7 replies to this topic

#1 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:22 PM

Who here has been to that wonderful little restaurant featured in On Her Majesty's Secret Service known as Piz Gloria? This has always been one of my favorite locations in the Bond series, and I hope to go there someday. So for those who have gone there, did it live up to your high standards?

#2 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 09:31 PM

Sadly, I've never been there, but It's on my list of 'someday to do things'. I've seen many pictures of it, and it still looks majestic as in the film. Undoubtedly, one of the best locations ever in a Bond film.

#3 Lancaster

Lancaster

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 11:45 AM

I wnet back in 1992 and although there is not much up there it is fantastic. Taking the cable car up and then just standing outside is amazing (I went in June and it was snowing). The walk up the stairs to the main restaurant is just like being in the film itself and they also had Blofeld's coat of arms on the wall.

All in all a must see.

#4 brendan007

brendan007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 11:46 AM

I would love to get there, but my chances of ever making it are probably the same as me becoming the next James Bond

#5 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 01:37 PM

I've been and you really do feel you are at the top of the world. The views are spectacular to say the least (I went in Summer). I seem to remember it was a lot smaller than it looks in the movie.

#6 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 02:53 AM

I also wish to go there someday; what is the mountain called?

Also, does anyone know what the layout of the clinic was in the book? Fleming talked of several famous people (including Ursula Andress) being there. Was he refering to a lower level open to the public, or was Blofeld less paranoid about visitors in the book?

#7 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 02:30 AM

I've been there... :) I went back in... oh who knows. I've been over to Switzerland so much (I'm 1/2 swiss and I've got fam over there). But I went when I didn't actually know how to ski and I would love to go again so that I can actually ski don't from Piz Gloria. I'm guessing I was there somewhere between 1994 and 1996. And yes, there was snow and it was wonderful inside and out. :)

I've also been to the Monastery Rocks from FYEO (I'm 1/2 Greek too :))

#8 trs007

trs007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2757 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 01:57 PM

I was there for 10 days in 1991 and it was excellent. It was a ski trip and the skiing on the Schilthorn was incredible. We are going back in 2005 for more skiing and "bonding".