20 replies to this topic

#1 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:54 PM

Cite - if you wouldn't mind - the most visually impressive Blu-rays you have seen. (I don't really care about sound. Much more interested in picture quality.)

Image-wise, plenty of Blu-ray titles are good (although, sadly, plenty aren't), but let's focus here on the cream of the crop. Those discs that really made you sit up and go: "Wow, now this is what high definition's all about!"

I'm not a techie, but I know when I'm so impressed I'm knocked sideways, and I'm sure you do too. Hopefully, this thread will end up sorting out a list of titles that are "musts" for the Blu-ray enthusiast.

My picks:

THE GREATEST EVER

BARAKA. From Wikipedia: Following previous DVD releases, in 2007 the original 65 mm negative was re-scanned at 8K (a horizontal resolution of 8192 pixels) with equipment designed specifically for Baraka at FotoKem Laboratories. The automated 8K film scanner, operating continuously, took more than three weeks to finish scanning more than 150000 frames (taking approximately 12–13 seconds to scan each frame), producing over 30 terabytes of image data in total. After a 16-month digital intermediate process, including a 96 kHz/24 bit audio remaster by Stearns for the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, the superior result was finally re-released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in October, 2008. Project supervisor Andrew Oran says this remastered Baraka is "arguably the highest quality DVD that's ever been made". Chicago Sun-Times critic Roger Ebert describes the Blu-ray release as "the finest video disc I have ever viewed or ever imagined."

On a decent HDTV, the BARAKA Blu-ray will cause your eyeballs to explode. It truly is that stunning. Excellent film, too.

THE BEST OF THE BEST

APOCALYPTO. Not an enormous fan of this film (although I do enjoy it), but Blu-ray brings it to life like you won't believe. Never mind the story: focus instead on those amazing sets and costumes in pin-sharp clarity. I imagine that the fact that APOCALYPTO was shot on high definition digital video contributes a lot to its awesomeness on Blu-ray.

BABEL. Alejandro González Iñárritu's masterpiece boasts some of the most stunning cinematography of recent years (and, arguably, of all time), and Blu-ray more than does justice to it. The Tokyo scenes are especially dazzling to look at.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. Another film that doubtless looks so good on Blu-ray chiefly because of the way it was shot (Kubrick filmed it in Super Panavision 70, using a single-strip 65 mm negative). Also, a lot of time and trouble was evidently taken for the Blu-ray transfer (if only that were always the case!), resulting in - surely - one of the greatest visual knockouts that the Blu-ray format has ever seen or ever will see. 2001 always used to be cited as one of those films that one needed to see on the cinema screen in order to appreciate, but I wonder whether that still remains the case.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

BLADE RUNNER. A gleaming Blu-ray transfer that reveals plenty of hitherto hidden image detail. The film's remarkable production design has never looked more, erm, remarkable.

CHUNGKING EXPRESS. This was always a great visual experience, thanks to the wonderful compositions of virtuoso cinematographer Christopher Doyle, who has been dubbed "a calligrapher of light". On Blu-ray, however, Wong Kar-Wai's film is colourful and vibrant as never before - a rich and hypnotic work of moving pictures.

THE DARK KNIGHT. All of it looks amazing, but the stuff shot in IMAX is orgasmic.

MOONRAKER. All of the Bonds look terrific on Blu-ray, but MOONRAKER is arguably the best-looking of the bunch. The Rio scenes are especially impressive, and it's hard to believe that an old Bond movie like this one could ever be made to look better.

#2 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

I’m really only allowing myself one foot through the door to this thread, as, sadly, my Samsung™ is only 1080i compatible (as opposed to the big chunga, 1080p). My understanding of the tech here, is that I’m not getting the ultimate in HD.

<waiting for the sobs in the crowd to die down>

Still, I do think it is the case that Blu-Ray™ is expected to be a better quality picture than regular DVD, even when pitted together on the equal playing ground of 1080i.

So, my nomination for your thread, Loomis, is Zhang’s CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER. On Blu-Ray. (Naturally.)

