14 replies to this topic

#1 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:23 AM

In On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, during the final fight on Piz Gloria, Tracy engages in a brutal fight with henchman Grunther, all the while, the James Bond theme plays.

At the very end of the fight, Tracy swings Grunther into the spikes hanging on the wall, when she does this, the James Bond theme seems to skip over a bit to get directly to the final notes of it to end right when he hits the spikes.

Just something that always stands out for me, has anyone else ever noticed this as well?

#2 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:45 AM

I've noticed it, but it doesn't really bother me. They edit a lot of tracks to blazes, to get them to fit in with the tone of the action. I'm a little dissapointed that Barry didnt use something else for that sequence, but it works fine.

#3 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 11:44 AM

Is this sequence the last time we hear the original Bond theme used during a film? (Not including OHMSS's titles)

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:13 PM

I think so brendan007.

#5 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 01:27 PM

OHMSS is the last time that the original recording of the James Bond theme is used.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:52 AM

Another interesting note: when the original theme plays in YOLT during the Little Nellie fight, after the first few notes, a gunshot rings out at the point Bond would fire in the gunbarrel sequence.

#7 americanbond

americanbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:57 AM

I've noticed that for sure. It's always bothered me a little, but the music and the action working together in the scene right after that certainly makes up for it.

#8 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:12 AM

Is this sequence the last time we hear the original Bond theme used during a film? (Not including OHMSS's titles)

Sure is.

Although, isn't the version of the theme that plays over the end titles different to the original 1962 recording?

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:14 AM

I believe so [dark].

It sounds like it has had some synths added into it.

#10 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 11:11 AM

I believe so [dark].

It sounds like it has had some synths added into it.

Oh I thought it was the classic theme over the titles. Does anyone think it was bad taste to put the Bond theme there after such a tragic ending? I dont personally, but I've heard other people say that.

#11 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:36 PM

Part of me would have liked to see the film go out with We Have All The Time In The World, just for a truly emotional ending.

But some believe that The James Bond Theme kicking in reassures us that James Bond will return, in spite of this huge kick to the gut he's just received. I guess that's kind of true, too.

#12 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:39 PM

But some believe that The James Bond Theme kicking in reassures us that James Bond will return, in spite of this huge kick to the gut he's just received. I guess that's kind of true, too.

Thats my opinion. Sure it was tragic and sad (and thats why i loved it), but its still a bond movie afterall. The Bond theme was needed to reassure the public that Bond will be back, in my opinion anyway.

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 03:29 PM

Well it's a huge change to have the very loud James Bond theme come in after his wife had been shot and the very solemn music tracks before it. I personally don't mind it too much, as [dark] and brendan007 both did mention.

It was just their final way to tell people that it's a different Bond film, with a downbeat ending and a different Bond actor, but it's still a James Bond film.

#14 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 10:35 PM

I also interpreted the use of the James Bond theme as a way to re-assure the audience that On Her Majesty's Secret Service was a Bond film and to make the ending a bit more upbeat.

I believe that before the film was released it was generally known that George Lazenby wouldn't be returning as James Bond.

Peter Hunt also mentioned on the Special Edition DVD that he had originally intended Tracy's death to appear in the pre-title sequence of the next Bond picture ]and be the starting point of the next story.

#15 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 01:02 PM

Actually, Peter Hunt fought for it to stay in OHMSS.