This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Fraulein - for all you Germans out there ;)

3 replies to this topic

#1 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 04:08 AM

This has been bugging me for a while, and I was wondering what "Fraulein" means. Bond calls Irma Bunt this while working as Sir Hillary Bray. I typed it into a translator and I got "womanly, wifely". First of all, I'm not even sure 'wifely' is a word, and second of all Irma Bunt is neither of those two, we can be sure of that. :) I thought maybe it could be a polite name of respect (e.g. ma'am). If anyone who could answer this it would be much appreciated.

#2 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 05:09 AM

Fraulein is the German equivalent of Miss and is used to politely address an unmarried woman, usually young and of marriageable age. Remember how Toht addressed Marion as Fraulein Ravenwood in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

If I remember the book On Her Majesty's Secret Service correctly, Blofeld and Bunt were lovers, a relationship that was only hinted at in the movie. Bunt was unmarried in the book.

Frau is the equivalent of Mrs. and is used to politely address a married or adult woman. But its use usually implies that the woman is married.

#3 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 05:11 AM

Originally posted by Triton
Remember how Toht addressed Marion as Fraulein Ravenwood in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Can't say that I do. :) But thanks for the info, Triton!

#4 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:10 AM

Fraulein is generally considered slightly insulting or at least demeaning today, sort of like some women in English-speaking areas dislike the label of "miss."

Just thought I'd throw that in for the hell of it.