#2 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:10 PM

Superb work, zencat. :)

It seems that there was far more coverage (and championing?) of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN than of OCTOPUSSY during the "Battle of the Bonds". Did the mag go as far as adopting a "pro-Connery, anti-Moore" position?

#3 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:11 PM

Congratulations zencat and thanks for sharing the table of contents from each issue.

Any chance that the James Bond International Fan Club will reprint some of these articles as a "Best of 007 Magazine" edition?

#4 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:13 PM

Loomis
Posted: 21 March 2004 - 12:10

It seems that there was far more coverage (and championing?) of NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN than of OCTOPUSSY during the "Battle of the Bonds". Did the mag go as far as adopting a "pro-Connery, anti-Moore" position?

Well, the mag and club has always been a bit pro-Connery and anti-Moore. Yes, three NSNA covers in a row. Sort of bent me out of shape at the time. But to fair to the club, Moore and OP were featured on their newsletter OO7 Extra at this time.

The thing that got me was there was never a AVTAK cover. :) But, again, there was a OO7 Extra AVTAK cover.

#5 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:13 PM

Congratulations zencat and thanks for sharing the table of contents from each issue.

Any chance that the James Bond International Fan Club will reprint some of these articles as a "Best of 007 Magazine" edition?

Look down the list...there was an issue that did this already (Issue #38). :) Not sure if there's plans to do another.

Glad you guys like this. I've always wanted (needed) a reference guide for myslef. Decided to do one for myself and everyone at the same time. :)

#6 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

Nice collection you've got there Zencat , nice work in the article..keep up the good work! :)

#7 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:23 PM

Ah yes, Issue #38 from December 2000 was the "Best of 007 Magazine: 1979 to 2000."

#8 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:23 PM

Nice collection you've got there Zencat , nice work in the article..keep up the good work! :)

Thanks man. A forum member here at CBn helped me complete this. There was NO WAY I was going to find some of those very, very early issues on my own. #1 was just a single sheet of paper.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:24 PM

You've done a fantastic job on collecting Zencat, superb article.

You push all other collectors (myself for sure) to keep going at it to become as vast a collector like yourself.

~When it comes to Bond, if you don't own it, buy it~

Fantastic job!

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:29 PM

Just so everyone knows, those two issues that had multiple covers are going to cycle through each cover on the list. It

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:30 PM

Well, the mag and club has always been a bit pro-Connery and anti-Moore.

Hmmm.... I feel the desire to join coming on. :) Mind you, they currently seem a bit pro-Brosnan (three consecutive Broz covers, if I'm not mistaken). Tut tut. *Loomis picks up "The Corrector"*

Yes, three NSNA covers in a row. Sort of bent me out of shape at the time.

I'll bet. I'm surprised you didn't tender your resignation, zen. "We're not a country club, Mr Cox!" :)

#12 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:32 PM

You push all other collectors (myself for sure) to keep going at it to become as vast a collector like yourself.

Thanks Qwerty. That's another reason I did this list. Now collector's have their own checklist and know what these issues looked like. :) Or, if someone is a collector of a particular person, they know which issue to go after.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:34 PM

Hmmm.... I feel the desire to join coming on. :) Mind you, they currently seem a bit pro-Brosnan (three consecutive Broz covers, if I'm not mistaken). Tut tut. *Loomis picks up "The Corrector"*

Oh, they're still very pro-Connery... LOL.

But I would definitely join, Loomis. I just rejoined myself. :)

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:34 PM

A fine idea it is.

I'm very tempted to join now. What is the membership price now? (I know it's quite high, but I forget the actual number)

#15 thuffner

thuffner

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:36 PM

Very cool bibliography there. Wonder how much all of those zines are worth? :)

#16 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:39 PM

Very cool bibliography there. Wonder how much all of those zines are worth? :)

I did an article on that HERE. :)

#17 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:40 PM

Ah, never mind, just saw the link to the website. $89.50! Ick.

Still, I just might do it perhaps.....quite a load of cash though, would have to put it towards this and not Bond novels for a while. :)

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 08:41 PM

A fine idea it is.

I'm very tempted to join now. What is the membership price now? (I know it's quite high, but I forget the actual number)

I'm not sure off hand, but hit the link above and it will take you to their application page. It's expensive, but worth it, IMO. And it's now the ONLY way to get 'OO7' in a timely manner. I used to be able to find it in stores around LA. Not anymore. And the new issues, for whatever reason, never seem to show up on eBay.

#19 MarkA

MarkA

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:50 PM

Great list. I've been involved in many of those mags over the years. Also have a complete collection plus some spares if anyone is interested. Also we were very pro Connery because he was the Bond of our age group. Collectively the most popular Bond film amongst the early team producing 007 was FRWL, though Ross's favourite was OHMSS. I don't think any of us was into Roger Moore.

#20 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:43 AM

The other reason for all of the NSNA coverage was the cooperation of Taliafilm vs. EON.

Taliafilm was very happy to get publicity and helped out with pics, interviews, etc.

EON? As Boris would say "I think NOT!"

#21 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:23 AM

Nice list, John. Very cool.

#22 Lancaster

Lancaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:05 PM

Great article, good to see the early covers. I have been collecting these myself since I first saw issue 17 in my local shop and have been a member since 1989. Reading this makes me want to go after all the early additions I missed.

#23 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:44 PM

I was thinking about joining but it seems a bit too dear for me at the moment. Ah well, maybe next year.

#24 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 02:51 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='21 March 2004 - 20:02'] So what

#25 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:02 PM

Let me say a huge thanks for such a detailed article and very well done at that, Zencat. As 007 Magazine has been one of my collecting obsessions over the last few years, it comes as most welcome. While I doubt I'll ever have an entire collection of 007s, I am trying to collect from issue 15-onward and have about six to go to complete things through 2002. It's been the thrill of the chase as I picked another up the other day.

But isn't it funny event the club doesn't keep such an archive? Or at least try to reproduce some. I think the American fan club did that with their first few issues.

Also, Zencat, any chance you may be doing a similar article on the 007 Extras, Bondage or Collecting 007 in the future?

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:34 PM

[quote name='Simon' date='22 March 2004 - 06:51'] [quote name='zencat' date='21 March 2004 - 20:02'] So what

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:38 PM

Also, Zencat, any chance you may be doing a similar article on the 007 Extras, Bondage or Collecting 007 in the future?

Yes, I will do 007 Extra and Bondage, but I don't yet have a complete collection of Collecting 007. When I do, I'll do one on this mag as well (I love this fanzine!).

#28 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:44 PM

The other reason for all of the NSNA coverage was the cooperation of Taliafilm vs. EON.

Taliafilm was very happy to get publicity and helped out with pics, interviews, etc.

EON? As Boris would say "I think NOT!"

Of course, I never thought of that. :) I've heard Eon's treatment of the club has never been great. I also heard this started with the Lazenby interview. Is this true, or a Bond urban myth?

And a bias is fine. These are fanzines. They express a point of view of that collection of fans. And, as I said, Roger got some nice covers on 007 Extra.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. :)

#29 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:53 PM

I'll dig it out and have a look.

Didn't realise there was a different size issue - unless this was a version released in conjunction with a video/dvd or something. I seem to remember something along those lines.

#30 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:57 PM

Yes, I will do 007 Extra ............

You will certainly have your work cut out for you there. Didn't they swap and change the format and title of this interim publication a few times?

I'm sure the details are in all the 007 magazines but 007 Extra and For Your Eyes Only were some of the titles they played with and these don't seem to be as well documented as the existence of the main publication.

Best of luck!