2 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 11:13 AM

I was thinking about the Timothy Dalton era today. And while people may not reply to this thread, I had a thought that I just had to put on the forums.

The Dalton era moved away from the Chic (read modern, trendy, fashionable) image to the Classic (eternally good looking) image.

Moore's era was filled with wide lapels, safari suits and flaired trousers. All icons of what was fashionable in the 70's. Even as the films moved into the 80's we had the unforgiveable hair style of Tanya Roberts. For a prime example think of the press photo where Roberts is in white and holding a PPk. The amount of hair spray in that hair is unforgiveable.

But look at the Dalton Bonds. Still filmed in the 80's. Yet the hair styles and clothing were classic and fitted in to society, furthermore, they still would today.

In saying this, forget the bad hairstyle given to Dalton in Licence to Kill. That's bad, but still it would pass today. And yes, some people have critisized his jumper (Poor Tim). But face it, people do wear jumpers!

Even the cars changed. The Lotus Espirit, yes a nice car, but dated. It screams 70's and, perhaps 80's. On a road today it would obviously be a 70's car.

Yet the Aston Martin from The Living Daylights just surpasses that image. While it's obvious it's on older car it also has a classic feel to it. That's what Aston Martins managed to put into 90% of all their cars.

Maybe a completely boring post for most people, but it was something I just had to say.

#2 Victor Zokas

Victor Zokas

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 April 2002 - 08:00 PM

I though that Brosnan made the real step away from current fashions to classic suits that may not age so much when we look back on his movies in years hence.

Dalton in TLD does have that leather jacket which kind of borders between 80s and classic. But he wears in better than Moore in AVTAK. But I think even in 1989 his haircut was a bit dated with the long sideburns.

Other than those minor points I think TLD and LTK look pretty current.

#3 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 05:36 AM

Lazenby's orange turtleneck/brown jacket is the most outrageous suit Bond has ever worn as normal clothing. No wonder Draco only shouted: 'Basta! Basta!' when Bond was aiming the knife at him and didn't dive behind his desk--Draco couldn't believe a bloke in an orange turtleneck was going to knife him!

I kind of like safari suits, just think of all the gadgets that can fit in the multitude of pockets!