on the tone of the books.

#3 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

Actually, these books will focus on James Bond and his friends traveling around in their mystery van solving crimes in the English countryside.

#4 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:24 PM

I HATE THIS IDEA!

:)

They are gonna turn James Bond into Harry Potter.

Yeah, I'll read 'em anyway. :)

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:01 PM

[quote name='Mister Asterix' date='6 April 2004 - 00:47']If we are going to be getting a glimpse at James Bond

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:09 PM

"Bond has a wank".

Well, it's a plot. Ish.

Bond's voice breaks
Bond's first zit
Bond's bum fluff
Bond and the curtain hairstyle
Bond and the unwisely affected monocle
Bond wonders if he is gay
Bond spends twenty minutes with the bra catalogue
Bond discovers he isn't gay
Bond gets to touch her nips
Bond takes a young lady up the wrong 'un
Bond's geography test
Bond visits matron
Bond gets woozy on two litres of cheap white cider

Suddenly, I realise that I never needed to read any of this. And still don't feel the need to.

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:54 PM

Actually, these books will focus on James Bond and his friends traveling around in their mystery van solving crimes in the English countryside.

LOL....That was priceless Chandler

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:00 PM

Actually, all this does remind me of those Hardy Boys and Alfred Hitchcock Presents... "Boys Own" type adventure/mysteries I read as a kid. They were great reading, and I still have the whole hardcover set of both series.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:03 PM

Actually, all this does remind me of those Hardy Boys and Alfred Hitchcock Presents... "Boys Own" type adventure/mysteries I read as a kid. They were great reading, and I still have the whole hardcover set of both series.

I was always more partial to the Enid Blyton adventures myself - many happy hours were spent reading her novels when I was younger. My favorite was "Valley of Adventure".

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:39 PM

I do hope that this Bond is just as tough and similar to the original Bond. They should keep the facts that Fleming laid out, how he lost his virginity, as told in the FYEO collection.

It's Bond, and they shouldn't be worried about it being too 'adult oriented or edgy'.

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:40 PM

In the first novel, James Bond gets in his first after school fight in the fight alley behind the school. That oughta show you how tough he is!

#12 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:48 PM

No way. Some wank at IFP saw how much money was being raked in by Harry Potter, and decided there was money to be made. They have a target audience, and it is not us. That line about appealing to young and old alike sounds quite Harry Potterish to me and brings back memories of 003 1/2 (not a bad book, certainly, but this time they're messing with Bond himself.)

That said, I do find it quite pleasing that they are actually going retro and placing the stories in the 30's. It is encouraging that this would logically open the doors for future continuation novels to be done as period pieces. Higgy is an unknown to me, and like many of us, I will be digging up everything he's written very shortly. It should be interesting to see who bags the first interview; there are some obvious questions that beg for answers.

#13 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

That said, I do find it quite pleasing that they are actually going retro and placing the stories in the 30's. It is encouraging that this would logically open the doors for future continuation novels to be done as period pieces.

I am with you on that, clink.

#14 MrDraco

MrDraco

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:06 PM

this by far, (holds hand up) the worest idea i've ever seen, just give us freaken book novelizations then...young james bond...insane...what are they thinking? slowly were dying... it always starts with the 'young series.' be like me establishing a 'young john mason.' or 'indiana jones.'

#15 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:10 PM

And how oh praytell are they going to work in Bond's racism? Will CH try to explain it all away by saying that "It went with the times."

Bad, bad, bad.

-- Xenobia

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:11 PM

And how oh praytell are they going to work in Bond's racism? Will CH try to explain it all away by saying that "It went with the times."

Bad, bad, bad.

-- Xenobia

Bad, yep, that's a way to describe it.

One wonders how much of the previous Bond adventures will be told about in these stories, or how they'll lead up to those stories. They really should have never gone back in time, just doesn't work.

#17 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:23 AM

Excuse my earlier comment, wrong thread. :)

I still think this is a terrible way to go. Bond's mysterious past was just a plot device used by Fleming to make his character more interesting. Now they have to go and try to "explain" it. :)

#18 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:26 AM

I figure Bond solving crimes in a mystery van might sound cool. Yeah, if your retarded.

#19 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:43 AM

Yep, and Bond and his canine friend can eat some scooby snacks!

#20 KMHPaladin

KMHPaladin

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:34 AM

This is a ridiculous idea. The Hardy Boys were the first real books I read. "James Bond Jr." or whatever they're calling this series is going to be a cheesy ripoff. Fleming must be rolling in his grave. Will Jimmy meticulously cook his grilled cheese for "three and a third minutes" or enjoy his grape juice "very strong and very cold and very well made"? Un freakin' believable.

#21 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:03 AM

Yep, and Bond and his canine friend can eat some scooby snacks!

Which will undoubtedly lead to speculation as to what drug they're supposed to represent. :)

#22 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:55 AM

[quote]IFP saw how much money was being raked in by Harry Potter, and decided there was money to be made.

#23 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:25 AM

That said, I do find it quite pleasing that they are actually going retro and placing the stories in the 30's.

Yes, but it won't be like any 1930s you've ever read about before, clink.

#24 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:13 AM

They need to steer clear of everything Harry Potter related, this is James Bond, not some boy wizard who learns how to do magic, reading something similar in style to that would be a chore I wouldn't like much, from a Bond novel.

#25 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:48 AM

Will the young James Bond in the early 1930s be earnestly telling his German teacher of his admiration for "your Mr Hitler"? :)