15 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 06:03 AM

Which song do you all prefer--the Lulu song or the Alice Cooper song? I'll go w/ the Alice Cooper one...I wish that was used for the movie

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 04:36 AM

I haven't heard the Cooper version. Does it have the same lyrics?Or is it like Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang where the lyrics are the same, but the instruments are slightly different between the two versions?

#3 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 02 May 2002 - 06:18 AM

General Koskov (02 May, 2002 05:36 a.m.):
I haven't heard the Cooper version. Does it have the same lyrics?Or is it like Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang where the lyrics are the same, but the instruments are slightly different between the two versions?

It's a completely different song written by Cooper. You can hear a sound sample from Tower Records. It's song 11, disc 2.

The Lulu song is more suited to the movie as it's written by Barry and Black, but I like the Cooper version as a stand alone.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 06:07 PM

Never heard the Cooper version.

#5 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:19 PM

I recently heard the Cooper song for the first time. It is good fun if you don't know what to expect from it at all, especially when it comes to the "bondian" parts. Has some nice attempts in it. The arrangement sounds a bit incomplete, a bit of Barry work might have made more out of it. Could have been used in an Austin Powers movie :).

#6 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 04:19 AM

I never heard the cooper version either... I am going to "share" it right now :)

#7 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:21 AM

and i have never heard it, but i love lulu's song

#8 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:47 AM

I chuckled at Cooper's comments to the song in the album liner notes, especially the end bit..

I was reading James Bond novels even before the first film came out. Everyone in the band loved Bond movies and especially the John Barry soundtrack music. I had found out that the next Bond was going to be called "The Man With The Golden Gun." I figured, Perfect, I'll beat them to the punch and use that title for our own song, figuring that they would want to use it. When it came time for them to do the soundtrack, they used a song by Lulu. Lulu?!?

Fair enough too, I suppose. Lulu would not have been many people's choice in 1974 to do a Bond movie.

#9 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 10:09 AM

I've got to hunt this down. I actually quite like the LuLu one but I keep hearing how good the Cooper version is so I think I'll try and find it and give it a listen.

#10 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 10:11 AM

I havent heard the cooprt version either

#11 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 11:40 AM

Does it sound Bondian enough?

#12 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

It's a completely different song written by Cooper. You can hear a sound sample from Tower Records. It's song 11, disc 2.

The Lulu song is more suited to the movie as it's written by Barry and Black, but I like the Cooper version as a stand alone.

Have you guys played the sound bite via this link yet? It's only 30 secs long but it clearly indicates the style of the whole song. :)

#13 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, I just listened to it. Thank God, I brought along my OHMSS soundtrack to get the bad taste of the Alice Cooper thing out my mouth. Ugh, it was just bloody awful! I didn't even like Lulu's song all that much, but this would have been much worse. If this thing had actually followed Paul McCartney's song, Alice Cooper would have been treated like Madonna.

#14 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 01:03 PM

LOL.

A lot of web sites state that Cooper was actually asked to write a song for The Man with the Golden Gun, but the producers backed out after hearing it and went with Lulu instead. A couple of these sites also state that the producers wanted Lulu to sing like Shirley Bassey too.

I think Shirl herself would made a better fist of the song.

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
LOL.

A lot of web sites state that Cooper was actually asked to write a song for The Man with the Golden Gun, but the producers backed out after hearing it and went with Lulu instead. A couple of these sites also state that the producers wanted Lulu to sing like Shirley Bassey too.

I think Shirl herself would made a better fist of the song.

The Lulu song always seemed kinda blah

#16 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 02:27 PM

I love Lulu's song, and the use of it in the film is well done.

Cooper's song is great too - you can see where Secret Agent Man (TV) and James Bond Junior (TV Cartoon) got their ideas from for their themes. I can imagine it playing over the titles, very similar to Lulu's, upbeat, westerny, type of song.