This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Would you have liked Lazenby to do another one?

54 replies to this topic

#31 BondFreak

BondFreak

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:03 PM

i would have to say if lazenby wasn't fired hed be better then connery. *cower*

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:55 PM

i would have to say if lazenby wasn't fired

I wonder how many times he's heard that...

#33 SimplyMoore

SimplyMoore

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 06:09 PM

Was Laz fired or did he leave of his own free will? I remember he said once that he wanted to be remembered for only one Bond film. Then again, he might have said that to make himself look better if he was fired. :)
I wouldn't have wanted Lazenby to make another Bond, because he is my least favourite of all Bond actors. However, had he made more films he might have grown on me. :) But then we wouldn't have had Roger Moore in the role, and while some may jump for joy thinking of that, I, on the other hand wouldn't be too happy since Roger Moore is my favourite Bond. :)

#34 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:24 PM

Was Laz fired or did he leave of his own free will?

I believe it was of his choosing, and not the producers.

Here's a site with some excellent info on Lazenby and his role in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service:

http://www.ohmss.blo....com/ohmss.html

#35 BondFreak

BondFreak

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:16 PM

If Lazenby did at least 3 more hed be the best bond

#36 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

If Lazenby did at least 3 more hed be the best bond

He'd definitely be more developed, but I don't know if I could see him as the best of the best.

#37 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:25 AM

I have come to appreciate George Lazenby more then ever since the last time I saw OHMSS. Sure, he was akward and inexpierenced, but with a little of more of acting classes, he would have been a good one. An inspired performance by an actor who had no acting expierence and all and was last seen doing a fry commerical! :)

BUT NO WAY BETTER THEN SEAN! I DARE NOT THINK THAT! :)

#38 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:46 AM

I have come to appreciate George Lazenby more then ever since the last time I saw OHMSS. Sure, he was akward and inexpierenced, but with a little of more of acting classes, he would have been a good one. An inspired performance by an actor who had no acting expierence and all and was last seen doing a fry commerical! :)

BUT NO WAY BETTER THEN SEAN! I DARE NOT THINK THAT! :)

I've come to think that I would only want to see Lazneby in this film, not Connery.

#39 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:48 AM

Yes, me too.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:49 AM

Connery is a better Bond, but this film itself is better than some of the ones he starred in.

#41 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:53 AM

Yeah. I think at the time, Connery's films like TB and YOLT were just cashing in the spy craze and never really developed artistically as OHMSS.

#42 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:54 AM

Yeah. I think at the time, Connery's films like TB and YOLT were just cashing in the spy craze and never really developed artistically as OHMSS.

I'd say You Only Live Twice was the first to cash in, Thunderball still seemed to be them making the Bond films a worldwide smash along with Goldfinger. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is all class though.

#43 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:57 AM

Did I mention TB? Oops!

YOLT was a good film, but like you said it was done for all the money and never took itself seriously.

#44 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 05:58 AM

I'd say it did, just wasn't as up to beat as the previous four.

#45 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 01:55 PM

As many of you have said I think Laz did a fine job in the film but I've always wished SC could have done this film. Then you could have had him playing out the revenge for his wife's death. OHMSS was one of the best stories because it's straight out of the book.

Moore unfortunately had to compete with Laugh-In and Disco and the rest of the laughable 70's. Dalton also suffered when he had to try to compete with Lethal Weapon and Die Hard series.

I met GL last year at SpyFest. He's very funny and probably could have done well over a series of Bonds but then we would have had very different movies. Now he's like an asterisk to the series.

#46 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 02:11 PM

As many of you have said I think Laz did a fine job in the film but I've always wished SC could have done this film. Then you could have had him playing out the revenge for his wife's death. OHMSS was one of the best stories because it's straight out of the book.

Perhaps if the film was done earlier with Connery would I have wanted to see it with him more. But if he was to star in it following You Only Live Twice, where he just seems to be moving with the scenes and action, I don't think he would have put enough into the character for this magnificent film.

#47 Moore Not Less

Moore Not Less

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1030 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 06:59 PM

Perhaps if the film was done earlier with Connery would I have wanted to see it with him more. But if he was to star in it following You Only Live Twice, where he just seems to be moving with the scenes and action, I don't think he would have put enough into the character for this magnificent film.

