28 replies to this topic

#1 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 08:57 PM

Taken this topic from another area - what Moore film contained the best car chase in your opinion?

I think that it could be a toss-up between the TMWTGG and FYEO. AVTAK is good too with the car getting smashed in half - that was a great scene.

I will go with FYEO only since it was soo complex with the rolling around the tight corners and hills. Also I just love how Moore gives the eye to the car full of villians as they drive beside them. It's as if he is saying, I have done this before - this is my world!

#2 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 09:15 PM

TSWLM's chase was pretty good, even if if it was much like GF's chase. I think the best was AVTAK's fire-engine chase, though. It was the best of the 'dumb cop involved' chases. TMWTGG had the best stunt.

#3 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 January 2003 - 09:28 PM

It would have to be TSWLM - great photography and sequences. All the other Moore car chases have been slightly comical

#4 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 11 January 2003 - 04:05 PM

Yeah not an AVTAK fanatic but the Paris and San Fran chases are very good.

TMWTGG is a highly routine chase, the corkscrew jump and JW improve it more than it might deserve.

FYEO's in fantastic, and I'd never though about Moore's look that way. You're so right. But but but as with the whole film Bill Conti almost ruins it with that awful score. Does however make the moment when the Bond theme starts playing so very savourable.

Yes, its TSWLM. I love helicopter scenes so I'm biassed but the shot where the car is going along and the copter comes up from below the edge above bond's car is the best conceived of the series. Love it. Greaaaattttttt music too, particularly at the start with the sidecar/missile.

#5 Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 05:50 PM

The chase in TSWLM is probably the slickest and coolest in terms of the way it was shot and what with the gadgets and all. It's probably my favorite. But I do like the one in TMWTGG simply for the "javelin jump," and the one in FYEO was decent too. But I think TSWLM wins.

#6 Spectre001

Spectre001

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 January 2003 - 10:34 PM

I prefer the chase in TSWLM also.

#7 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 02:31 PM

TSWLM car chase could very well be the best in the series, 3 different attacks and I agree that the music during the scene is fantastic - the music played is entitled BOND 77.

#8 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 13 January 2003 - 08:29 PM

Of all the car chases in the Bond movies, my favorite is TSWLM. My least favorite is TMWTGG.

#9 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 05:30 AM

Originally posted by General Koskov
I think the best was AVTAK's fire-engine chase, though.  It was the best of the 'dumb cop involved' chases.

Here, here. Anyone else a fan of this sequence?

#10 Indiana

Indiana

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 06:09 AM

Personally, I liked For Your Eyes Only. The cuts and curves made it so fun to watch.

I agree that the chase from The Man With The Golden Gun was kind of weak... but it did have the "corkscrew" jump, which was pretty cool.

Indiana

#11 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 06:14 AM

I kind of like TMWTGG chase, through the streets with JW along, good locales, but it's all undermined by a horrible car and the lamest sound effect during the corkscrew....AVTAK's Paris chase is ok, except you clearly see the stuntman when the car breaks in half and the Fire Engine chase is just lame, I don't like the vehicle used and they really didn't use the hills of San Fransisco to good effect, not like a Steve McQueen film would have....

#12 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 02:57 PM

I liked the "dumb cop" chase of AVTAK. The cop was less annoying than JW.

#13 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 07:19 PM

I was having a mild argument with someone the other day about suspense in Bond movies - to this end my favourite car chase, although not in the slightest bit "inventive" has to be the segment in Octopussy when he is charging off to the circus to diffuse the bomb.

Very fast, very urgent, no silly oil drums exploding and full of suspense.

Otherwise, I enjoyed all of the Moore chases apart from the SF fire truck chase.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:02 PM

I really love the car chase on the Autobahn in OCTOPUSSY with Bond in the stolen Alfa. Great chase. Nothing jokey or high concept, just fast and furious and genuinely suspenseful.

