Bond and Dark People?

17 replies to this topic

#1 BillyBob

BillyBob

Recruit

• Crew
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 05:33 PM

I'm of the opinion that Bond just looks strange when paired up with a dark coloured actor in a Bond film. I don't think they should be in there.

#2 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 11:06 AM

Evil Doctor Cheese (17 Aug, 2001 07:29 p.m.):
I don't know where I got the tit bit of information on the next femme fatale being called Divine Rapture in Bond 20 (think it was mi6.co.uk) but does anyone think that she sounds like she could be black? As soon as I heard the name I thought about an attractive version of May Day. It would be quite interesting for Bond to be put up against another May Day-esque character. Then again it's been done before hasn't it? Personally I think that this rumoured Divine Rapture character should be a smouldering red head... we haven't had a red head Bond girl since Helga Brandt in YOLT (have we? Tiffany Case was a bit ginger!).

If it is true that a part of Bond 20 is set in New york then surely Divine could be from the Bronx or something... i dunno.

Divine Rapture is black ?...sounds interesting. I would love to see another black woman in the Bond series. Or even asian...to me those two races are exotic and therefore very appropriate for Bond.

When I think of the name, Divine, I think of that woman, Divine Brown...the one who had that embarrassing incident with Hugh Grant some years ago. By crikey !...if that wasn't one of the stupidest things that could happen to an actor, then I don't know what is.

#3 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 10:50 PM

He's had his fair share of nationalities though. Some we've never really known what nationality they are. Elliot Carver is not full English for instance.

#4 R

R

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 June 2001 - 03:48 PM

In the 19 films since 1962, Bond has only faced 3 non-white villiains: Dr. No (and he was half-German), Kananga and Sanchez.

...and they say Bond is politically incorrect...

#5 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 11:39 PM

no doubt the rules of this forum seriously frown upon abusing other members of the site. However, I feel obliged to point out that kkk4life is a first-class pr***. I would hope that the administrators of this site will take action and ensure this moron no longer graces this site. I find this an excellent forum and I wouldn't want to see it ruined by the xenophobic and racist views of kkk4life (and to think he has the cheek to claim to be a Bond fan).

#6 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 03:41 PM

I liked Bernie Casey in NSNA, but would have prefered they had made him a different character, so as not to upset continuity (not that there's ever been much continuity with Felix).
As for a black Bond ( which is floated in the press every so often with that other furphy, a female Bond), I cringe at the idea.
And I'd cringe just as much if someone cast a white actor as, say , John Shaft.
Not that either would ever happen.

#7 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 06:59 PM

I haven't got much to say on the topic, I don't mind coloured people in Bond, you will get coloured people in any movie but there should never be a black James Bond.

#8 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 01:13 PM

I think Bond fans remembered Felix, I doubt the general public remembered him anymore as a dark person though.

#9 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 06:14 PM

I suggest you make that your first and last post.

#10 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 11:37 AM

Let's see more black bond girls. Anything exotic suits the 007 formula. I should work one into one of my scenarios in future. I can think of a scene where 007 is pointing his gun at a KKK member and says, "You should learn brotherhood...without the HOOD".....I've pinched that gag...but it's appropriate.

#11 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 02:52 AM

I've changed his post and given him a warning. This service isn't provided for non-Bond racist views. Especially in the Bond 20 Section of all places!!! Never mind.

But does anyone want to turn this into a serious conversation?

What do you think of Bond paired up against the two dark girls. The girl in LALD (who's name I can't remember) Rose something??? Not sure. And of course May Day in AVTAK.??

#12 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 04:18 AM

I found a black Leiter in NSNA very strange. Made it a completely different character. Mr Big was a great character though!

#13 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 10:54 AM

Well if they pick Whitney Houston we'd sure see a dark person back in the series.

I quite like Colin Salmon... is that his name?? I always forget. He plays Robinson in TND and TWINE. Good character!

#14 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 06:29 PM

I don't know where I got the tit bit of information on the next femme fatale being called Divine Rapture in Bond 20 (think it was mi6.co.uk) but does anyone think that she sounds like she could be black? As soon as I heard the name I thought about an attractive version of May Day. It would be quite interesting for Bond to be put up against another May Day-esque character. Then again it's been done before hasn't it? Personally I think that this rumoured Divine Rapture character should be a smouldering red head... we haven't had a red head Bond girl since Helga Brandt in YOLT (have we? Tiffany Case was a bit ginger!).

If it is true that a part of Bond 20 is set in New york then surely Divine could be from the Bronx or something... i dunno.

But I do know that "kkk4life" should don his silly white hood and go back to burning crosses in the American deep south, leaving the Bond forums for people who actually care about talking about Bond instead of spouting uncalled for racist comments.

#15 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 18 August 2001 - 07:19 PM

That's probably why I presumed she was black. It doesn't actually say it anywhere in the script. Infact the character wasn't featured in the bits of the script I read. For a leaked script it is certainly retaining a large amount of information, which is good - speaking soley for myself... I wouldn't want to know EVERYTHING about Bond 20 so I can still have the element of surprise when I'm watching the film.

And good lord that Hugh Grant incident was embarrasing! Do we want a man like that being the sixth James Bond?!!!

#16 Jacques Nexus

Jacques Nexus

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 11:44 AM

Blue Eyes (02 Jun, 2001 05:18 a.m.):
I found a black Leiter in NSNA very strange. Made it a completely different character. Mr Big was a great character though!

I agree...It was Connery's idea to make him black so that Leiter would be a more memorable character. Let's face it, the general public never remember him. And yes Mr Big was good; the multi-identity was a great idea.

#17 The Mastermind III

The Mastermind III

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 06:02 PM

Beyonce Knowles, though a little younger than Brosnan would make a good Bond Girl.

#18 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 01 June 2001 - 09:22 AM

I'd like to see Bond romancing a leading lady of colour, if only to get right up KKK4life's nose!
Seriously, exotic beauties of any and all races and colours are part and parcel of Bond's world, as are allies and villains of similar variety. Long may it remain so!