32 replies to this topic

#1 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:28 AM

If a reputation is under a certain number, are you banned from the site? Now, I know I'm going to get downgraded just by asking this question, but let's say you are over "-200" does that mean you can no longer post on here? I'm sure there are those people that just "+" or "-" what someone says merely because they don't like them or what they have said. I admit, I have done that in the past. However, is there a limit to how much or how less you can get? Thanks.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

As far as I can make out, there's no lower limit beyond which it becomes impossible to submit posts; not that I am encouraging anyone to try.

As the reputation system is both arbitrary and anonymous, it would be unfair to have it as the sole deciding factor in whether someone needs to be silenced or removed, given that, as you unwisely admit, it is capable of being used whimsically; at best it would be corroborative of more objectively ascertainable transgressions of the forum policy and rules. Accordingly, unwise to convict on it alone as it is potentially more unreliable than other available evidence.

If it does happen that a number is reached - say -1000 or whatever - I don't know, it may shut someone out. But for someone to have reached -n, it's probably unlikely that the score would be entirely without merit.

#3 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:47 AM

The lowest I've ever seen was -130-something, achieved by Quantumofsolace007 before his reputation was re-set.

#4 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

As far as I can make out, there's no lower limit beyond which it becomes impossible to submit posts; not that I am encouraging anyone to try.

As the reputation system is both arbitrary and anonymous, it would be unfair to have it as the sole deciding factor in whether someone needs to be silenced or removed, given that, as you unwisely admit, it is capable of being used whimsically; at best it would be corroborative of more objectively ascertainable transgressions of the forum policy and rules. Accordingly, unwise to convict on it alone as it is potentially more unreliable than other available evidence.

If it does happen that a number is reached - say -1000 or whatever - I don't know, it may shut someone out. But for someone to have reached -n, it's probably unlikely that the score would be entirely without merit.

Thanks for the answer, dude. :) Very helpful.

#5 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

...."dude"...

...hmm.

#6 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

I think sone controls should be done with this system. Why someone who said "007 Nightfire is a beautiful game" got a -1 score? Why someone who says "Campbell is better than Forster" also gets a -1?
I think someone whose behaviour is agressive should have -1,-2, etc scores but, rating someone down because he thinks different of you, I think it's unfair.

Just my humble toughts.

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

I think sone controls should be done with this system. Why someone who said "007 Nightfire is a beautiful game" got a -1 score? Why someone who says "Campbell is better than Forster" also gets a -1?
I think someone whose behaviour is agressive should have -1,-2, etc scores but, rating someone down because he thinks different of you, I think it's unfair.

Just my humble toughts.

Hence the reason why it's, at best, incidental. I'd ignore it, even if it's hurtful. People who get themselves banned get themselves banned for other reasons - as stated, the very most this could be is indicative, not conclusive.

#8 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

...."dude"...

...hmm.

Thanks, Jim. Much appreciated! :)

#9 Lt. Garfield

Lt. Garfield

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

still, I try to be away from that -200 idea :D

#10 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

What worries me most, is that one day someone couldget a -87 reputation just because 87 people don't like his face :S

#11 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

...."dude"...

...hmm.

The word itself has been proven to make sentences 83% dumber. Example: "Dude, these are isotopes".

#12 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

What worries me most, is that one day someone could get a -87 reputation just because 87 people don't like his face :S

Makes sense. Like, if people just don't like one's topics or posts for no other reason than them just not liking that individual regardless of what he/she says, it would suck. But, as long as it doesn't make a difference to wither your account is disabled or not, then I guess it's not a problem. I mean, you can't control what people give you.

#13 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

Ahh the internet. I have always thought about putting a paper bag over my head then running around outside and sticking +/- on everyone's chests to just show how internet and real life have no correlation. But alas, I do not think that would be in my best interests...

...I do wonder if that would have the reverse effect of this board and actually get me banned from real life...

...anyways, back on topic, the only way you can really control what people score you is if you make a valid point or not, or that's the vibe I get here. A statement like 'Campbell is better than Forster' could get a -1 because it lacks any support or substance. I would not say it is wasting our time but it adds little to a discussion. I think if anything the reputation system forces one to at least try to write a well written coherent, intellectual, thoughtful statement before posting. Sure, it's cool that someone may think that 'Campbell is better than Forster' but I know for at least myself I would like to be told more and hear some opinions.

#14 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

What worries me most, is that one day someone could get a -87 reputation just because 87 people don't like his face :S

Makes sense. Like, if people just don't like one's topics or posts for no other reason than them just not liking that individual regardless of what he/she says, it would suck. But, as long as it doesn't make a difference to wither your account is disabled or not, then I guess it's not a problem. I mean, you can't control what people give you.

It looks like your reputation is in decent shape, iBond. No problepeño.

#15 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 05:05 AM

how about having the reputation not shown on the profile just on what you posted? The post is the one that matter not the one in the profile. I suggest that it should be abolish.

#16 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

I'm sorry, but the reputation system is getting silly. I lost a whole heap of reputation simply because I offered the opinion that OHMSS is not a good film. But because I dared speak out against it, everyone started taking points off me. I don't care too much about that, but the episode makes it feel like people aren't welcome if they don't agree with the wider forum.

#17 Capsule in Space

Capsule in Space

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

...but the episode makes it feel like people aren't welcome if they don't agree with the wider forum.

Now you are starting to understand how CommnanderBond.net works.

