5 replies to this topic

#1 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I got the idea for this topic after watching a video on gamespot the other day. It talked about how Resident Evil 4 is an absolute classic, but has led to a very bad trend. So I thought what are the games that you think are great and/or classics that have a bad legacy instead of a great one. Here's 2 that I've come up with:

1. Resident Evil 4: The game transformed the RE series and gave it a much needed facelift (at the time). It restored the scares that were missed in Code Veronica and increased the tension by making the scenery much creepier and increasing the pace of the action. However, it has led to pretty much the death of the survival horror genre. The scares are gone and it is just about action now as evidenced by the Dead Space games and Resident Evil 5 and the even worse Resident Evil 6.

2. Call of Duty: Another great game, that made WW2 games feel much more like actual WW2 battles by making you part of a squadron instead of a one man army. However, it's crimes are too numerous too mention, not the least of which led to every FPS being a CoD clone and the death of innovation.

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

1. Resident Evil 4: The game transformed the RE series and gave it a much needed facelift (at the time). It restored the scares that were missed in Code Veronica and increased the tension by making the scenery much creepier and increasing the pace of the action. However, it has led to pretty much the death of the survival horror genre. The scares are gone and it is just about action now as evidenced by the Dead Space games and Resident Evil 5 and the even worse Resident Evil 6.

I actually liked Resident Evil: Code Veronica quite a bit, but I do agree that it was time for an update to the series following that game.  That horrible, horrible control scheme that they went with for the first three entires plus Code Veronica was just something that needed to be changed.  I kind of wish that they had just changed the control scheme and kept everything else a bit more similar to how the series had been up to that point.  Resident Evil 4 was a good game, but I just couldn't get into Resident Evil 5 and it seems that the series has continued to slip with Resident Evil 6 from what I've heard.

#3 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I think Madden games could also qualify on the list. I mean nothing changes and it's practically the same game..

#4 col_007

col_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I think Madden games could also qualify on the list. I mean nothing changes and it's practically the same game..

Most sports games are like that

#5 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

The survival horror genre has always been pretty thin. Resident Evil 5 is good, but to much Action-y. RE6 is actually great despite all the critics and reviewers moaning and bitching about it.

The FPS genre has been modeling after games like CoD, because it's easier with gamers believe it or not. But not every FPS game is exactly like CoD and Battlefield (Far Cry franchise).

Oh and Not just the Madden NFL games, ALL SPORTS GAMES qualify, each year a new game is released with very little add-ons. Basically paying $60.00 for an expansion. The last UFC Game was the first game in the series in over two years, but introduced so many new things, unlike the NBA,MLB,NFL games and whatnot.

#6 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

The survival horror genre has always been pretty thin. Resident Evil 5 is good, but to much Action-y. RE6 is actually great despite all the critics and reviewers moaning and bitching about it.

The FPS genre has been modeling after games like CoD, because it's easier with gamers believe it or not. But not every FPS game is exactly like CoD and Battlefield (Far Cry franchise).

Oh and Not just the Madden NFL games, ALL SPORTS GAMES qualify, each year a new game is released with very little add-ons. Basically paying $60.00 for an expansion. The last UFC Game was the first game in the series in over two years, but introduced so many new things, unlike the NBA,MLB,NFL games and whatnot.

Hence why I don't buy sports games. The worst thing that ever happened to virtual football was EA getting the exclusivity deal with EA.