11 replies to this topic

#1 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:23 PM

Hi guys, I am wondering if any of you have read the collaborative full length novels over at AJB ?

The reason I ask, is that I know that when you so kindly reviewed my Monte Carlo Trilogy, you had to visit ajb to download it.

These novels I am especially proud of, and am just interested in what CBn members think of them.

There are two that have been available for quite some time Never Say Dead, and The Devil's Gambit, and only this week the third novel Death Without Notice was made available to download.

Now these novels are full length, and I realise that some people download them , and may never get to completely finishing them -but as you are avid readers here, I was hoping some of you may well have downloaded them already and may be able to comment on them. Obviously the new one I do not expect any comments on yet, as no doubt you will not have had chance to read it. :)

Anyway I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 04:32 PM

Well, as Tanger so far is doing a wonderful job with the FFRC, perhaps, we'll see another choice from AJB. So far I have to admit, your trilogy may have been my favorite.

I like that were reading Bond fan fiction from all the sites, including AJB and CBn.

#3 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 05:39 PM

Me too. I think it is great that the fan community can come together and discuss what they like about 007. In this case it is fanfiction. I look at the Bond community as being worldwide, and that there is no need for rivalry. So looking at fan fiction from different sites is a good way to bring the community together.

Plus finding those gems of fan fiction you wouldn't normally be aware of can give you your Bondian fixes between publications and films. :)

Anyway I look forward to hearing comments on those earlier novels at some time, as being one of the writing team members on those novels -the feedback is always helpful. :)

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 05:41 PM

Indeed, this club is fun in that it kind of just chooses a book from anywhere for you to read and then decide if you like it or not.

Personally, in the aspect of fan fiction, I like to read it from all over the place. For me, it's what the author does to create a successful story, not where it comes from. :)

#5 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:00 PM

For me, it's what the author does to create a successful story, not where it comes from. :)

I couldn't agree more. :) It makes me happy that you are like-minded Qwerty.

fanfiction is definitely about the author being able to recreate characters convincingly, and provide stories that are not only full of comfortable references, but original ideas. Good fanfiction is surely a great testimony to original authors, if people are moved enough to try and write like them. :)

Edited by scaramanga1, 28 February 2004 - 06:00 PM.

#6 clinkeroo

clinkeroo

Commander

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:11 PM

Hi Jason,

As you know, I've read the first two, and will probably make my way over in a few moments to download the third. I'll hold back a full review, just in case Tanger steers us in that direction on a future reading club adventure, but I will say they are of very good quality.

I have read some of the other collaborative efforts out there on the web, and aside from your stories, they are disasters. It is amazing to me that all of the authors, including yourself, manage to stay on the same page (literally) and maintain a cohesive plot thread. I've seen your plotting threads, but never ventured therein, and I can only assume you folks use a well-defined outline to pull off this trick. Still though, it doesn't account for how each individual writer can stay in character with Bond and the myriad of other personas floating around.

To those of you out there that haven't read them, don't be scared away by what you may think of as the natural drawbacks of such a format, they are smooth reading, and worth the effort.

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:33 PM

For me, it's what the author does to create a successful story, not where it comes from. :)

I couldn't agree more. :) It makes me happy that you are like-minded Qwerty.

fanfiction is definitely about the author being able to recreate characters convincingly, and provide stories that are not only full of comfortable references, but original ideas. Good fanfiction is surely a great testimony to original authors, if people are moved enough to try and write like them. :)

Indeed, not since I joined this club, I had always thought of reading a fan fic on one of these sites, but this club is goos because it allows everybody to review them together as we are now and point out little bits about them.

Fan fiction is good to read, point out good points and also areas of improvement, I've enjoyed doing it so far, as I'm sure you all have too. :)

#8 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 07:11 PM

Hi Jason,

As you know, I've read the first two, and will probably make my way over in a few moments to download the third. I'll hold back a full review, just in case Tanger steers us in that direction on a future reading club adventure, but I will say they are of very good quality.

