8 replies to this topic

#1 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:06 PM

Those who are fans of my favourite Bond film, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I thought would appreciate this uncharacteristically positive review of the picture. It was a pleasant surprise to read this, particularly given the unjustified roasting that OHMSS, and its star, received, and continue to receive, from the broad mainstream of film critics. :) Stadon does however take an unfortunate pop at Roger Moore and Teri Hatcher, but aside from that it is good to see a critic holding George Lazenby's Bond in a higher regard than 'okay'. This the website where I found it: http://www.circus.ed...texts/1text.php Hopefully you haven't already read it.
=============================================
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

REVIEWED BY VINCE STADON

All the Time in the World

Whilst on leave, British agent James Bond prevents a young woman, Tracy Draco, from committing suicide. Her father is the head of a powerful crime syndicate who is impressed by Bond and wants him to protect his daughter by marrying her. In exchange he offers Bond information that will lead 007 to his arch enemy Ernst Blofeld. At first Bond agrees to the deal purely to fulfil his objective to kill Blofeld but later he grows to love Tracy but when the British learn that Blofeld plans to destroy mankind with a deadly virus, 007 is torn between his loyalty to his county and his intent to marry Tracy.

Life, as Gareth Southgate once said, is full of regrets and lost opportunities. Consider, for example, the career of 'swinging 60s' drummer Pete Best

#2 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:53 PM

Nice review, sums up how I feel about the film:

"Not for the first time, the critics and the movie-going audience, not to mention Lazenby’s trusted confidants, quite simply got it wrong. "

Amen.

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:12 PM

This is a really great review! Thanks so much for posting it.

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 02:18 PM

Quite nice to read a truly in depth review on one of my all time favorite movies, nice find there Lazenby! Excellent review!

#5 Lazenby880

Lazenby880

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 20 February 2004 - 05:58 PM

Thanks very much, I found the review interesting, particularly since it is so abnormal in its positivity towards this excellent movie and Lazenby himself.

Edited by Lazenby, 20 February 2004 - 05:59 PM.

#6 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 04:52 AM

As a devotee of all things OHMSS, reading that review brings out a feeling of triumph in me(!). So rarely do I find such sentiments expressed openly.

Thanks for posting that, Lazenby.

#7 Tracy Bond alive and well

Tracy Bond alive and well

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2004 - 06:11 PM

Funny, I

#8 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:24 AM

[quote name='Tracy Bond alive and well' date='24 February 2004 - 18:11'] Funny, I

#9 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:51 AM

OHMSS is a fabulous movie. To me, it is the last near perfect to perfect Bond film. Everything since has at least one major flaw. I still think it would have been very interesting to see Connery in this one. But, it probably would have been played too much like YOLT (somewhat comedic) and wouldn't have been nearly as good as the film we got.