41 replies to this topic

#31 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:33 PM

I have the DVD...special edition of the last release...but the reason is that I can't really remember some parts of the movie...

#32 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 01:30 PM

Ahhhh! I don't want to be a forum killer but the scene was pur crap. Connery in YOLT craked a safe with a device the size of a pen case. George needed a safe caracker the size of a luggage case for a 2 week vacation, altough a huge part of it was a copier, what a waste of space!

#33 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:02 PM

dajman_007, that was the point, Hunt wanted to show how Bond had to deal with this huge machine and not use something simple, as in You Only Live Twice.

#34 dajman_007

dajman_007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:50 AM

Thanx man, I guess I just didn't get the point. I thought you guys liked the safe-cracker. MY BAD!! :)

#35 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 02:21 AM

Not a problem dajman_007! :)

I just think Hunt wanted to show variety and Bond on his wits!

#36 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:14 AM

I wondered why he never used the smaller version of the safe-cracking machine seen in YOLT instead of the bulky version.

#37 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 02:26 AM

Methinks the portable copier was the real gadget of that scene. For the time, it was a truly progressive piece of machinery.

And the scene...equals Hitchcock for sure.

#38 RJJB

RJJB

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 475 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:08 AM

Needing help to crack the safe makes a lot more sense then whipping out a gadget as Bond did in YOLT. And why would Bond be carrying a safe cracking device in the first place? He had no idea he'd be taken to an office that evening.

#39 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:26 PM

Needing help to crack the safe makes a lot more sense then whipping out a gadget as Bond did in YOLT. And why would Bond be carrying a safe cracking device in the first place? He had no idea he'd be taken to an office that evening.

Just one of the 9,642 problems I have with YOLT. :) But it's a Bond film, so I don't put too much stock in it. I thought it would have been funny if he reached in his pocket and instead pulled out the rebreather or homer instead.

#40 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:47 PM

Needing help to crack the safe makes a lot more sense then whipping out a gadget as Bond did in YOLT.  And why would Bond  be carrying a safe cracking device in the first place? He had no idea he'd be taken to an office that evening.

Just one of the 9,642 problems I have with YOLT. :) But it's a Bond film, so I don't put too much stock in it. I thought it would have been funny if he reached in his pocket and instead pulled out the rebreather or homer instead.

I always find that funny, especially with the earlier films. Seems to always have the exact gadget when needed. :)

#41 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

Even though the scene plays out over 4 minutes, based on the clock in the square, it takes nearly 50 minutes to crack the safe and the tension with the music just makes it yet another of OHMSS' great moments.

Have you, or anyone else to that matter, ever noticed that when the clock in the square finally goes to the top of the hour, the big hand suddenly jolts into position, as it would if it was a wrist watch.

I am saying that the big hand is roughly 2 metres long, no doubt weighs a tonne, but this fella swings into position with an overly degree of efficiency.

Obviously this is due to a simple cut in the film but is required to make the statement that his time is up.

(I am also a fan of the velcro scene in TLD when Bond is readying to shoot Kara.....but I do watch the film for the film's sake as well....)

#42 Cesari

Cesari

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 11:47 AM

When I first saw OHMSS, we were int the early 70's. I was a teenager and I was amazed by that movie.

15 years later, I saw it as a VHS. Like in Australia, the safecraker scene was missing in the videotape in France at that moment.

We had to wait untill the new release of the Bond movies on VHS in the early 90's to have the full movie, with that scene.