255 replies to this topic

#241 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

The last episode was well worth watching - if only to marvel at how they shamelessly nicked the plot of Octopussy... :( Ah well, they say imitation is the best form of flattery...

As usual with Spooks, it was full of style, full of noise... and utterly bonkers.

#242 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

Series seven has quite possibly earned the accolade of "my favourite series of Spooks yet" (WOW etc.)

I don't know what they're doing, but it's never felt so fresh. I was worried that after series six (which I also thoroughly enjoyed) that the whole thing might fall apart (especially since series eight has only just been commissioned based on S7 viewing figures.)

I loved the plots, the team and all the twists. And what a SUPERB conclusion/cliffhanger. Long live Spooks!

Anyone else?

#243 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

Series seven has quite possibly earned the accolade of "my favourite series of Spooks yet" (WOW etc.)

I don't know what they're doing, but it's never felt so fresh. I was worried that after series six (which I also thoroughly enjoyed) that the whole thing might fall apart (especially since series eight has only just been commissioned based on S7 viewing figures.)

I loved the plots, the team and all the twists. And what a SUPERB conclusion/cliffhanger. Long live Spooks!

Anyone else?

Actually, while I agree S7 has been largely entertaining, I thought the cliffhanger this time round was a tad limp.

#244 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

Apologies for bringing on the surface a so old thread, but I need to make a question.

Are the UK DVDs subtitled? I mean the [SPOOKS] DVDs not the [MI-5] ones.
And I mean in any subtitles. Even in English.

I've been following the series for quite a while, but it's not broadcasted anymore so I'm seriously considering buying them on DVD.

#245 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

I'm fairly sure they have subtitles on them, but I'm not sure. I can have a check on my box-sets and let you know.

#246 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

I'm fairly sure they have subtitles on them, but I'm not sure. I can have a check on my box-sets and let you know.

Appreciated mate! I'm sitting on the edge of my chair!

#247 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:58 AM

Anybody else who can give me a hint? B)

#248 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

The last episode was well worth watching - if only to marvel at how they shamelessly nicked the plot of Octopussy... B) Ah well, they say imitation is the best form of flattery...

As usual with Spooks, it was full of style, full of noise... and utterly bonkers.

And then in series 8, they took an idea from the Craig era - the sinister shadowy syndicate with "people everywhere". For "Quantum" read "Nightingale", only moreso. I thought the idea they had for the finale was worthy of Bond - trying to trigger a nuclear war between India and Pakistan so that the bad guys could make a small fortune in the "reconstruction effort" afterwards.

If Spooks could take their cue from Bond, perhaps the traffic could go the other way for Bond 23?

#249 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

Anybody else who can give me a hint? B)

I know for a fact series 1 was not. Unsure of S2, but definately series 3 onwards.
They generally tell you on the back cover if they are or are not.

#250 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

Yep, Season 1 doesn't appear to have subtitles but S3 onwards do and the box suggests S2 does as well.

#251 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Thanks a lot for the help "Peaceful" and "terminus". I appreciate it!

#252 Peaceful

Peaceful

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

Does anyone know when series 8 is being screened in Australia? Or perhaps a dvd release date?

#253 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

I don't know which cable network is showing it here in the U.S.. I would own each of the seasons, if stores like Best Buy, Costco and Target have each of the seasons in stock. Also that it not cost so much, more then even older season box sets of Thw West Wing, Jag, NCIS, CSI, CSI: Miami and CSI: NY. I'm a little more in those that are more close to real world kind, then the super spy.

#254 captnash2

captnash2

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

more at-

http://www.darkhoriz...ts-a-u-s-remake

how's thsi gonna work?

the c.i.a aren't allowed to work domestically as m.i 5 are allowed to in 'spooks'.

#255 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I don't see anywhere it says that the 'spooks' will be with the CIA, captnash2 - but, then again, Covert Affairs shows domestic activity within America undertaken by the CIA. I'd assume if it was about Americans, it could also be about the NSA or the FBI or another agency presumably allowed to operate domestically.

#256 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

IF it the U.S. then they can use the CIA, FBI and NSA. But IF it set inside the U.S. about dirty spies, other country's spy operating in the U.S., arms dealer/drug dealers and terrorism then it has to be the FBI. The CIA has no law enforcement powers of any kind and can't operate in the U.S.. Spooks is another term for spies, so it could be CIA. IF it CIA, hopfully they get it right and do better then the Agency, a TV show that as good as spy movies like The Hunt For Red October, Clear And Present Danger, The Grid, The Company and Fail Safe. Hope they don't just talk about the Operation side of stuff. But also analyst stuff which also include Presidential Daily Brefing(only IF the Director and DDI ask the analyst to go along). Don't know about the NSA, what power they have and how they operate, only that some people they hire major in math.

They could always just stick with the British Security Service(the FBI's counterpart in Britian, AKA as MI-5 during WWII)or go with British Secret Intelligence Service(CIA's counterpart in Britian, AKA MI-6 during WWII time).

We'll just have to wait and see how they want it. Just hope it not a "fictitious" organization and by "fictitious" I mean probably true, but an organization that isn't acknowledged officially by the U.S. government. When it come to that, it always sounds like it could be going the super spy way like that upcoming show Nikita.