11 replies to this topic

#1 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:04 PM

What would have happened if Tracy wasnt there in Switzerland to save Bond. I am sure that he would have escaiped so how, but wont return to Tracy. I dont think that Bond is loyal to the women that much, he really has feelings but he just gets on the other one easyly.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:10 PM

Not sure what he would've done, it's perfect that Tracy comes to the rescue.

In my opinion, Tracy skiing infront of Bond, as the camera flashes on her skates and moves up to her face is the classiest and most well done moment in any Bond film. It's perfect.

#3 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:55 PM

That scene is key because it solidifes Bond's feelings for her. With all the playing around he did up in Piz Gloria you couldn't help wondering if he was serious about Tracy, but her showing up clinched it.

And, yeah, I agree he would have found some way out. He's Bond. But the way it happened in OHMSS is what makes it a great film where Bond isn't such a superman.

#4 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:15 PM

Tracy certainly proved that she was not the type of girl that comes around every day when she managed to keep her cool driving the get away car.

Moreover, how many girls do you know of would simply "make do" in cold barn?

Bond and Tracy's relationship might have continued, but I doubt he would have proposed had she not saved him.

-- Xenobia

#5 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

In my opinion, Tracy skiing infront of Bond, as the camera flashes on her skates and moves up to her face is the classiest and most well done moment in any Bond film. It's perfect.

Well said, Devin. I totally agree.

#6 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:19 AM

I know the films are only loosely based on the novels, but look to the book for the alternate. Bond escapes, convinces Draco to help him "crash the party" at Piz Gloria, and in a coda, goes to marry Tracy.

The film just made it more interesting by having Tracy share some of Bond's adventures, and the audience liked her more as a result. We also get to witness the proposal which is an important scene for Bond. It's a definate improvement over the novel.

BTW I love the ice rink scene, too. Especially how the lyric in "Christmas Trees..." has just reached "most of all, he needs love." Sentimental, but a welcome romantic episode.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:53 AM

What would have happened if Tracy wasnt there in Switzerland to save Bond.

Well, for a start, they wouldn't have got away in her car, which for some reason had two sets of skis that they ended up using and getting caught in an avalanche. No skis, no avalanche.

I honestly didn't like the whole scene in which Bond is cowering looking scared, then have Tracy magically appear out of nowhere.

I'm still trying to figure out the two sets of skis. Do people really take two sets when off to the snowfields?

#8 Peter

Peter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 01:34 AM

Well you have a point there.

Although a stretch, I'll offer this to you:

Tracy has learned from her father that Bond is in Switz, and presumably the town. We know she is hoping to run into him. As she's the daughter of a rich gangster (or even just a member of the jet set), she accesorizes fabulously and brings skis for him , in hopes that they will o spend time together, the more easy she makes it.

Really, it's no more outlandish than her seeing Bond (who is attempting to hide) at night, on Christmas Eve, at a packed ice rink. Anyway, it's a great moment and we get to admire an awesome Bond girl, and witness more of their romance.

#9 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:53 AM

Well said, Devin. I totally agree.

It's truly the best. I even think the music is cued perfectly at that moment. The girl saves Bond, and the chases continues. You just know On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is full of style and class for moments like these. :)

#10 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:46 PM

Tracy was the right women to OO7! tough and beautifull , what more do we want? lolll :)

#11 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 09:56 PM

It's pretty much shot exactly as Fleming described it. Kind of tells you something about the value of vivid storytelling.

#12 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:41 PM

Quite so Donovan, something that they pulled off to perfection in the film. Peter Hunt was a genius for his ideas for On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The chase scene in the film reminds me of Thunderball's chase, but Tracy makes it all the more better, even though they both are fantastic.