Fleming's Operation Mistletoe

11 replies to this topic

#1 Professor Darkglobe

Professor Darkglobe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

Do you think this ever factored into a Bond novel? Or is this even real?

http://www.members.a...onspircacy.html

Ian Fleming knew that Hitler, Himmler and Hess were all fascinated by the occult, particularly Astrology, but also by Occultist rituals. Secret Agents such as Frau Nagenast , an Astrologer who Hess consulted and paid, were employed to produce charts that pointed to the 10 May being a propitious moment for Hess to fly to Britain. Fleming carefully made sure that the Astrological forecasts that Hess received from his usual Astrologers contained very similar information. This was accomplished using intrigue, bribery and forgery.

Ian Fleming also carried out Operation 'Mistletoe'. Operating with Aleistair Crowley, an expert in German occultism, Fleming and others carried out secret occult rituals in Ashdown Forest. These rituals had something to do with the fact that many leading Nazis were members of the Order of the Golden Dawn - an occult secret society. Occultism was the driving force behind many of the Nazi Party's organisations. The SS were brainwashed and indoctrinated using occult ceremonies. Two German SS officers, codenamed: 'Kestrel' and 'Sea Eagle' were contacted through the the Romanian Mission in London. They attended the rituals in Ashdown Forest, and no doubt reported back to Rudolf Hess that the Order of the Golden Dawn was alive and well amongst prominent members of British society, and that they were waiting to take power once peace was established. Hess was convinced that his plan to bring peace with Britain could lead to greater things. Perhaps even Britain joining Germany in Hitler's Armaggedon-like struggle against Soviet Russia.

However, Hess was unlikely to be convinced by just Astrology, the occult, and correspondence through the Haushofers'. Hess needed more substantial proof concerning the Peace Party. The main plot was hatched through SO1's contacts in the banking and commercial world. Leonard Ingrams was probably the mastermind behind this part of the plot. By using British Secret Service agents to establish convincing links with people Hitler and Hess trusted, SO1 could prove to them that the Duke of Hamilton really did have a Peace Party in Britain.

One of the most important people in this scheme was Carl Burkhardt (the former Governor of Danzig, and then Head of the Swiss based International Red Cross - someone who Hess and Hitler trusted implicitly.) Meetings between Burkhardt and Borenius (who had connections with leading British Politicians as an Art dealer and Historian) and subsequently Albrecht Haushofer (Hess' Adviser) helped to convince Hess that a Peace Party led by the Duke of Hamilton existed in Britain.

The final move to lure Hess to Britain was through Burkhardt. Burkhardt was given false information by a City Agent - someone in International Banking, on good terms with both the Foreign Office, secret service and Ministry of Information. Rickatson Hatt (Press Secretary of the Bank of England) is the mostly likely person. Norman, the Governor of the Bank of England met regularly with Sir Campbell Stuart, the former head of the Political Warfare Executive and representatives of the Red Cross between January and March 1941. Rickatson Hatt had an elevated status in the Bank. Norman's diary records, 'Clearance from Morton [Churchill's Intelligence Adviser]re Hatt'. Rickatson Hatt most likely passed false information about the Duke and his Peace Party to Haushofer, perhaps via intermediaries, perhaps not, who thus passed it to Hess. Hess now had overwhelming evidence from leading officials that he could fly safely to Britain to meet the Peace Party's leader, the Duke of Hamilton. The Duke, a senior officer in the RAF in Scotland would keep the British fighters away from him so he could land.

It has been conjectured that Hamilton knew about it, and was waiting for Hess, but Hess flew into the wrong airspace and was nearly intercepted by a Bolton-Paul Defiant Nightfighter. It is quite likely that Hamilton did know and was waiting for Hess, and was part of the SO1 plot. It is not an absolute requirement, but there is much evidence to suggest a tentative link with the plot, including a cover-up by Earl Mount Batten to recover papers from the Duke's home when he died.

The ultimate bait was the British offer of a meeting with King George VI, the Emperor of the British Empire. Hess was almost certainly given to understand that he would also meet General Sikorski, the Polish President who was in Newfoundland at the time. He was destined to fly to Britain on the 11th May 1941, to Prestwick, Scotland. Perhaps he was also told he would meet the Duke of Kent. Hess believed that with such people in charge of the Peace Party, and the possibility of being able to arrange a withdrawal from Poland, peace was a real possibility. Churchill would be ousted from power. The bait was placed. The trap was set.

If the plot was successful, SO1 probably wished to use Hess as a propaganda tool. However, using Hess in this way though would have probably ousted Churchill from power. His power was based on war with Germany, and this must have crossed the plotters minds as they laid their plans. There can be no suggestion that they were really organising a secret peace initiative, because Dennis Sefton Delmer, who joined SO1 the month Hess came to Britain, and a part of the plot, was very anti-Nazi. He put a captured Nazi sign on his desk which read: "Hier sind Juden unerwunscht" ("The presence of Jews is not desirable") so as not to lose his objective: the total defeat of Nazi Germany. It was a very British thing to do: standing against the bully, on the side of the persecuted. It was Britain's historical mission. SO1 never lost sight of it for a second.