Mercy. The colors! I made an appointment with my optometrist after seeing that one, just in case I hurt something.

#3 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

The disc I always use to show Blu-ray off is "The Aviator," especially the chapter where Hughes takes Hepburn to her family home for lunch. The detail and depth is just incredible. Also, and not just because this is CBn, but CR and QOS are very good as well.

#4 B. Brown

B. Brown

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Not just a visually stunning BluRay title, but a visually stunning title all together.

You can't go wrong with it. I swear.

#5 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

MOONRAKER. All of the Bonds look terrific on Blu-ray, but MOONRAKER is arguably the best-looking of the bunch. The Rio scenes are especially impressive, and it's hard to believe that an old Bond movie like this one could ever be made to look better.

I actually hired Moonraker on Blu-ray this week - my first Bond Blu-ray experience - and am dying to see how it looks in hi-def!

Coincidentally, 2001: A Space Odyssey was another title I hired for the week.

#6 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

I was most impressed with how Inglourious Basterds looks, both CR & QOS are impressive but of recent I bought Spike Lee's masterwork Do The Right Thing and for 20 year old low budget film it looks stunning, Ernest Dickerson's distinctive cinematography looks amazing and the DTS soundtrack is superb Public Enemy litterally leaps out of my 5.1 HD set up.

I have to say the difference when it's a decent presentation is night and day with Blu to standard def, I love my Blu ray player and rarely watch DVD with the exception of The Wire recently.

I haven't watched it properly but flicking through Band of Brothers looks astonishing I can only imagine what Pacific will look like on the format.

Zodiac is another impressive Blu ray,

Jaws & Raiders are 2 titles I can't wait to see get the HD treatment.

#7 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

North by Northwest.
A stunning restoration for a film made in the fifties. It simply looks great.

#8 B. Brown

B. Brown

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

North by Northwest.

Did you watch the new BluRay version or the standard version?

#9 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

North by Northwest.

The one I have is the BluRay 50th anniversary, released last year. Faultless transfer.

#10 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

Posted Image

#11 B. Brown

B. Brown

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:24 PM

North by Northwest.

The one I have is the BluRay 50th anniversary, released last year. Faultless transfer.

Interesting. I'm still teetering ... not sure whether or not I want to invest in a Blu-Ray player or not.

Blu-Ray versions like this, and many other classics, certainly are tempting.

#12 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

My nod goes to the Planet Earth documentary. Just stunning.

For movies, the newer animated ones all look nice. Wall-E is one of my favorites. The first 30 minutes or so when he is on earth looks great. Moonraker is another that is visually impressive.

I’m really only allowing myself one foot through the door to this thread, as, sadly, my Samsung™ is only 1080i compatible (as opposed to the big chunga, 1080p). My understanding of the tech here, is that I’m not getting the ultimate in HD.

Still, I do think it is the case that Blu-Ray™ is expected to be a better quality picture than regular DVD, even when pitted together on the equal playing ground of 1080i.

The difference between the two is much more subtle than dramatic. You are still getting an excellent picture. My old HDTV is a Pioneer Elite rear projection that is 1080i & was hooked-up through component video (it was the generation before HDMI was released). It's real close in quality to my current 1080p Mitsubishi. I'm sure if you did a true side by side comparison you would see some difference but I would continue to enjoy what you have. What I really noticed when I upgraded is that the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio tracks that you can only get through HDMI are superior to their lossy counterparts.

#13 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

2001 jumped to mind when I saw the title thread alone. Another classic sci-fi film from the same era is Planet of the Apes.

I think the best representation of Blu-ray is the presentation of older films. Something newer we can expect to have a great transfer, but the older films we've seen in countless forms - standard TV, cable TV, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray. When done right, a Blu-ray presentation makes you feel like you are seeing something for the first time again, which is possibly the highest compliment you can pay it.

The Godfather is maybe the best example of this. As my favorite film of all time, I've seen it look like something made during the Edison era for years. The Blu-ray presents it just right, not attempting to look like something made a year ago, but as it should.

