21 replies to this topic

#1 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 11:12 PM

I remember reading in one of the books written about the Bond films, James Bond in the Cinema, how funny the aforementioned line was. I've seen the film a bunch of times but, that line has never made me laugh(though I laugh now-some kind of Pavlovian response to its supposed funnyness). Have any of you ever laughed/found it funny? Am I missing something. After all, it took me sometime to get "So long as the collar & cuffs match" line in DAF.

#2 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 10 September 2003 - 11:20 PM

I like it, it's a nicely ridiculous line that adds a touch of humor to a very tense chase scene.

#3 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 01:57 AM

The line is a variation of "We'll head him off at the pass" a supposedly oft used line in Westerns. I seem to remember that Harvey Korman as Hedley Lamarr shot Slim Pickens as Mr. Taggart for uttering "We'll head them off at the pass" in Blazing Saddles. Lamarr said while he shot him: "I hate that cliche." This is the only time that I can remember hearing it used in a film, but it is supposed be a cliche.

So I thought it was very funny when I first heard it because I was reminded of that scene in Blazing Saddles. Also I find it to be totally ridiculous that someone of the stature of Ernst Stavro Blofeld would have even participated in the ski chase. The Donald Plesance Blofeld would have monitored the chase from some control room in Piz Gloria.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 03:51 AM

Yeah, I always got a chuckle out of this line...
BTW, along with Steven Jay Rubin's "The James Bond Films: A Behind the Scenes History", the John Brosnan book "James Bond in the Cinema" both provide excellent coverage of the first two decades of Bond movies - to my mind they are the two best behind the scenes works on 007 out there!
Brosnan was a long time contributor to "Starburst" in the early to mid 1980s.

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:02 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
[John] Brosnan was a long time contributor to "Starburst" in the early to mid 1980s.

He's also written a few novels and stories too. Midas Deep was very good I thought, about deep sea adventure in the Dirk Pitt mold, but more of a scifi touch to it.

#6 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:10 AM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

He's also written a few novels and stories too. Midas Deep was very good I thought, about deep sea adventure in the Dirk Pitt mold, but more of a scifi touch to it.

Brosnan also wrote a few of the 'Dempsey and Makepiece' novelizations in the 1980s (under the pseudonym of Markham), but unfortunately he did not realize the show would become such a hit with the kids and his works featured a great deal of violence that forced the publisher to post warnings on the book covers that the novels were not fit for younger readers.

#7 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 11 September 2003 - 04:22 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

Brosnan also wrote a few of the 'Dempsey and Makepiece' novelizations in the 1980s (under the pseudonym of Markham),..

Makes for an interesting trivia question:

"Which two Bond authors used Markham as a pseudonym?"

Also:

"Linking by name only how do you get from Kingsley Amis to Pierce Brosnan?"

#8 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 06:04 AM

Boy, this thread went far afield very quickly.

#9 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 06:15 PM

Makes for an interesting trivia question:

"Which two Bond authors used Markham as a pseudonym?"

Also:

"Linking by name only how do you get from Kingsley Amis to Pierce Brosnan?"

Makes sense that if a Bond fan is going to write a book under a pseudonym they would use Markham...

#10 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 08:13 PM

So where is John Brosnan these days? He was still with Starburst until around 1989 or 1990. I'd like to read his take on the Brosnan era of Bond films as candidly as he talked about the Moore era. With the glut of other Bond-related books, why not just update James Bond in the Cinema?

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Turn
So where is John Brosnan these days? He was still with Starburst until around 1989 or 1990. I'd like to read his take on the Brosnan era of Bond films as candidly as he talked about the Moore era. With the glut of other Bond-related books, why not just update James Bond in the Cinema?

I think that would be a great idea...That book knocks the socks off any of the current 007 books...
As to his whereabouts, I really do not know, but I used to love reading his columns in "Starburst" in 1981, especially the one where he describes his alarm at discovering that Christopher Wood was so tall (and hoping he had not read Brosnan's disparaging comments about MR). Also learning that "James Bond in the Cinema" was Peter Hunts favorite book on the James Bond movies.

#12 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 06:15 AM

Maybe the moderator should retitle this thread "John Brosnan:Where is he now?", move it to the literary section, and delete the "precipice" posts.

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 07:10 AM

Do you wish to add any more to the subject than your initial post, TheSaint? :)

I think I may've read somewhere that it was decided to change the wording from "pass" to "precipice" just to be less cliched and a little comical. Peter Hunt was not adverse to allowing the odd bit of Mooresque humour to slip into On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 11:03 AM

Do you wish to add any more to the subject than your initial post, TheSaint? :)

I think I may've read somewhere that it was decided to change the wording from "pass" to "precipice" just to be less cliched and a little comical. Peter Hunt was not adverse to allowing the odd bit of Mooresque humour to slip into On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Or allowing himself into the movie a la the very Hitchcokian cameo by Hunt close to the beginning of OHMSS...It's funny but I had never noticed it until Hunt pointed himself out in the audio commentary.

#15 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 12:34 AM

"Mooresque humor"? Kind of hard to have such type of humor before Roger appears, unless you count DAF where "Mooresque humor" really started. Maybe we should refer to it as "Fat Conneryesque humor".

#16 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:05 AM

Originally posted by TheSaint
"Mooresque humor"? Kind of hard to have such type of humor before Roger appears, unless you count DAF where "Mooresque humor" really started. Maybe we should refer to it as "Fat Conneryesque humor".

LOL....Well to a certain extent except Moore had displayed some of that same humor in episodes of The Saint.

#17 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:04 AM

Would that make it Mankiewicz-esque humor because Tom Mankiewicz originated the humor in his script for Diamonds Are Forever?

#18 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:28 AM

I can live with Mankiewiczesque humor.

#19 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:40 PM

Originally posted by TheSaint
I can live with Mankiewiczesque humor.

But I bet you can't say it :)

#20 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:45 PM

It.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.:)

#21 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:46 PM

Lordy, I hope not

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:31 PM

That would make sense because Tom also wrote LALD.