79 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

I can officially say that before SKYFALL, I have never cried at a James Bond film. Ever. I've loved them with all my heart, but never have I been so emotionally moved by one. Untill now.

Spoiler

#2 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

I actually got a bit misty and sentimental in the final two office scenes. They were perfectly pitched.

The chapel scene had several people in the cinema very tearful.

The DB5 scene you mention also had a similar effect. Almost anger with me actually, as stupid as that sounds. That was the point that elevated Silva to super-villainy, and Bond's expression suggested he obviously felt the same!

#3 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Feel really bad for my lack of emotion, though I think the fact that I saw it coming hardened me up a bit!

I actually got a bit misty and sentimental in the final two office scenes. They were perfectly pitched.

They were both brilliant scenes for sure.

#4 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

The scene with Bond and M was very emotional.

#5 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

The DB5 scene you mention also had a similar effect. Almost anger with me actually, as stupid as that sounds. That was the point that elevated Silva to super-villainy, and Bond's expression suggested he obviously felt the same!

It angered me as well. That and what the DB5 stands for. Although, I have to say that the sudden burst of the Bond theme, after Bond see's what Silva has just done, was a total 'HELL YEAH' moment. It's like the DB5's demise actually spurred him on to blow up the house.

Edited by DamnCoffee, 26 October 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#6 PeteNeon

PeteNeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

If I came on the forums and saw that thread title, I'd know what you were talking about instantly. Can't you change it to something vaguer for those who haven't seen it?

#7 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

If I came on the forums and saw that thread title, I'd know what you were talking about instantly. Can't you change it to something vaguer for those who haven't seen it?

Good call. Suggested new thread title: "Emotions" or something like that?

#8 PeteNeon

PeteNeon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Good call. Suggested new thread title: "Emotions" or something like that?

Yeah. Even "Were you moved?" with "Major Spoilers" after it is still quite black and white.

In answer to your question, I was moved, my eyes were watering. It was a bit of an anticlimax though, you could tell from a mile off. I wouldn't have minded a last minute twist.

Edited by PeteNeon, 26 October 2012 - 11:15 PM.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

I could look at the thread title and think an usher asked him to move. And he was curious if the same thing happened to others.

#10 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:22 PM

I could look at the thread title and think an usher asked him to move. And he was curious if the same thing happened to others.

Oddly, I actually was moved by an usher. First time that's ever happened!

#11 Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:11 AM

I was moved, yes, but I was very moved too by Vesper's death in CR

#12 Levi David Tinker

Levi David Tinker

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

I can officially say that before SKYFALL, I have never cried at a James Bond film. Ever. I've loved them with all my heart, but never have I been so emotionally moved by one. Untill now.

Spoiler

really even sadder than the end of OHMSS? to me thats the most heartbreaking moment in a Bond film.

#13 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

The chapel scene had several people in the cinema very tearful.

Re the DB5 - if looks could kill at that point, then Silva would have been dead and buried there and then.

#14 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Yes, I was moved, but the tears (of joy) came during the office scene.

#15 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

I must say the scene that moved me most was Silva talking to M and revealing himself.

#16 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Very moved. I was close to tears when she died in his arms. It felt like losing family, a little.

Probably the saddest Bond movie moment since the end of OHMSS. That's some achievement.

#17 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Just seen it again. I just had do. I cried a lot more, too.
  • The DB5 reveal, and the Bond theme just made me SO proud to be a Bond fan.
  • I was on and off during the climax. Just seeing M fire the gun, then get hit. (MIssed it the first time). She's such a proud woman, which makes it all the more tragic.
  • The office scene at the end just made me cry with joy. Beautiful. That Bond theme build up was brilliant.

#18 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yes. The chapel scene is operatic emotionally. This is the backbone of Skyfall - loved it, I was deeply moved

#19 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

I must be the only one here, but I was much annoyed with Bond's reaction when the DB5 was destroyed.
Dry wit when a woman he's just slept with has her head blown away, and flipping his lid when a car is destroyed (an already bullet-ridden wreck, to top it all off)? I was not amused.

#20 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I must be the only one here, but I was much annoyed with Bond's reaction when the DB5 was destroyed.

Really!? I loved his reaction. It was as if seeing his car destroyed, the last thing he could call his own, made him snap. The Bond theme comes in, and it was as if Bond was like "Right, to hell with this s***. " It completely sent him over the edge, which made him want to go all the way and blow up the house.

Also, side note. That shot of Bond walking away from the explosion with the gas canisters and not flinching. Bloody brilliant.

#21 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Really!?

Yeah. It's just a bloody car! Maybe that's because I don't care much about cars. On the other hand, I though that Bond was remarkably unshaken at the news that his flat had been sold when he was presumed dead. "Oh? OK, then, I'll find a hotel". A flat, especially one that you've bought and not just rented, seems to me something more personal than a car, don't you think?

But I told you, I knew I'd probably be the only one feeling so... :)

#22 Tony_OO_Black

Tony_OO_Black

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Oh his expression when they destroyed the DB5 was priceless. I cheered at it, because I knew he was about to bring the fury.

And Bond is exactly the kind of guy to get more angry at his car being destroyed than, say, Severine getting a bullet in the head.

#23 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

And Bond is exactly the kind of guy to get more angry at his car being destroyed than, say, Severine getting a bullet in the head.

Exactly. Bond knows that in the world in which he lives even innocent flowers are mercilessly cut down. It is ugly and reprehensible but also the name of the game.

#24 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

It's worth being reminded that Bond is not a saint, especially when it comes to women. CR made this point pretty explicitly.

#25 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

According to Fleming he is not even a hero but a blunt instrument.

Edited by AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän, 27 October 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#26 bonds_walther

bonds_walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Re: the DB5 scene, it felt very symbolic to me. It almost screamed that we're entering a new era for Bond. In with the new and out with the old. All very much in-line with the film's ending.

#27 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Somehow I have a gut feeling that was not the last time we saw DB5... :)

#28 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

We'll just agree to disagree regarding our idea of Bond.

#29 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Of course, the cinematic Bond has always been more gallant and heroic than the literary version. Craig-Bond is the closest they've come to presenting him as truly messed up and morally dubious, rather than just "naughty".

#30 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

That is not to say that Bond enjoys killing or is totally devoid of empathy.