I bought Blu-ray for Bond. I was one who thought the UEs were the last word and figured since I invested in a Blu-ray I may as well get the series on Blu-ray as well, although the special features were always as much of a selling ponit. I was in for a surprise that for the second time in two years I was stunned by a new standard of viewing Bond films. The only downside I can think of is having to wait for more new titles to be released.

For television series, I like the way The Prisoner has been presented. I also have the first two seasons of Star Trek. These are nice, but the quality varies. Some shots are very sharp and others seem soft. And when you see the upgraded CGI effects and then the normal presentation, it's a jolt.

#14 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

Interesting. I'm still teetering ... not sure whether or not I want to invest in a Blu-Ray player or not.

Blu-Ray versions like this, and many other classics, certainly are tempting.

If you have a good 1080p HDTV, you won't be sorry about upgrading to Blu Ray.

#15 Joe Bond

Joe Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

2001 jumped to mind when I saw the title thread alone. Another classic sci-fi film from the same era is Planet of the Apes.

I think the best representation of Blu-ray is the presentation of older films. Something newer we can expect to have a great transfer, but the older films we've seen in countless forms - standard TV, cable TV, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray. When done right, a Blu-ray presentation makes you feel like you are seeing something for the first time again, which is possibly the highest compliment you can pay it.

The Godfather is maybe the best example of this. As my favorite film of all time, I've seen it look like something made during the Edison era for years. The Blu-ray presents it just right, not attempting to look like something made a year ago, but as it should.

I bought Blu-ray for Bond. I was one who thought the UEs were the last word and figured since I invested in a Blu-ray I may as well get the series on Blu-ray as well, although the special features were always as much of a selling ponit. I was in for a surprise that for the second time in two years I was stunned by a new standard of viewing Bond films. The only downside I can think of is having to wait for more new titles to be released.

For television series, I like the way The Prisoner has been presented. I also have the first two seasons of Star Trek. These are nice, but the quality varies. Some shots are very sharp and others seem soft. And when you see the upgraded CGI effects and then the normal presentation, it's a jolt.

I agree on all the points you made. Especially on a TV show like the Prisoner where over here in the U.S. you were forced to watch horribly interlaced DVD's compared to the Blu-ray which is crystal clear and is very film like which is way better than what would have been seen when they were originally broadcasted. Same goes for Star Trek and I am glad they included the original effects with the Blu-ray. Its tough for me to mention titles that have not been mentioned on this thread but I feel that The African Queen's Blu-ray is pretty impressive since it pretty much blows the previous versions I have seen out of the water. I certainly can't wait until the original Indiana Jones Trilogy get released on the format as well as Ben-Hur.

#16 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

The difference between the two is much more subtle than dramatic. You are still getting an excellent picture. My old HDTV is a Pioneer Elite rear projection that is 1080i & was hooked-up through component video (it was the generation before HDMI was released). It's real close in quality to my current 1080p Mitsubishi. I'm sure if you did a true side by side comparison you would see some difference but I would continue to enjoy what you have. What I really noticed when I upgraded is that the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio tracks that you can only get through HDMI are superior to their lossy counterparts.

Well, Professor, you've convinced me that I might be able to put my other foot inside the door, but now you're saying I have to remove the first one! I've got my Blu-Ray player going HDMI direct into my 1080i TV, and you're right, the picture is worth being happy with. (I am upset with the way whites are rendered on my Samsung though. It's like I'm looking at the TV through a screendoor.) However, my AV amplifier doesn't have HDMI inputs, so I'm using an optical cable from my Blu-Ray player for my audio signal. But I don't think that prevents me from hearing the TrueHD tracks. I am able to select them at least, and my receiver is showing me the 'DTS' light, and, most importantly... the sound I'm getting has been the most noticible improvement since buying the BR player. Perhaps I'm imagining things, but even regular DVDs seem to sound better on my Blu-ray player; bass is tighter, surround sounds are smoothed out.

#17 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

I actually hired Moonraker on Blu-ray this week - my first Bond Blu-ray experience - and am dying to see how it looks in hi-def!

