Tracy's death

14 replies to this topic

#1 QnotR

QnotR

Cadet

• Crew
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:03 PM

I know it's just a movie but I can't help wondering that the wife of a world class agent like Bond would be killed simply by a drive-by shooting. So now I'm curious, did Tracy die the same way in Fleming's book?

#2 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:13 PM

Yes.

#3 David Somerset

David Somerset

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 06:26 AM

Even Bond isn't perfect. He and Tracy were hit in a moment as off- duty as you can get.

#4 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 06:17 AM

The same thing bothered me when I first watched that film. Bond was certainly more vulnerable in that role, which may have contributed to its rejection by fans. I imagine that Connery, had he been allowed to do OHMSS, would have made that scene more comfortable for fans.

But how would M put it? "Just frivolous hypothesising nonsense!"

#5 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:39 PM

QnotR, if you have not read the novel, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, go out and get it. It is an excellent tale of James Bond and always ranks among the top of most people. The book truly captivates you from start to finish and ends with "an emotionally charged finale!"

#6 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:10 PM

i just had a thought about this, how many when they read the book see connery as bond? since i know a lot wanted him to do ohmss and george did it how many prefer to see connery in the book?

#7 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:17 PM

This may sound odd, but when I read the Bond novels, (by any of the authors), I really don't see any of the actors who play the film's James Bond as the character. I just see a man who is like them, but isn't specifically one or the other. Does that happen to anyone else?

#8 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 05:21 PM

Originally posted by Qwerty
This may sound odd, but when I read the Bond novels, (by any of the authors), I really don't see any of the actors who play the film's James Bond as the character. I just see a man who is like them, but isn't specifically one or the other. Does that happen to anyone else?

when i read bensons books i saw brosnan...most of the time that is, there where a few times i saw my own bond

#9 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 08:05 PM

I don't think it's odd. I also don't really picture any of the actors when I read the novels. I do, however, picture some of the scenes in books how they would be translated into films.

#10 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 08:13 PM

I find that I picture the actor who played Bond in the film. Makes Live And Let Die and Moonraker REAL interesting reads. For Gardner, I usually have Dalton in mind and for Benson, Pierce.

#11 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 03:40 PM

Does anyone know John McClusky's comic strip version of Bond? I always picture him but as a real person rather than a drawing. I think that's probably as close to Fleming's Bond as you can visualise.

#12 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Genrewriter
I find that I picture the actor who played Bond in the film.  Makes Live And Let Die and Moonraker REAL interesting reads.  For Gardner, I usually have Dalton in mind and for Benson, Pierce.

i do the same. To me it makes it easier to picture whats going on in the book and makes it more injoyable to read.

#13 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 12:59 AM

Strangely enough I picture Roger Moore when I read any of the James Bond books as he appeared in The Saint.

#14 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:08 AM

Yes....I see a James Bond type actor...You know the description in the books doesn't really fit any of the Bond actors so its not really possible to picture any of the five while reading them!

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:10 AM

Originally posted by Tanger
Does anyone know John McClusky's comic strip version of Bond? I always picture him but as a real person rather than a drawing. I think that's probably as close to Fleming's Bond as you can visualise.

I have the McClusky comic strips from when they published as complete volumes...