14 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 04:40 PM

Does anyone think they should have kept the Paris Police Scene in the movie AVTAK. I really like all the references to past Bond movies that appear in this short scene with Moore, Brown and the Policeman.

#2 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 04:49 PM

i for one think thet should have because it gives it , a nod to past bond films as you said and thats always good, and that scene is really funny, and without it to me seems to leave a gap between when bond jumps on the boat and the next scene where he is in the car talking to M

#3 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 04:51 PM

I thought it was funny as well. Where did you get that? From Russia...with love.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:09 PM

I have no idea why they cut it, it was a really funny scene. I liked the appearance of the acid pen from Octopussy.

#5 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:37 PM

The scene was a nicely done, I wonder if there are deleted scenes for the other Moore films, not too may appear on the DVD's.

But you know, already so many say how looooooog AVTAK is - they might have complained even more with this scene addition.

But one thing for sure, when I saw that scene for the first time, it made me wish how much it would be great to have more Moore Bond films, I couldn't believe that 17 years later I would see a fresh new Moore Bond scene.

#6 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 07:50 PM

I really like the scene and think it would have been a positive addition to AVTAK. It gives Moore the chance to display the raised eyebrow and sly look one more time and gave reference to Bond's past. As humor, it works a lot better than anything with the bumbling cop that comes later on. If they wanted to cut scenes, those would have been the ones.

#7 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 07:58 PM

I completely agree with your assessment Turn :)

#8 Daltonitus

Daltonitus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:39 PM

That scene is cool, like the desk draw scene in OHMSS.

Plus as has been said, it's better than the 'i'm dick tracy' cop scenes :)

#9 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:24 AM

less then a 1 minute scene... which was funny and filled in the nex scene.. YES!

I loved that scene!! Great how they showed old gadgets from the past

#10 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 09:52 AM

I am probably in the minority, as I am glad the scene was cut.

Although it is fun and light-hearted, the scene would have followed the Eiffel tower chase scene, which was primarily played for laughs and would in my opinion of been a bit much.

It would not have really developed the story in any way, and the French policeman is a bit stereotyped and OTT

#11 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Cabainus
I am probably in the minority, as I am glad the scene was cut.

Although it is fun and light-hearted, the scene would have followed the Eiffel tower chase scene, which was primarily played for laughs and would in my opinion of been a bit much.

It would not have really developed the story in any way, and the French policeman is a bit stereotyped and OTT

I disagree in that Bond movies set a trend where after a tense scene a throwaway line or humor made a nice transition to the next section. Not necessarily after every scene, but here it was appropriate.

The Eiffel Tower scene and car chase weren't exactly Bond shootin Prof. Dent in Dr. No. More like the scene where the hearse goes off the cliff and Bond quips "I think they were on their way to a funeral."

It was also an interesting scene in that you actually see Bond at a regular jail, not a villain's holding cell, where we've never seen him before, and his way of dealing with it coming out shows him unruffled despite the inconvenience. As I said earlier, Moore in perfect form.

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Turn

I disagree in that Bond movies set a trend where after a tense scene a throwaway line or humor made a nice transition to the next section. Not necessarily after every scene, but here it was appropriate.  

The Eiffel Tower scene and car chase weren't exactly Bond shootin Prof. Dent in Dr. No. More like the scene where the hearse goes off the cliff and Bond quips "I think they were on their way to a funeral."

It was also an interesting scene in that you actually see Bond at a regular jail, not a villain's holding cell, where we've never seen him before, and his way of dealing with it coming out shows him unruffled despite the inconvenience. As I said earlier, Moore in perfect form.

I felt that scene was made as a treat for Bond fans since you do get to see gadgets of the past. As a previous poster pointed out it has shades of the desk drawer scene in OHMSS.

#13 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:06 PM

I thought actually the scene came off like a 1960's bond charm.. type scene! nice and actually filled out the whole action scene nicely

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 07:02 AM

well it was a great scene that should have been left in, just proves the bond people do make mistakes in judgement......from time to time

#15 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 11:30 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
well it was a great scene that should have been left in, just proves the bond  people do make mistakes in judgement......from time to time

As already stated the scene works a lot better and is more entertaining than the Keystones cops stuff in AVTAK. It was written as a treat for Bond fans (with the references to previous movies) and would have been better left in.