146 replies to this topic

#121 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:26 PM

And another Bond/Saab promotional item: stickers.

Found those on eBay, but unfortunately I couldn't be there when the auction ended. Had placed some 15 Euros on them three hours before it ended and they were still at two Euros then.

They finally sold for 20 and something, hope they went to good hands :) . But now that I know they exist, I know where to look for them...

#122 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:33 PM

Sorry about that Stromberg, I'm the guy who nabbed that sticker. This was the last piece from the original Saab/Bond promotion that I didn't have. I also got from the same seller a nice promotional pic, but I as outbid on a Saab magazine that had a story about the Bond/Saab promotion, dang-it!

These stickers do come up every so often and I check eBay regularly for Bond/Saab items. When I see another I

#123 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:51 PM

[quote name='zencat' date='20 September 2004 - 19:33'] Sorry about that Stromberg, I'm the guy who nabbed that sticker. This was the last piece from the original Saab/Bond promotion that I didn't have. I also got from the same seller a nice promotional pic, but I as outbid on a Saab magazine that had a story about the Bond/Saab promotion, dang-it!

These stickers do come up every so often and I check eBay regularly for Bond/Saab items. When I see another I

#124 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:56 PM

CBn-er bidding against each other :) ...what has the world come to! :)

#125 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:02 PM

CBn-er bidding against each other :) ...what has the world come to! :)

That is why you never put something on here you want, when you see it on eBay. :)

#126 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:45 AM

I was fortunate enough to catch sight of the Silver Beast during its promotional tour sometime in the 80s. I had gone to the Biggin Hill Air Fair (my other interest is in old war planes) and walking past the stalls came across a crowded one with the car in the middle of the crowd. I grabbed a copy of the leaflet posted, but with the crowd so tight around the car, didn't photograph it, much to my regret.

For whatever reason, when I passed the same stall an hour or so later, the car had gone (or was it the prototype "vanish"?

I have since learnt that when there is something of interest, to grab a photo regardless of the crowds, it may be my only chance.

Nice article by the way.

#127 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:56 AM

Thanks Mark_Hazard. How cool that you saw the real Silver Beast. Wouldn't still happen to have that leaflet, would ya?

#128 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

Thanks Mark_Hazard. How cool that you saw the real Silver Beast. Wouldn't still happen to have that leaflet, would ya?

View Post

Somewhere, yes - I only ever thinned my "scraps/paper" collection down once, probably during the 70s, and have regretted it ever since.

The leaflet I picked up, was as said, posted - the reverse side was in the article, showing the "gadgets" on the car and the front was shown in one of the later postings - mine's the same one.

#129 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:13 AM

View Post

Somewhere, yes - I only ever thinned my "scraps/paper" collection down once, probably during the 70s, and have regretted it ever since.

The leaflet I picked up, was as said, posted - the reverse side was in the article, showing the "gadgets" on the car and the front was shown in one of the later postings - mine's the same one.

View Post

Ah, yes. I have that baby in my Saab/Bond collection. I love the original artwork.

#130 YellowDetective

YellowDetective

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

Thank you for posting this article on the greatest Bond Car EVER!

#131 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thank you for posting this article on the greatest Bond Car EVER!

Yipiee! Another Bond/Saab fan. :cooltongue:

#132 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Time to bring this 2004 Article by Zencat back out and dust it off. Wonderful stuff. I missed so much back then!

#133 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

Time to bring this 2004 Article by Zencat back out and dust it off. Wonderful stuff. I missed so much back then!

It's one of the best original articles ever published by CBn and I've been here for 007 years. B)

#134 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:19 PM

Thanks guys. I also published it HERE so I can maintain it. The formatting on the original CBn article has gone wonky over the years.

#135 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

Thanks Zencat, Thats much better. Why do older forums threads/articles go so odd? Technology I guess. This will be printed off tomorrow. Very good. The Official history.

Where did the picture of the Silverbeast in the race with the Mustang from For Special Services come from? It's a treat.

#136 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Zencat, Thats much better. Why do older forums threads/articles go so odd? Technology I guess. This will be printed off tomorrow. Very good. The Official history.

Where did the picture of the Silverbeast in the race with the Mustang from For Special Services come from? It's a treat.

I think server changes make old articles go funky.

You can also try and track down OO7 Magazine #47. It's published in there with terrific pics from Graham Rye's collection. In fact, that where that Saab/Mustang pic is from.

#137 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

The "real" Silver Beast is for sale!

http://www.thebookbo...s-for-sale.html

#138 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

This is one car I would really like to have! One of my favourite Bond cars of all time (because I'm Swedish? Might be the reason :B)

Your article from 2006 about the car is fantastic, btw!

#139 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

And, of course, MI6 lifts the info without crediting me or my blog. Typical.

#140 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Not too familiar with MI6 but do they ever credit sources? Can't recall a case.

#141 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Not when it's another Bond site. They need to be the girl with the most cake.

#142 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

The auction closes today. I'm getting updates on what's happening. Hope to know something soon. Someone tell MI6 to stand by. ;p

#143 Lionheart

Lionheart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

Someone tell MI6 to stand by. ;p

Hahaha, "like"

#144 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

From Sweden With Love reports on their Facebook page that the city of Trollhättan has prevailed and the collection, including The Silver Beast, has been saved!

http://www.thebookbo...been-saved.html

Of course, I'm not going to believe it until I read it on MI6, because their info comes from magic.

#145 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Good to hear that, would have been a shame if the Silver Beast and its relatives were to be scattered over the globe.

#146 Kronsteen

Kronsteen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Good news! Hopefully they'll take care of the cars, and won't let them rust away...

I wonder if the Silver Beast is shown permanently at the museum, if that's the case it would be nice to go and see it. Before it's too late...

#147 Lionheart

Lionheart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

I wonder if the Silver Beast is shown permanently at the museum, if that's the case it would be nice to go and see it. Before it's too late...

I'm afraid it's not, Kronsteen. I've lived here in Trollhättan for more than six years now and it hasn't been shown at all for all that time. I have asked them/told them to "bring it out", but their reply is, as always, "we'll think about it when we make future changes in the display".

Of course, when I read the description of the "beast" it says "heavy, some rust, doesn't start, not in a good condition" so I guess it's not exactly what you would like "show off" in a car museum. So hopefully someone will fix it than make it part of the exhibition again, hopefully...