11 replies to this topic

#1 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:19 PM

Have you noticed how unique the White Iris and Gunbarrel opening sequence for OHMSS is? And not just for the stylish manner in which James Bond crouches down on one knee to fire his gun and blow his target into oblivion?

After having the first James Bond actor firing away only to lose his balance for Thunderball and You Only Live Twice, we get the second bond actor firmly planting himself on terra firma to maintain absolute balance for the perfect, most accurate shot.

This time, however, two other things happen for the first AND, indeed, final time:

* The white iris stops in mid stride to reveal the presenters' names; and

* The blood washes down over James Bond only to erase him from the screen completely

What do you people think it all symbolised?

I have my own thoughts which I shall provide later.:)

#2 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Sensualist
Have you noticed how unique the White Iris and Gunbarrel opening sequence for OHMSS is? ...After having the first James Bond actor firing away only to lose his balance for Thunderball and You Only Live Twice, we get the second bond actor firmly planting himself on terra firma to maintain absolute balance for the perfect, most accurate shot.This time, however, two other things happen for the first AND, indeed, final time:* The white iris stops in mid stride to reveal the presenters' names; and* The blood washes down over James Bond only to erase him from the screen completely. What do you people think it all symbolised? I have my own thoughts which I shall provide later.:)

...I know this isn't the answer you are looking for. Lazenby's turn & fire is slick. But the gunbarrel I prefer for two reasons is Connery's from DAF. This, because he's firing in an authentic manner after WWII OSS commandos -- the only actor to do so -- and because Binder elected to animate the gunbarrel with a moving, spiraling effect.

OHMSS was not the first gunbarrel to feature the producer's names midstream -- it also occurs in one of the early ones done with Bob Simmons -- possibly Dr. No. I don't think there's any occult or hidden reason for the blood washing Bond away. Let me know your thoughts....

Blox

#3 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 12:47 AM

Originally posted by Blox
...the gunbarrel I prefer...is Connery's from DAF...because Binder elected to animate the gunbarrel with a moving, spiraling effect.  

OHMSS was not the first gunbarrel to feature the producer's names midstream...possibly Dr. No.

Blox

Well noted blox!:)

I, as well, like the glittering spiraling effect for Diamonds Are Forever. And John Barry's Gunbarrel music to accompany it elevates that opening to 'Top 5' status out of the 20.

In addition, I stand corrected on the point of the iris stopping at mid-stride. Dr. No does indeed feature it first. OHMSS is, I believe, the last time we see this.

Full marks to Blox!:)

#4 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 01:02 AM

I do like how it stops in the middle to reveal the producers, as it did in Dr. No, kind of a way to introduce the new character of James Bond. However, I strongly detest how the blood washes over Bond completely, just not my style. John Barry's music is top-notch also. :)

#5 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 01:15 AM

The blood washes down over James Bond only to erase him from the screen completely

What do you think of this:

Cubby and Harry knew it was to be troublesome George's only 007 movie. So, to underline their disapproval of his behaviour, they kindly requested Maurice to symbolically wipe away all memory of him!:)

:)

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 02:38 AM

That's an interesting take on that Sensualist. :)

#7 Blox

Blox

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:24 AM

Well noted blox!:)

Thank you for the kind words. As for the vanishing into the blood, wasn't George supposed to have done DAF? He refused the part as I recall...

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 04:30 AM

Yes, but he said (I think) while the film was in production that OHMSS would be his one and only Bond.

#9 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 11:41 PM

The writing was on the wall by the time they had wrapped up the shoot. From what has been written, George's "advisor(s)" told him the Bond thing was history and he was better off moving on. So, by the time OHMSS was released, the producers were making plans for a replacement.

(*Wonder what ever happened to said "advisor(s)"*):)

#10 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 20 December 2003 - 09:17 PM

"OHMSS" and "DAF" gunbarrels both share that unique lighting effect, except that for the former film, the effect moves with the motion of the gunbarrel sliding across the screen and in "DAF" this effect is a constant motion.

#11 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 09:14 PM

Said advisors came back to advise Timothy Dalton in 1994.

#12 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 December 2003 - 03:20 AM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Said advisors came back to advise Timothy Dalton in 1994.

I think it was a completely different ball game with Timothy.