#31 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 12:12 AM

Jaelle wrote:

The only way to do it successfully was what Roger did: an entirely different style and tone for Bond.

Well you know what they say about hindsight being 20/20. Director Guy Hamilton instructed scriptwriter Tom Mankiewicz to remove Sean Connery's signature lines from the Live and Let Die script and Guy Hamilton made certain that Roger Moore never said or did anything that would allow him to be compared to Sean Connery or the character The Saint. Recall how Roger Moore does not drink vodka martinis, smoke cigars instead of cigarettes, and never says "The name's Bond, James Bond" in Live and Let Die and The Man with the Golden Gun. I think that this gave Roger Moore breathing room and it allowed him to assume the mantle of the James Bond character.

I also think that film goers and the press had to get used to the concept that Sean Connery did not want to play James Bond ever again. So fans and the press had to put up with Roger Moore or give up on the idea of seeing new James Bond films.

#32 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 01:51 AM

Doesn't Moore say "Bond, James Bond" to Solitare in Harlem in LALD?

#33 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 26 August 2003 - 09:28 PM

Yes, he does, and he also says it in TMWTGG as well.

#34 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 28 August 2003 - 04:43 AM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Yes, he does, and he also says it in TMWTGG as well.

Yes you are right. My mistake about the "My name is Bond, James Bond" line. But Roger Moore's Bond doesn't smoke cigarettes or drink Vodka martinis in the first two films.

#35 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 12:57 AM

He doesnt smoke cigarettes but he smoked cigars in TMWGG.But your right about the drinking vodka martinis.He doesnt drink one untill xxx orders one for him in TSWLM.

#36 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 12:59 AM

But back to the subject. I think he had a fair chance in a way.....He had a decision to take the contract for a 7 movie deal or walk away and he decided to walk away. But could you picture lazenby in LALD ? i couldnt.

#37 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 01:03 AM

I also agree that Lazenby played the role better than Moore.

#38 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 01:51 AM

Originally posted by CommanderBond
I also agree that Lazenby played the role better than Moore.

Grrr...what a completely outrageous statement!!!!!!!

#39 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 01:57 AM

I agree, comparing those two is like comparing apples and oranges.

#40 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:03 AM

Thank you G.

#41 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 02:07 AM

Certainly, 001

#42 CommanderBond

CommanderBond

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3135 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 03:05 AM

just because moore did more bond movies doesnt mean hes better than lazenby. Moore was always joking around and rarely got serious. but dont get me wrong i like moore. but the majority of his movies are comedies,And Bond in the books was serious about the job that he had to do .

#43 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 27 September 2003 - 04:19 PM

Thats assuming that the Bond of the books is the way to play 007, Roger Moore (in a sense) played the Bond of the books but chose a different angle than Lazenby. In the novel "Goldfinger" it is revealed that Bond had killed, but didn't like doing it - In the LALD documentary (on the DVD) Moore reveals that he based his interpretation on that passage.

#44 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 03:56 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Thats assuming that the Bond of the books is the way to play 007, Roger Moore (in a sense) played the Bond of the books but chose a different angle than Lazenby. In the novel "Goldfinger" it is revealed that Bond had killed, but didn't like doing it - In the LALD documentary (on the DVD) Moore reveals that he based his interpretation on that passage.

Thinking about this, I really like the way it sounds. A lot of people (myself included) use humor as a defense mechanicsm to deal with the tougher things in life. So why not Bond? In a profession as dangerous as his is, he can take things with that approach while having to kill or see people killed and the fate of the world hanging in the balance all the time.