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:04 PM

Ah, sorry Simon, I didn't mean to write the exact same thing as you. I didn't see your post when I looked at the thread. :) Glad we agree on this. It's a great chase and one a lot of fans tend to forget.

#16 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 January 2003 - 11:08 PM

I would have to place my vote on the side of FYEO as it showed that even with one of the worst cars around (no offence to Citroen and their CV2), Bond still manages to find a way to succeed, even after being up turned and back-to-front, he still manages to com up tops!

#17 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 02:21 AM

Definately the car chase in TSWLM. It's got a quality to it that is one of the many reasons why TSWLM seems so much better when compared to its several predecessors. It starts well and ends with one of the best moments of the series, then goes into the short underwater chase. Plus, the car looks good and is used to its full advantage (unlike some where none of the gadgets are used or it's just some bland car that Bond happened to find lying around). To me, it's second only to the Goldfinger chase. (And followed by the TLD chase.)

#18 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 06:54 AM

The FYEO one, alsolutely tops. Love the TSWLM one too, but I always found this one more interesting. I like how the Lotus blows up at the start, and then it just gets betetr from there with all the hills and the contruy side and whatnot. And it had innocent bystanders, those people picking whatever. IMO a great chase scene (not just a car chase) has to have either innocent bystanders, or take place or a wide area, as opposed to running around in an empty caviar factory. :)

Actually, never noticec it before, but FYEO is a good film in terms of the action scenes. The ski chase is another masterpiece (although most like OHMSS better, fair enough), Bond and Melinda being dragged along the coral reef was a great scene, and even though it doesn't really count, I liked the disposing of "Blofeld" too. :)

#19 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 19 January 2003 - 06:36 PM

Originally posted by freemo
, never noticec it before, but FYEO is a good film in terms of the action scenes. The ski chase is another masterpiece (although most like OHMSS better, fair enough

I really like the ski-chase in FYEO. I actually prefer this one to the one in OHMSS (although that too was great). I think the ski-chase scene in FYEO is one of the moments were Conti actually pulls it off, I love all that disco synth stuff that he does in that sequence.

#20 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:00 AM

I kinda like the Bus Chase in LALD

#21 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 07:35 AM

I'll go for the FYEO car chase. Exciting, different ("I trust you have a car?") and I even like Bill Conti's score.

#22 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 06:53 PM

I love the part of that car chase scene ( in 4 ur eyes) when Roger.. nods to the guys that want to kill him/catch him.. and he gives a little nod..

that is the funniest part ever!! I remember the whole theater just roaring with laughter :)

#23 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:22 PM

mattbowyer, you're absolutely right about TSWLM. The helicopter coming up alongside the Lotus was perfect timing...and the seductive wink from Naomi did it for me: This car chase is COOL!

DLibrasnow, I listen to "Bond 77" on my CD at least three times a week on my commute! Don't forget the song also includes notes from the pre-title ski chase...

The ski chase in FYEO was also great...the part on the bobsled track was well done. Too bad Robin Leach stole Conti's "Runaway" for his show ("Runaway with the Rich and Famous") and ruined it for me.

#24 jojo40

jojo40

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 12:44 AM

Bond77 - a nice funky rhythm, I also like how the helicopter comes alongside the speeding Lotus. I still want the car!

#25 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 01:38 AM

Hands down TSWLM. Roger's head nod/wink to Naomi is priceless!

~LTK~

#26 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 06:49 AM

yes you can't beat roger's charm:)

I also like the chase in octopussy when they were on the taxi :)

#27 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:32 PM

My favorite chase would have to be in FYEO. I think I stand alone when I say that I love Bill Conti's score, especially in that scene and the Ski Chase.

#28 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 10:51 PM

The Man With The Golden Gun is about the best overall . Plus it's the only one with John Barry's version of the James Bond Theme included .

#29 St.John Smythe

St.John Smythe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:27 AM

My favorite is in FYEO. Seeing Bond drive Melina's junky yellow car is funny but it is also a great chase scene and I also love Bill Conti's score.