#2 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

A fascinting read. I don't know if it's true or not; but it would be cool if it were. :)

#3 George Kaplan

George Kaplan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

Do you think this ever factored into a Bond novel? Or is this even real?

No clue if its real or not, but certainly "supernatural" elements creep into the Bond series.

Spoiler

#4 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:18 AM

I'm like the other posters, I don't know if it is factual but it would be cool if it were. I wish Fleming would have used more of his real experience in writing the novels. I know he was shooting for the thriller/noir style popular back in the day but still...

#5 *Gala*

*Gala*

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

http://www.members.a...onspircacy.html

Hitler, Himmler and Hess were all fascinated by the occult, particularly Astrology, but also by Occultist rituals. Secret Agents were employed to produce charts that pointed to the 10 May being a propitious moment for Hess to fly to Britain.

These rituals had something to do with the fact that many leading Nazis were members of the Order of the Golden Dawn - an occult secret society. Occultism was the driving force behind many of the Nazi Party's organisations. The SS were brainwashed and indoctrinated using occult ceremonies. Hess was convinced that his plan to bring peace with Britain could lead to greater things. Perhaps even Britain joining Germany in Hitler's Armaggedon-like struggle against Soviet Russia.

If the plot was successful, SO1 probably wished to use Hess as a propaganda tool. However, using Hess in this way though would have probably ousted Churchill from power. His power was based on war with Germany, and this must have crossed the plotters minds as they laid their plans.

I've taken out the bits so that everything that's left here is what I've heard of before. The rest I don't know how true it is or not (even though I do wish Fleming had included it in a novel!) but what's left here I've heard of in sources ranging from my history textbook to a book about Secret Societies my father has just received for XMas and he let me peek through...

#6 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

Very interesting topic. I shall have to put my research hat on and study this issue at some time in the near future.

4A

#7 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

These episodes are touched on in James Bond's London by Gary Giblin and I faintly remember other references I've read. I don't have the book in front of me, so I cannot confirm Giblin's bibliographical sources. I do remember that some of these events were contributed by Crowley's son, Amado(?) Interesting how modern history looks back at Crowley in a starkly sinister light as Satan's very own man on earth (which is not far from what I think was Crowley's personal mission in life), though in Fleming's time he was known as a mere eccentric and "enchanter."

Edited by superado, 04 January 2007 - 04:51 PM.

#8 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

I have Giblin's book and used it on my last trip to London. I don't recall these references being in there, but will look again in the book.

BTW, Giblin was very helpful and was in e-mail contact with me before I made that trip a few years back (thanks to Matt Sherman's referral).

4A

#9 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:28 AM

I have Giblin's book and used it on my last trip to London. I don't recall these references being in there, but will look again in the book.

Now that I have the book in front of me, it's on p. 93, "16:16, The Cavendish Hotel." The episode was taken from The Life of Ian Fleming by Donald McCormick.

#10 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

Now that I have the book in front of me, it's on p. 93, "16:16, The Cavendish Hotel." The episode was taken from The Life of Ian Fleming by Donald McCormick.

I've just looked it up. Very interesting indeed. Rudolf Hess escaping to London, then spending the rest of his life in Spandau prison. If I recall correctly, I think he was the last prisoner of Spandau.

This fellow Speirs of Band of Brothers fame, I believe was also commandant of Spandau prison for some time after the war.

Cheers,

4A

#11 superado

superado

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

I've just looked it up. Very interesting indeed. Rudolf Hess escaping to London, then spending the rest of his life in Spandau prison. If I recall correctly, I think he was the last prisoner of Spandau.

This fellow Speirs of Band of Brothers fame, I believe was also commandant of Spandau prison for some time after the war.

Cheers,

4A

What a coincidence! I rewatched BoB over the holidays and only picked that fact about Speirs for the first time. Hess did spend the rest of his life in Spandau and Hess' story was fictionalized a bit in the Wild Geese II in which Lawrence Olivier played an old Hess.

#12 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:48 PM

Cheers,

4A

What a coincidence! I rewatched BoB over the holidays and only picked that fact about Speirs for the first time. Hess did spend the rest of his life in Spandau and Hess' story was fictionalized a bit in the Wild Geese II in which Lawrence Olivier played an old Hess.

Yeppers. More of that seven degress of separation type stuff. Speirs' son went to college with me and was later stationed with me. He never said a thing about his father.

Coincidences. We are all more connected than we think, and even more so now that travel is cheap and we have communication media like the internet. It's a Jungian kinda world.

Cheers,

4A

Edited by Four Aces, 06 January 2007 - 07:08 PM.