I would only wan't to see a fit and motivated Sean Connery starring in OHMSS, otherwise your just as well off with George Lazenby. Connery had clearly lost motivation after Thunderball and he was never as good as he had been previously.

OHMSS was originally scheduled to be filmed after Goldfinger. If this was the case, a motivated Connery would have been a far better Bond than Lazenby. I often wonder how similar or different the 1965 OHMSS could have been to the 1969 OHMSS we know so well.

#48 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:07 PM

OHMSS was originally scheduled to be filmed after Goldfinger. If this was the case, a motivated Connery would have been a far better Bond than Lazenby. I often wonder how similar or different the 1965 OHMSS could have been to the 1969 OHMSS we know so well.

True, then it might have been better with Connery, instead of after You Only Live Twice.

I've grown so used to Lazenby in that film now, he does a better job than most critics would say, I think.

#49 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:07 PM

I would only wan't to see a fit and motivated Sean Connery starring in OHMSS, otherwise your just as well off with George Lazenby. Connery had clearly lost motivation after Thunderball and he was never as good as he had been previously.

I agree with this. The Connery of 1968/69 was gaining weight and looking older and older. As is, OHMSS is great. It's a nice what-if, but nothing to lose sleep over at night.

#50 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:02 AM

He was only looking older because his wig sucked. Take a look at his hair in Dr. No through Goldfinger and then look at YOLT and DAF. What happened to the hair doctors?

#51 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:37 AM

He was only looking older because his wig sucked. Take a look at his hair in Dr. No through Goldfinger and then look at YOLT and DAF. What happened to the hair doctors?

His appearance in Diamonds Are Forever really shows through. Could have been better.

#52 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:17 PM

He was only looking older because his wig sucked.  Take a look at his hair in Dr. No through Goldfinger and then look at YOLT and DAF.  What happened to the hair doctors?

His appearance in Diamonds Are Forever really shows through. Could have been better.

He did sign on for DAF relatively later in the game for DAF (credit to Chandler Bind, who has brought this point up before), so that could account some for his looking out of shape. The hairpieces do look bad.

But to be honest, Connery does heavier in YOLT. Not badly, but you could tell he was up a bit from his TB weight. It doesn't help considering he was bored to begin with. I recall reading somewhere that Cubby Broccoli speaking about having to shoot around him because he gained weight and didn't look good, but don't recall what film he meant.

#53 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 02:30 PM

But to be honest, Connery does heavier in YOLT. Not badly, but you could tell he was up a bit from his TB weight. It doesn't help considering he was bored to begin with. I recall reading somewhere that Cubby Broccoli speaking about having to shoot around him because he gained weight and didn't look good, but don't recall what film he meant.

True, a point there. Connery's general appearence after Thunderball slightly decreased in the Bond films. I'd say though that while he was definitely rather bored in You Only Live Twice, his appearence may have been the worst in Diamonds Are Forever.

It's still not that bad though.

#54 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:15 PM

I have mixed feelings on GL. When I see the film, I always think "What would Connery have been like in this one?" But I accept Lazenby in the role, but never once do I think "He's just fine as 007." I will admit that the final scene with Rigg is very well done, ol' George got that bit right. But it wasn't enough to make me wish he had returned as Bond.

On an unrelated note, I almost considered OHMSS a non-canon Bond film, even if all the principal players are present (LLewellyn, Maxwell, John Barry, etc.,) it just seems like a hiccup in the series, since Lazenby didn't stick around. At least with Dalton, there was the interregnum that gave us time to remember him in the role. With George, it was just one film. Not really enough time to develop as an actor or in the part. I like OHMSS, but I think of it as a wonderful banquet with the wrong guest of honor.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 18 June 2004 - 03:16 PM.

#55 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 03:24 PM

I like OHMSS, but I think of it as a wonderful banquet with the wrong guest of honor.

Lazenby is indeed the name that will hardly ever get a mention from the non-Bond fans, whereas Connery, Moore and others will. However this one film he was in does indeed make him quite memorable, even if it was for a single film.