Leon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

Rory Kinnear interview:

http://www.cultbox.c...irror-interview

Q: You’re currently filming the new James Bond film, Skyfall, returning as M's Chief of Staff, Bill Tanner. How’s that going so far?

A: "Great, we’ve just been at Pinewood and around Waterloo and Spitalfields doing some scenes with myself and Daniel [Craig] and Judi [Dench]. I go through to the beginning of February filming and I think they’re on until about April or May."

Q: That sounds like a fairly long shoot for you, does this mean that we see a bit more of Tanner this time around?

A: "Yes, Tanner gets a bit more facetime this time, [the part] is a bit more beefed-up. He’s basically performing the same role but there’s a bit more of him."

Q: There’s a lot of excitement surrounding the film with the 50th anniversary coming up; is that excitement present on set as well?

A: "I think everyone’s generally just really excited about the script and how good it is - and we’ve got Sam [Mendes] directing.

"Obviously this is now my second one so I know how Daniel and Judi work. We all seem to get on very well so it feels like I’m becoming slightly more part of the family."

Q: In the books, Tanner is Bond’s best friend – would you like to see that dynamic develop onscreen?

A: "I don’t know, the Tanner of Quantum of Solace wasn’t really the Tanner of the books, so I guess it’s a new kind of role. He’s not the same age as Bond, as I think he is in the books, but I think in this film their relationship does develop, yes."

#2 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

His role in QOS was so minor that the smallest addition could be spun as a "development". Maybe it'll be something on the order of Tanner in GoldenEye: just one scene, but prominent in it.

#3 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

His role in QOS was so minor that the smallest addition could be spun as a "development". Maybe it'll be something on the order of Tanner in GoldenEye: just one scene, but prominent in it.

It seems he’s involved for quite a bit of the shoot (November to February), so it’s going to be a bit more than “ just one scene”, I would have thought.

#4 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

Having rewatched QUANTUM OF SOLACE recently, I was struck by the fact that Tanner actually popped up in more scenes than I remembered. Admittedly, his role was still minor, but I think it wouldn't be an awkward progression for him to evolve into even more screentime in SKYFALL. In fact, if M has a sizeable role as suspected, I guess it's logical that Tanner will also feature significantly. Generally pleased with Rory Kinnear's comments though; enthusiasm for SKYFALL is continuing to grow.

#5 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

I suppose the photos in the street scene suggest that Tanner will be at M's side in a crisis situation. I would much rather have Tanner presented as M's main assistant, rather than one of a dozen people milling around officiously at MI6 headquarters.

#6 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

Those were certainly some safe comments by Mr. Kinnear.