#18 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

I'm sorry, but the reputation system is getting silly. I lost a whole heap of reputation simply because I offered the opinion that OHMSS is not a good film. But because I dared speak out against it, everyone started taking points off me. I don't care too much about that, but the episode makes it feel like people aren't welcome if they don't agree with the wider forum.

You may find it's not so much what you said as how you said it. And I know I keep saying it but seriously, who really cares about the reputation system? Worrying about one's imagined popularity or otherwise on a faceless Bond fan forum is a bit, well, desperate, no?

#19 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

...but the episode makes it feel like people aren't welcome if they don't agree with the wider forum.

Now you are starting to understand how CommnanderBond.net works.

It seems that you yourself do not know how CommanderBond.net works.

#20 George88

George88

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:51 PM

You post here under the username "Captain Tightpants". Assuming that isn't your real name, what sort of reputation is there that's not already undermined by that?

#21 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

Google it and find out.

You may find it's not so much what you said as how you said it.

I said it the same way as I say everything.

And I know I keep saying it but seriously, who really cares about the reputation system? Worrying about one's imagined popularity or otherwise on a faceless Bond fan forum is a bit, well, desperate, no?

My issue is not my "imagined populatirty". My issue is the way people use it to make you feel unwelcome just because you think differently to them. I used to be a member of the Bored of Studies forums which was created to help students in their final years of high school. I usually lurked in the university subforums, helping people out with their enquiries about university life. Then reputation was introduced and the trolls took over. It's now a cesspool of the internet, like 4chan (but at least on 4chan you can post what you want - on BOS, if you don't agree with the popular opinion, they go out of their way to harass and intimidate).

So yeah, I see CBn as hovering dangerously close to the slippery slope that tore another forum wide open.

#22 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

Google it and find out.

Yeah, it's the name of the protagonist from SERENITY, but why?

It's fair to assume a more neurotic, uptight personality might choose a name befitting that.

#23 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:42 AM

So yeah, I see CBn as hovering dangerously close to the slippery slope that tore another forum wide open.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

As my fellow administrators have tried to point out and I will reiterate: the reputation system is meaningless to us.

It came as part of the software upgrade for the forums. It was not requested. We don't look at it. We don't care about the number.

It only has meaning if you give it meaning.

We are here to discuss James Bond because we love the films and the character. Clicking on the "+1" or "-1" and putting any stock in the accumulated total isn't why we are here.

#24 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:55 AM

As my fellow administrators have tried to point out and I will reiterate: the reputation system is meaningless to us.

It came as part of the software upgrade for the forums. It was not requested. We don't look at it. We don't care about the number.

But that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm thick-skinned enough that I don't care for the number, either. My concern is that it might have other consequences. What if, for example, you get a new member in who expresses an unpopular opinion and their reputation gets assaulted? What happens when they go elsewhere on the internet and tell everyone that CBn is a horrible forum because you're not welcome unless you think the way the majority do? The forum's reputation will suffer, and it will only reinforce the standing of the people with the prevailing opinion - and since a lot of members take pride in CBn being the best Bond-related forum on the internet (I've heard the comments about others), I see it as having the potential to derail the entire forum. It's not something that will happen overnight, but it is something that I have seen take place, and it's not nice. If you don't believe me, try visiting the Bored of Studies forums some time. Or watch this:

(Don't be put off by the title - it was uploaded by a member of the forums; they basically tried to entrap him because they didn't agree with him.)

#25 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:23 AM

I think the point system can be disabled so the buttons are still there, but no longer work. I've seen that on several other boards using similar software.

#26 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

I'm thick-skinned enough that I don't care for the number, either. My concern is that it might have other consequences.

It really doesn't appear that way.

#27 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

It really doesn't appear that way.

Then you clearly didn't read my post. Like I said, I've seen the reputation system destroy other forums.

#28 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

But that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm thick-skinned enough that I don't care for the number, either. My concern is that it might have other consequences. What if, for example, you get a new member in who expresses an unpopular opinion and their reputation gets assaulted? What happens when they go elsewhere on the internet and tell everyone that CBn is a horrible forum because you're not welcome unless you think the way the majority do? The forum's reputation will suffer, and it will only reinforce the standing of the people with the prevailing opinion - and since a lot of members take pride in CBn being the best Bond-related forum on the internet (I've heard the comments about others), I see it as having the potential to derail the entire forum. It's not something that will happen overnight, but it is something that I have seen take place, and it's not nice.

This is a fan forum.

If it´s too rough for anyone then there is a wonderful solution: stay away.

Works for other forums.

Should work for anyone.

I love CBn. And if I worried about my reputation then I would clearly think about the way I express myself here.

#29 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:41 AM

All I expressed was my thoughts that OHMSS was an abysmal Bond film. I might have used harder language to express myself than I might normally, but there was no other way to express my contempt for the film - no different to what 90% of people here do when talking about Brosnan. I shouldn't have to tiptoe because I'm afraid I might upset someone. Especially when they don't extend the same courtesy to others.

#30 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

But that's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm thick-skinned enough that I don't care for the number, either.

But clearly you do care.

Look at your post where you state:

"I lost a whole heap of reputation simply because I offered the opinion that OHMSS is not a good film."

That tells me you are keeping track of a virtual number that no one else puts any value to.

We don't reward people if their reputation gets to a certain number, we don't punish people if it gets below a certain number.

Your concern for future members is noted. Help us welcome them, help keep the discussion pertinent, and I think your fears will be allayed.

Reply to this topic