Coincidentally, 2001: A Space Odyssey was another title I hired for the week.

My problem with Moonraker is that it is TOO good, as it now exposes the ropey rear projection. Look at the scene where Bond is in the helicopter on his way to Drax's estate. Ack!

#18 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:14 AM

Well, Professor, you've convinced me that I might be able to put my other foot inside the door, but now you're saying I have to remove the first one! I've got my Blu-Ray player going HDMI direct into my 1080i TV, and you're right, the picture is worth being happy with. (I am upset with the way whites are rendered on my Samsung though. It's like I'm looking at the TV through a screendoor.) However, my AV amplifier doesn't have HDMI inputs, so I'm using an optical cable from my Blu-Ray player for my audio signal. But I don't think that prevents me from hearing the TrueHD tracks. I am able to select them at least, and my receiver is showing me the 'DTS' light, and, most importantly... the sound I'm getting has been the most noticible improvement since buying the BR player. Perhaps I'm imagining things, but even regular DVDs seem to sound better on my Blu-ray player; bass is tighter, surround sounds are smoothed out.

You are definitely not imagining an improvement in audio quality, at least not with the DTS-HD Master Audio tracks. Let me explain in some more detail.

You do need to go with HDMI cables to get the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA tracks. It's a bandwidth issue. An optical cable will handle a max of 1.5 Mbps (megabits per second) of data. The lossless formats output between 1.5 Mbps to 6 Mbps. Now, if you are listening to a DTS-HD MA signal, you are likely listening to DTS Core Audio. This will deliver 1.5 Mbps audio quality which is a very good improvement over the standard 640K you get off of a DVD. Here is the DTS page that references it (the section on compatibility & a boost in audio quality). They talk about this Core being a benefit for older receivers but the same thing happens with an optical connection. I don't believe Dolby does anything like this so, with the TrueHD track, you are basically getting DVD quality audio.

On you hearing some better audio quality on your DVD's, it could be that your Blu-ray player is doing some internal decoding & that decoder is better than the one in your receiver because it's newer. Not sure if this is the case - just a guess. B)

#19 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:24 AM

You are definitely not imagining an improvement in audio quality, at least not with the DTS-HD Master Audio tracks. Let me explain in some more detail.

You do need to go with HDMI cables to get the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA tracks. It's a bandwidth issue. An optical cable will handle a max of 1.5 Mbps (megabits per second) of data. The lossless formats output between 1.5 Mbps to 6 Mbps. Now, if you are listening to a DTS-HD MA signal, you are likely listening to DTS Core Audio. This will deliver 1.5 Mbps audio quality which is a very good improvement over the standard 640K you get off of a DVD. Here is the DTS page that references it (the section on compatibility & a boost in audio quality). They talk about this Core being a benefit for older receivers but the same thing happens with an optical connection. I don't believe Dolby does anything like this so, with the TrueHD track, you are basically getting DVD quality audio.

On you hearing some better audio quality on your DVD's, it could be that your Blu-ray player is doing some internal decoding & that decoder is better than the one in your receiver because it's newer. Not sure if this is the case - just a guess. B)

Thank you for that professor. Clearly you've moved broadened your knowledge of the world beyond geology to now include technology.

Frickin' technology. Sometimes I swear I'd be better off just not knowing what I'm missing.

#20 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

On you hearing some better audio quality on your DVD's, it could be that your Blu-ray player is doing some internal decoding & that decoder is better than the one in your receiver because it's newer. Not sure if this is the case - just a guess. :tdown:

Thank you for that professor. Clearly you've moved broadened your knowledge of the world beyond geology to now include technology.

Frickin' technology. Sometimes I swear I'd be better off just not knowing what I'm missing.

Your welcome. The geology stuff is definitely less frustrating. B)

#21 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

Frickin' technology. Sometimes I swear I'd be better off just not knowing what I'm missing.]

Your welcome. The geology stuff is definitely less frustrating. B)

I'll tell you one thing... if I find out about any more shortcomings in my system, the two sciences will meet with a resounding crash when I throw a rock through my A/V unit!