I have read some of the other collaborative efforts out there on the web, and aside from your stories, they are disasters. It is amazing to me that all of the authors, including yourself, manage to stay on the same page (literally) and maintain a cohesive plot thread. I've seen your plotting threads, but never ventured therein, and I can only assume you folks use a well-defined outline to pull off this trick. Still though, it doesn't account for how each individual writer can stay in character with Bond and the myriad of other personas floating around.

To those of you out there that haven't read them, don't be scared away by what you may think of as the natural drawbacks of such a format, they are smooth reading, and worth the effort.

Thanks for those kind words C! I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet as each of those collaborative novels were real team efforts -but it was I who instigated the projects, and sometimes had to rally the troops as it were. The main thing about such projects is communication, and that is what we did. Via pm's and posts in the suggestions and criticism threads we made sure we all knew what we were doing. What is especially interesting is the way more able writers were able to help those who were keen but may have not been quite as able. Consequently it was a great learning experience for everyone involved. Understandably I am proud of each of those novels -but I also think that there is an evolution within them, as the team has grown in ability with each tale. :)

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 11:34 PM

Hi Jason.
On my very first visit to the AJB FanFiction section I downloaded every single piece that was there. I read the first chapters each of Never Say Dead and The Devil's Gambit and was hugely impressed. I have also been eagerly awaiting Death Without Notice and will be going to AJB right now to download it. I'm also looking forward to a few short stories that are in the works over there.

Rest assured, these will all be covered by the FFRC but feel free to read them on your own if you wish. You don't always have to read the stories during the set time.

I always try and keep up to date with what is going on in the FanFic world and with AJB and MI6 turning out short stories and full length novels on a regular basis, we are never in short supply. It's only a shame that CBn has a less active fan fic section.

Anyway, keep up the good work guys.

#10 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:21 AM

I have to say DWN seems to be getting the thumbs up from people who have read it so far. So really I can not help but shamesly promote it here. Please can those of you who have downloaded it, make some comment on your first impressions. I know I'm biased as part of the writing team -but this novel has to be the one collaborative novel I am proudest of. :)

for those of you that haven't taken a peek yet. goto:

http://www.ajb007.co...thoutnotice.php

Honestly, as I know there are fanfic enthusiasts here - I feel that it would be bad form if you were not aware of this thrilling and intrigueing tale. :)

Edited by scaramanga1, 06 March 2004 - 11:23 AM.

#11 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 12:35 AM

I have to say DWN seems  to be  getting  the  thumbs  up from people  who have  read  it  so far. So really  I can not  help but  shamesly  promote  it  here. Please can those  of  you  who have  downloaded  it, make  some  comment  on  your  first  impressions. I know  I'm biased  as  part  of  the  writing  team -but  this  novel has  to be  the  one  collaborative  novel I am proudest  of. :)

for  those  of  you  that haven't  taken a  peek yet. goto:

http://www.ajb007.co...thoutnotice.php

Honestly, as I know  there  are  fanfic  enthusiasts  here - I feel that it  would be  bad  form if  you  were  not  aware  of  this  thrilling  and  intrigueing  tale. :)

I'm more objective I was not involved with the writing of Death Without Notice :), though I am thoroughly enjoying it, highly original, with a dark, brutal edge. The authors have remarkably written a wonderfully intriguing story that makes the reader want to continue, never giving too much away. Scaramanga1 is right, it has received overwhelmingly positive feedback, as exemplified here. http://www.ajb007.co...php?topic=17876

I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in fan fiction as it is up there with the best of them, though it obviously will take a while to read being a full length novel.

Edited by Lazenby, 07 March 2004 - 12:36 AM.

#12 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:42 PM

I thought I'd just say a big thank you to those CBner's that have downloaded Death Without Notice over at AJB. It has now been downloaded 200 times -which I think is pretty damn good as it hasn't been available that long. :)

Hopefully comments on this novel will trickle through soon, as people read it.